US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:39 pm 

Been looking at transports and not really knowing just what I should be looking for.
I have a Eastern Electric Mini Max Dac, going to a old Sony player right now. The Mini Max is a
Keeper.
Should I be looking for a dedicated transport or up grade my old CD player ? If so suggestions would be appreciated.
I hate to put a budget on it but I will have to. Like to stay around 500.00. Hoping I can get something that will compliment my Dac.
Thanks,
Dave
Dadt531@aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:14 am 

Given your $500.00 budget -

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_779CXCCDS/ ... ilver.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:29 am 

Anyone have first hand experience with the Cambridge CXC Transport ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:28 am 

I had recommended this CD player in another thread on here, but it makes a fantastic transport. I used one for years as a transport until I replaced it with a C.E.C. TL-2. C.E.C. makes the BEST transports, but they are pretty expensive.

Rotel RCD-1072

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:22 am 

I bought an OPPO 103D and for $600 it is an awesome machine......a great player on it's own and pairs great with my NAD M51 DAC .....awesome combo. OPPO's support is great too. I use it for everything, CD,SACD , BluRay, Netflix, Pandora, it's the best money I've spent on gear in a while, huge bang for the buck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:47 pm 

Audioelevations wrote:

I tried the Cambridge Audio CXC Transport but returned it. It's a very good transport for CDs but it really limiting terms of any other formats. I ended up purchasing the OPPO BDT-101IC, which is basically an OPPO-103 without the network apps and an different DAC chipset. I bought my directly from OPPO for about $400 bucks. It uses the same pickup mechanism as the OPPO 103 and 105. I connect my OPPO player to my Ayre Codex DAC and the results are excellent. If you don't need a DAC and you're just looking for a reliable player that can read multiple formats including blu-ray and SACD. I would consider any of the OPPO models.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:33 pm 

cygnusx wrote:
Audioelevations wrote:

I tried the Cambridge Audio CXC Transport but returned it. It's a very good transport for CDs but it really limiting terms of any other formats. I ended up purchasing the OPPO BDT-101IC, which is basically an OPPO-103 without the network apps and an different DAC chipset. I bought my directly from OPPO for about $400 bucks. It uses the same pickup mechanism as the OPPO 103 and 105. I connect my OPPO player to my Ayre Codex DAC and the results are excellent. If you don't need a DAC and you're just looking for a reliable player that can read multiple formats including blu-ray and SACD. I would consider any of the OPPO models.

How would you say it sounds?

I was considering the CXC, but am currently in the process of getting a Musical Fidelity transport from here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:12 am 

I use a Lexicon RT-20 as a transport, going to a Bryston DAC , in my
High end rig. It is devastating as a CD player, and awesome as a transport.
This was....a $5k unit, but about $650 on the used market. Build quality is
Killer.
Another great one is a Bel Canto PL1-A. Stereophile class A+ rated !. Absolutely
Top shelf used as a CD player, or a transport. Again....killer build quality. This
Was around $9k new, but sometimes can be found for under a grand used. I know
This is more than your stated limit.....just save slightly longer.....it will kill the others
Ones mentioned. A top pick is the oppo bdp-105. It again is a little more, but clearly
Superior, to the bdp-103. Much better DACS, etc.

Hope this helps you...(I have compared MANY, and stayed with these)

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:36 am 

I have a CXC, and I can say that for the money, it is hard to get a better transport than this. I have a Moon by SimAudio 260D transport that cost 2k, and I cannot hear a difference between the two transports using the same DAC and same interconnect.

I am actually selling the CXC because I am currently using a Woo Audio CD transport, so if you are interested in a lightly used, babied CXC from a smoke free home for around $300, send me a message. I am just about to post it to this website, just have to get around to posting the pictures. Comes with box; everything included.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:31 am 

@Rwolcott

Keep in mind that this thread is over a year old....the OP has probably made a purchase by now and moved on.

"Dave's not here, Man." :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:31 pm 

Buy a used Oppo player - great universal transport and more

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:51 am 

I used a Cambridge Audio CXC transport for several years before I decided to upgrade, and I can say, that for the price, its hard to beat this spinner as a CD transport. If you are looking to play other formats as well, look at something else like an Oppo, but for redbook audio, the CXC sounds just as good as my Sim Audio 260D ($2000) transport. The CXC is a great redbook audio player; it punches way above its price point.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:52 am 

Oops, just realized I already replied to this thread, AND its like 10 years old.

Yeah, I'm a total genius.