US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:21 am 

Toby wrote:
Yes, it does.

analogluvr wrote:
Read up on confirmation bias. It explains the differences people hear.

The trouble with confirmation bias as an explanation is that in explaining, it denies any validity to all the other explanations. Whereas the opposite is not true.

In other words, confirmation bias is a sledge hammer with no subtlety to it, no accounting for individual circumstances or setups, no openings for further research and exploration.

All the other explanations actually allow confirmation bias, though. Interesting.

Good point....

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:24 pm 

OH NO!Another cable question, and what will soon start another raging debate about cables, then comments that anything more than zip cord is a waste of one's hard earned money, where are the measurements, and blah, blah, blah. I have been in the high end for 23 years. I know what I hear. I prefer tubes over solid state but that is not an absolute as I have a BAT amp that is solid state and I find it very musical. I prefer solid core cable, I have had no luck with anything made by Analysis Plus, Kimber or Cardas. I hear a sonic bliss with either Nordost or Audioquest and both are different design philosophies. I also can hear differences in symphony halls, guitars, and violins. I am sure that the concertmaster of the Seattle Symphony can tell differences in violins. Does he/she have to have a lab measure those differences? Is that even possible?
The point in my rambling is this, and many have already said what I am going to repeat and it is this: trust your ears. I have heard a $100K Levinson/Magnepan system sound awful, and I have heard a $2K system kick it's ass and that was not just me who heard the difference. Cables can be a blessing and it can be a curse. Once people thought the earth was flat, and also that the earth was the center of the universe. Great scientists were often considered heretics but eventually they were shown that their beliefs were indeed true. So be a heretic. Go listen to cables, and as many as you can. You will learn that cables DO make a difference. It can be a great journey albeit an expensive one but it does not have to be. But do keep an open mind, and most important, open ears. Do not be surprised or ashamed to what it is THAT YOU HEAR (not shouting at you - the caps are for emphasis).
Lastly, my wife has excellent hearing. I never tell her when I have changed cables, and later in the evening while the music is playing she will turn to me and ask me what have I done to the stereo, as she calls it. When I ask why she is asking, she will tell me that she can hear more of this, or less of that. She knows nothing of what I had done. While that may not be scientific enough for some, or a plain waste of money because I am not using zip cord from Radio Shack, I am not going to argue with what she says because she has no ego attached to the whole affair. Her ears hear a difference as it is so plain to see. I believe too, that your ears will also tell you when things are right for you.
Good luck....

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:16 pm 

zkidd wrote:
OH NO!Another cable question, and what will soon start another raging debate about cables, then comments that anything more than zip cord is a waste of one's hard earned money, where are the measurements, and blah, blah, blah......

For the record I have never witnessed a raging debate of any kind here in the USAM forums. I would welcome one. About anything. Anything at all.
C'mon guys take the gloves off and let it rip. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:58 pm 

Perhaps I has misspoke about the debate here specifically on USAM. But, that is NOT to say that there are not a plethora of similar "discussions" out on the internet about the pros and cons of cables where some people have been downright crass.
I do "stick by my guns" though and insist telling people to let their ears make the decisions. Cables do make a difference....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:56 am 

hifijones wrote:
Welcome to USAM and the forums.

As much as I would love to witness an all-out cable flame-war here in the forums, it ain't gonna happen. The forums here have yet to catch fire and that's a shame.

Every well-meaning audiophool has his own ideas and experiences when it comes to interconnects, speaker cables and power cords. Some guys think copper is copper and any well-designed and engineered cable with decent terminations will get the job done.

At the other end of the spectrum are guys who believe that super-esoteric cable designs with magnets, batteries and oil-dampening(!) are what's necessary to extract the most minute of musical information from a highly resolving audio system. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle but the important thing is to not get distracted by all of the hype surrounding the ongoing debate.

I think you'll discover that when it comes to cabling, system synergy is crucial because a given interconnect/speaker cable/power cord in one system may yield wildly different dividends/results in another system. Just try not to get caught up in the "money-invested-equals-performance" game. There are many fine affordable cable designs on the market so take the time that's necesssary to research what kind of cables work well with the specific components you have in your system. Unfortunately, to learn what you need to know will require you to explore the forums on other websites such as Canuck Audio Mart, AudiogoN, Audio Karma, Audio Asylum and the like.

If you're determined to take the full measure of your friends' Tara Labs cables, I would suggest that you borrow them from him if possible, perhaps when he's out of town on business or vacationing etc. If you like what you hear, then search for those same cables on the used market unless you're financially secure enough and have no problem paying full-retail. Most new high-end cables from the well established manufacturers, no matter how well they might perform, have an outrageously ridiculous MSRP that often times does not reflect the actual performance that they're capable of delivering. So if you always buy pre-owned cables, you'll generally recoup your investment if and when you decide to sell them in order to upgrade and/or audition other cables.

Have fun and remember: It's all about the music - not the gear. 8)

This is probably the best response to a cable inquiry I've yet read. It's fair and evenhanded and should be used as a sticky response for all future cable posts going forward

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:08 pm 

Yes, cables do make quite a difference. Different strokes, different folks. That is where a good relation with a good dealer comes into play. I can think of two national dealers who under the right circumstances will ship "loaners" to try. One is Chad Stelly at Acoustic Sound, the other Galan Carroll is in San Antonio. For my system I find solid core silver to work best, but solid core copper works in other systems almost as well. I also find that the silver speaker cables are the best sounding. Galen sent me several pairs and I just kept the best one. I have found the best value to be to work with used cables. The ones I am using now and plan to continue are the Audioquest Lapis from way back. They actually sound better than the current vintage in my system. Would not trade them even up for the new ones.

There are people who really get into cables. Always trading and the like. It is hard for me to justify some of the money that is being asked for on some of these. After all, a REALLY highly thought of cable last year still sounds the same as it did last year and the differences are subtle at best. Cables like most gear is not necessarily price to performance. Anyway, two cents.