US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: better quality cd`s ?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:01 am 

Hello.
I have a simple question: where do I go to buy better quality cd`s ? I buy my cd`s on Amazon, or Barnes/Nobles and some are great sound, some I just drop at Goodwill.
So my question is: is there a source/shop/where i can go to purchase great quality cd`s?
Thank you for taking the time to respond!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:13 am 

what kind of music ?

its kinda the same thing in the vinyl world also.....some albums sound really, really good and then others are thin sounding.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:38 pm 

I have several of the SHM-CDs from cdjapan. They are indeed very good, but not cheap. I consider these pretty much one of the best formats for great sound from redbook.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_High_Material_CD

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/music/hfcd/platinumshm/

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/music/hfcd/shmcd/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:08 am 

What are you using to play them?
I'd recommend starting there and getting an HDCD-capable player if you don't have one now.
Burning your own from computer files is the best way to ensure quality
and a Mac Superdrive that will burn HDCDs can be had in a Mac mini for a few hundred bucks.
There are several decent online sites where you can obtain high bitrate and lossless files pretty cheap that burn to excellent CDs.
Bandcamp, Music-bazaar and Allflac are some sites to visit where you can find every kind of music.
Convert lossless files to WAV format and they sound great when burned.
Use Verbatim discs.
Apple music and Amazon both suck for downloadable files so avoid them.
Making your own CDs is best both in cost and sound quality.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:08 pm 

Try XRCD, SACD, K2HD, or DSD cds, these are amongst the best. Price is higher than red book, of course. Make sure you have a fairly good CD player also.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:43 pm 

Audiogear88 wrote:
Try XRCD, SACD, K2HD, or DSD cds, these are amongst the best. Price is higher than red book, of course. Make sure you have a fairly good CD player also.

And you can add MFSL (Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs) and DCC (Dunhill Compact Classics) Gold CDs' to that list. But like the CDs' mentioned above, these ain't cheap either. But hey you only live once..... :)

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:48 am 

It doesn't really matter where you buy them. The sound quality starts with the original master recording and production. If you have CD's that you like take note of the label, producer, and engineer. Chances are you will like others from the same guys. For instance Mobile Fidelity CDs and hybrid SACDs sound great because before they produce them they choose only albums with great master tapes. I've found that Red House Records https://www.redhouserecords.com/ produces red label (normal) CDs that sound better than some of my SACDs. Also, everything I have from Verve and EMI labels sound great. That doesn't mean all their releases will; but at least they seem to value good, uncompressed recordings.

There are forums on which members share the good ones they've found.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:04 pm 

Off topic a bit but what's the status of download sites like Allflac and Flak it and whether or not they are above board or "pirating" music vs the more pricey sites?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:44 am 

I always wondered about the status of online download/purchasing sites that pay or don't the artists whose work they provide.
That's why I go to Bandcamp first when looking for new music since they give over 85% of their proceeds directly to the artist.
Bandcamp also seems to have the best quality and variety of download options and there are thousands of private collections on their site from which to sample.
I will never buy from iTunes again after the restrictions, high prices and poor quality of their downloads.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:36 am 

I found that after much work, I have a system and CD player that plays all of my CD's well. They all sound good, the Moble Fidelity CD's sound better. As has been said, it is all about synergy. I had CD's I wouldn't even listen to because they sounded so poor. Now they sound great to fantastic. Good luck and listen to some of your worse sounding CD's on another rig or two.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:43 am 

It's not the CD per se - but the quality of the playback device. Most CD players (even the newer universal players) have some major drawbacks in DAC's, power supplies, etc...

Of course a poorly recorded album will always remain so.

After investing a lot of time and effort into perfecting a 'ultimate' PC Music source - I'm floored at how good many of these albums from the '70's sound...including ones I used to think were poorly recorded, ie Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, etc...

Normal old redbook 44/16K files - archived with EAC...now sound as good or better then their LP, SACD, DVD-A versions.

There is so much buried in those recordings - just takes a dedicated effort to get it out of the speakers...but it's there!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:00 pm 

rockanroller wrote:
Hello.
I have a simple question: where do I go to buy better quality cd`s ? I buy my cd`s on Amazon, or Barnes/Nobles and some are great sound, some I just drop at Goodwill.
So my question is: is there a source/shop/where i can go to purchase great quality cd`s?
Thank you for taking the time to respond!

If I may intrude, to me, that is kind of like asking: "do I get better bananas if I buy them at Safeway or at Kroger?"

CDs don't suffer from any 'intrinsic' quality impairments by virtue of where they get purchased from.
What I may have barely detected in your question though is: Where would I get the best selection of music(?) - to signify quality, as you say.

It is entirely unpredictable what you will find at a thrift store like GW - whether it be scratched discs or selection - so lets take that out of the equation.

Selection wise, both Amazon and B&N sell new CD's sourced from the same distributors, so one's shopping then is determined mostly by price, availability, and shipping.

As far as the quality, that would be an intrinsic characteristic based upon factors such as being from an audiophile label, etc. which others have covered in detail before me on this thread to best provide that answer.

One caveat though about buying from vendors on Amazon: I have come to discover in my limited dealings with Amazon that when going with the "other" sellers of any particular item, you can never predict what you will be sent once you turn over your hard earned money. I have gotten wrong titles, different or inferior versions or pressings than what was shown, trashed discs, and it is nearly impossible to do anything about it since there is a firewall - Amazon - between you and the dishonest seller. They process millions of transactions a day and don't give a hoot about the defective media you bought from "someone else," even though it was through Amazon's site.

If I were you, go also with eBay, half.com, or Discogs, all being much easier to work with their sellers on, and less full of the dishonest crooks that inhabit Amazon's partner vendors. There is also CD Universe, Acoustic Sounds, and Music Direct, all have good merchandise.

Good luck.