US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:47 pm 

It is only after several hours of internet searching, researching, and experimenting
that I ask for some help with these (seemingly "easy") connections. Color me slow i guess.

Ok, so I cant get sound to go from the Mac through the ethernet to the Bel Canto Renderer,
and then out of the renderer via SPDIF into a Bel Canto (BC) DAC 3.7.
First things first, I cant even get the Mac/app to recognize the Bel Canto Renderer

1. The Renderer manual (from 2012-ha ha) says to use JRiver.
. I downloaded it for free trial, checked forums and readboards, forums.
I dont get a drop down option for Bel Canto under the Player Options,
so the Mac and/or JRiver are not recognizing the Renderer.
I tried every permutation possible. no luck.and I can't find a step by step directions
2.. so then i tried to download Roon for free, since I saw online that some folks were using this.
but i use my trial period last year.
3. PureMusic-downloaded for free trial. despite the directions which state how easy
it is to program the Mac and PureMusic to select the ethernet output,
it did not work out either.

Help! I'm not a techie, but I know computer basics, any suggestions?
thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:08 pm 

Perhaps you could explain what isn't working —  i. e. what you are doing now, unsuccessfully, to get the Mac to recognize the Renderer. Try to set it out step by step. This will make troubleshooting somewhat easier.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:21 am 

check that Mac to DAC direct works;
then you will know it's the renderer at issue, at least.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:38 am 

You might want to post these questions over at Computer Audiophile:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:13 pm 

How are you connecting the Ethernet cable? Are you using it directly from the MAC to the BelCanto? If so, it may not work because you will need a crossover Ethernet cable or a switch/hub/router between them. If it is working, you should see lamps illuminate on the BelCanto Ethernet port.

Do you have the IP addresses of the two devices on the same network? Typically 192.168.1.(1-254). They also must be different (both cannot be set to 192.168.1.1 for example). Also, they may be set to something called DHCP. DHCP dynamically assigns IP addresses. But something must be running DHCP, and I doubt either the MAC or the BelCanto is. In this case, you'll need to set them manually. I would assign one to 192.168.1.10 and the other to 192.168.1.20. Your Network Mask will be 255.255.255.0. Your default gateway doesn't matter, unless you have them connected to the Internet, and then the IP is your router (but if you are connecting to the router, all of this is moot as it should be handling everything for you).

The above will put them on the same network, and then they can begin to talk to one another. Based on your description, I'd bet you are using a normal Ethernet cable between the two devices. This won't work because Ethernet is a full duplex system. There's a transmit line and a receive line. And because of this, both devices can talk and listen at the same time. With a normal Ethernet cable, Transmit is connected to Transmit on the other end. And receive to receive. That will not work. A Crossover Ethernet cable connect Transmit to Receive in both direction.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:43 am 

In JRiver, you need to set JRiver as a server. Go to JRiver forums and do a search. Follow step by step. In playing now, you will need your renderer to show up in JRiver and click on the renderer before playing. Make sure this all shows up and is allowed on your home network. Post your issues on JRiver and search your issues at JRiver before posting there.

Decide what program you plan to use, (JRiver, Roon, ect) and stick with it. You will make for confusion loading too many servers. Personally, IMO, Roon needs to fix their software.

Good luck and please post what works and doesn't work for the next person.