US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:14 pm 

Normally, I do not step foot into the arena where cables are concerned. Having been in the world of "audiophilia" for about 26 years or so, I know of few, and perhaps none at all, topics that are more invidious than that of cable/wire. And here is the warning now: if you are one of those, then please stop reading this. All this post will do is incite you, get your blood boiling and cause a rant, that of which I do not want to read. I get it; there are people who just don't believe wire/cable makes a difference. If it cannot be measured, then there is nothing to it. I am sure that there are no differences in performance tires because really, there are no real scientific tests for those, or differences between a Stradivarius or a Maggini and so on.

Still here? Good! Again, I do not like to deal in hyperbole but in this case I am willing to do so and with honors. If you have any piece of equipment with a detachable power cord, you owe it to yourself to get a Black Sand Violet power cord. Here is the link:
https://www.blacksandaudio.net/power-co ... et-zi-mkii

I read a review on this cable on a headphone website where the reviewer had spent years testing power cords and his results. The reviewer recommended the Black Sands Audio cable highly, and he could not have been more spot on! I have tried several different brands over the years, cables from Cardas, Analysis Plus, Kimber, AudioQuest, PS Audio, homemade, DH Labs, Furutech and many others. None, and I really mean it, NONE, have performed as well as the Black Sands Audio Violet. My first one was used on my deHavilland UltraVerve III, a marvelous preamp in and of itself. After about 50 hours of use I was listening and it hit me that I was hearing things I had never heard before. The soundstage opened up, vocals were sweet and engaging, bass and noise floor tighter and deeper. Feel free to insert any and all audio reviewer cliches (the good ones that is) and this cable provides it. I just had to have another so I bought one on auction from another audio website. That cable is now on my CDP. Even with just about 12 hours on it I am again in love! Even my bride stopped as she was walking past the room wherein the audio land exists, and told me that she really liked whatever it was I had done. I asked why, and she succinctly replied that "it just sounds so much more like music, and good music at that". That my friends, is some of the highest praise something could receive because she rarely comments, let alone pay attention.

So, as it states in the "Subject" line, it is a crime not to have at least one of these. I am not sure how these cables are made. Information on that is scarce. I know that there is cryogentics involved but other than that I cannot tell you much. All I know is that this is the first cable I have purchased that does what I have expected the others that I have tried to do. There is nothing taken away, nothing seems added or artificial. It is just "pure" sounding, and so inviting.

I will shut up now. I am not sure who is in the market for aftermarket power cords and if you are, and are like me, there are so many out there but not much input from regular "Joes" who are not extremely wealthy with bazillions to spend on cables. Black Sands staff was great to work with, shipped quickly and their products are exceptionally well made. Get one. Heck, get two! I have not tried any on my amps, but on all of my source / front end these are simply stellar. You might want a whole bunch of these after you get your first one, just like me. Consider yourself warned!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:18 pm 

Glad you found something that sounds great to you. Too damn bad that cable is so system dependent.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:04 pm 

So true. Black Sand does offer a 30 day trial however. There is a re-stocking fee though. From some of the prices that some companies charge for their cable I do find the Black Sand cable to be "reasonable". I have had to kiss a lot of frogs before I found the prince of cables, at least for me. I simply wanted folks to know that these cables, for me, were worth trying and ultimately buying. And as is so true in this hobby (obsession?) your mileage may vary...
Thanks...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:39 pm 

Well I have had my share of cables including a Black Sand which as you suggest is a very accomplished performer.That said it fell short when I compared it to a Mark Tunis cable.Mark is an artisan out of Florida that manufactures custom cables,simply the best I've heard and I've heard many.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:55 am 

I recently had a moment, like you, for the first time in 30 years I'm chasing this hobby. I needed a replacement power cable for my Adcom GFP750 pre and got a delightful deal on a Zu Birth Power Cable. I bought it without much thought or preference. I just needed a real power cable. I plug this thing in and POW- more air, more 3D, more liquid vocals instantly. It was a shocking moment to discover that a power cable made that kind of audible difference. Again, in 30 years and through many near legendary set-ups, I've never had that happen.
So in my excitement I have to tell someone what happened here. My wife and friends don't give a sht about any of this, so I whip up a humorous little post on another audio forum exclaiming the joyful shock this cheap new revelation brought me.
The very subject, evidently, brings a-holes out of the woodwork with all kinds of Popular Science proclamations on the impossibility of wires effecting sound and talking to me like I'm some sort of schmuck. Like I have no idea what I'm hearing in my own rig and subject to audial hallucination. I even mentioned it the other day to a very well respected dealer near here- and he's had & heard everything in a cost no object way. He even started telling me how he once A/B'd expensive power cords and found that stock power cords were perfectly fine in most cases. I can't argue with him, he's a very bright guy who's heard everything- however, I had no problem with what I was hearing on my gear. I just wanted to replace a chewed up looking wire in my system and found a remarkable new sound while not expecting much or any difference at all.
I bought another one for my amp.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:17 am 

Thanks Zkidd, I always enjoy reading a well written shill post.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:42 pm 

timrhu wrote:
Thanks Zkidd, I always enjoy reading a well written shill post.

Well if he doesn't have a Black Sand pc currently for sale in the classifieds then he's not shilling. So quit trolling him.

Remember: "It's Chrit-mass time!" ~ James Brown...The Godfather of Soul