US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:22 pm 

In process of looking for a new universal player for my home theatre room. The room is 15 ft by 13ft and current set up is as follows

Speakers - Monitor Audio RX6
AV Receiver - Marantz AV7005
Power Amp - Rotel RMB 1075
Rear Speaker - Linn (forgot name but surround speakers)
DVD - Sony BDP 780
TV - Panasonic GT30 - 55 inch

Think weakest link in my system is the Blue ray player and looking for a change. I will be listening to about 60% music (quite a bit of streaming) and 40% movies and want an all in one unit. I have narrowed down to the following but open to suggestions however the player must play 3d also

(1) Cambridge Audio BD751/752
(2) Oppo 95 / 105
(3) Marantz UD 7007

Also having the right player that will match my current system - as I found Monitor Audio and Marantz work very well together.
No where in my area has anything I can demo so really asking for advice and suggestions

Thanks in advance for any responses

Simon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:35 am 

Hi Simon,

As an OPPO owner (BDP-83), I am biased towards them. I think for value and performance, OPPO does very well especially with video and music playback.

The BDP-95/105 does way more than my BDP-83 (network streaming being fully implemented being the biggest improvement) plus its audio section via analog connections being considered audiophile grade makes it a desirable piece for me. Good luck in your search.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:32 pm 

The top 3 choices are the Oppo BDP-105.

Clearaudio Insider Wood Reference, Graham 2.2, Basis 2001, Aesthetix Janus Signature, Classé CAM-400s, Magnepan 3.7, REL T9 (2), PS Audio PWD II, PS Audio PWT, Mac Mini with Pure Music, cables: Cardas Golden Reference

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:59 pm 

I've owned several universal players over the past 15+ years, and the best value -- by far -- is the Oppo. I currently own the Oppo 105, but it was preceded by the 103 which I thought was an outstanding buy. Oppo has had some refurbished 103's for sale on its website for $415.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:31 am 

Oppo all the way. But if we are going to spend $1199 on a 105 , why not get the 105D for $100 more ? The darbee video processor can enhance the image quite nicely if it is adjusted correctly. Just a thought, good luck in your search.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:48 am 

I would also recommend the Oppo 105 and depending on your budget you may want to consider the Dan Wright modified version with tube complement and separate power supply.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:11 pm 

I agree with the Oppo crowd.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:07 am 

Audio Research CD8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:07 pm 

I have owned various Oppo disc players for ten years or so. My present player is the BDP-95. I fell that they provide excellent sound and picture especially considering their cost.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:13 pm 

OPPO 95 vote here. I use one in my HT system for DVD, BDP, CD (redbook) and SACD. It streams as well. I have had it since new never a problem. I play it in my dedicated 2 channel system it does great there as well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:56 pm 

Aedv8sc wrote:
OPPO 95 vote here. I use one in my HT system for DVD, BDP, CD (redbook) and SACD. It streams as well. I have had it since new never a problem. I play it in my dedicated 2 channel system it does great there as well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:58 pm 

Denon DBT-1713UD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:47 am 

morty74 wrote:
In process of looking for a new universal player for my home theatre room. The room is 15 ft by 13ft and current set up is as follows

Speakers - Monitor Audio RX6
AV Receiver - Marantz AV7005
Power Amp - Rotel RMB 1075
Rear Speaker - Linn (forgot name but surround speakers)
DVD - Sony BDP 780
TV - Panasonic GT30 - 55 inch

Think weakest link in my system is the Blue ray player and looking for a change. I will be listening to about 60% music (quite a bit of streaming) and 40% movies and want an all in one unit. I have narrowed down to the following but open to suggestions however the player must play 3d also

(1) Cambridge Audio BD751/752
(2) Oppo 95 / 105
(3) Marantz UD 7007

Also having the right player that will match my current system - as I found Monitor Audio and Marantz work very well together.
No where in my area has anything I can demo so really asking for advice and suggestions

Thanks in advance for any responses

Simon

Music Direct sells all three of your choices. Contact Roger and he will help you. MD has a 60 day home trial. You can bring your choice home and try it for sixty days. If you're not happy, contact Roger and he will issue an RMA for return, and he will apply your money to the next one or until you find the one that works for you and your audio system.

I bought a pair of Focal 806V bookshelf speakers from him. A very good guy to deal with. Tell him that Tim from WV sent you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:09 am 

I disagree on the Oppo if you are using the built in DAC (analog outs) for music. My ancient Denon universal player knocks the Oppo's socks off. YMMV as always - I like a warm & smooth sound :) I think the current crop of Marantz players are pretty decent. I have not heard the Cambridge CXU, but I understand it to (a) sound a bit better than the Oppo 105 and (b) have a less buggy interface. Yes, I am one of the few who thinks the Oppo is buggy and slow.

A completely off the wall idea is the Sony UHPH1. Most people who say it is crap haven't actually heard it - you could get one from Amazon and return it if you don't like it :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:20 am 

i own a marantz dv player and the audio section is outstanding. i'm sure the oppo is also terrific and you would be satisfied with either!