US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:01 am 

I'm currently using a Pioneer Elite BPD-23FD DVD player basically as a CD player. Up to now I've been connecting it thru RCA interconnects with acceptable results. I'm buying a Jolida FX tube DAC and was wondering if I would do better by connecting the BPD-23FX to the tube DAC via a Audioquest Cinnamon optical cable. The only digital output on the BPD-23FX is optical.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:09 am 

You'll just need to try it for sure. The DAC in the Pioneer might be better than the Jolida, (I doubt it, but you never know).

Optical (toslink) should be the last choice to hook up any source to a DAC, but since that's your only option, try it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:23 am 

MrAudio wrote:
You'll just need to try it for sure. The DAC in the Pioneer might be better than the Jolida, (I doubt it, but you never know).

Optical (toslink) should be the last choice to hook up any source to a DAC, but since that's your only option, try it.

explain that. I am in similar boat. just want to use the right connections. figure regular rca cable is the least desired. but I dont. ive always used them cause thats what i HAD but it was not all I had..

my current preamp (Sherwood newcastle P965) has regular RCA inputs....3 or 4 optical inputs /outputs and the usual analog inputss. it also has the coaxial digital inputs

my preamp uses 192/24hz dacs . I want to hook it up the best posiibleway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:44 pm 

I don't think there is a *right* way or a *wrong* way to connect the DAC - what he's saying is you should just try and see what sounds better for you.

Optical has been known to have issues like jitter for various reasons, but you may find it better sounding for your particular setup.

Try it - nothing to lose.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:57 pm 

In my understanding the use of rca could mean you are moving analog signals. Analog sound can be "flavored" by the cable used. Some sound better than others. By using an optical cable, unless a cable or connector is damaged, you should be moving unflavored 1s and 0s transparently. This would allow you to evaluate which DAC you prefer in your chain. The trial and error is the fun part of the hobby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:45 am 

Toslink optical may have its problems, as one mentioned earlier, but it is also not susceptible to RFI or EMI interference. Just something to keep in mind.

I use a Toslink cable from my CD transport to my dac, over an AES/EBU because the glass Toslink sounds better (yes, I have tried the AES/EBU cord to compare). Optical toslink can sound great imo, but it needs to be a quality cable, ie one made with glass or quartz, not a cheapo one made with plastic on the inside.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:56 am 

To the OP, one would assume the Jolida would be a better sounding DAC then the one built into your Pioneer player, but the only way to know for sure is to try it out. Toslink is generally the worst option for digital transmission (digital coax is the better option if you have it (or better still AES or BNC)), but with that being said if its your only option, many recommend glass as the best type of toslink & these are well regarded (& much cheaper then what a glass cable normally costs from an audiophile brand company) http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

To some of the other questions in this thread, normal RCA cables are an analog interconnect, ie the digital conversion is taking place in the device before the cable. In a digital cable the digital to analog conversion is taking place in the device after the cable. So depending on what type of cable you are using will change what piece of equipment is doing the conversion & therefore can change the quality of the sound. Typically the device that has the better DAC (digital to analog converter) is the piece of equipment you want doing the conversion & run your cables accordingly.

Basic example if you have a cable box hooked up to a half decent receiver, its likely better to use the digital output of the cable box as the DAC in the receiver is probably better then the DAC in the cable box.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:55 am 

Why is Toslink generally the worst choice?