US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:47 am 

First post from new member. Buying a new TV soon and i am struggling with my decision on which technology to buy, 4K or 1080P OLED. The two TV's i am looking at is, Sony's 850C 4K & LG's new OLED 1080P EG 9100 non 4K. Both TV's are 55 inches. Which technology do you think is the best way to go. Thank for any feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:57 am 

Neither,if you are serious about TV, plasma is still the one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:33 pm 

Markwatkiss wrote:
Neither,if you are serious about TV, plasma is still the one.

I tend to agree unless your room is flooded with a lot of direct sunlight. In that case a plasma may not be the best choice because of reflection issues with the glass screen. Otherwise I have to say that I still prefer plasmas' over the new emerging technologies as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:05 pm 

I have a Samsung plasma (50"), and bright room light is an issue. I haven't seen LG's OLED screens personally, but people are saying they're the next best thing to plasma. Another issue: my Sammy draws 300 watts, and OLED sets should draw a lot less. Additionally, I think you should consider the relative lack of 4K content right now. If I had the money, I would buy the OLED now, and in 4 or 5 years when there's a lot more 4K content and 4K OLED sets from other manufacturers, then I would upgrade to the new standard. Of course, that's right about when 8K will come out, right? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:52 pm 

Which ever one will have the most software/movies/Satellite or cable feeds.... would lean towards the 4K... seems to be supported by more.... and forget Plasma.... sorry, but you don't need another energy sucking heater in the room...!! Bottom line, how long before you think you will want larger TV? It will take awhile for 4K to kick in... maybe a long time, if so, go with the 1080P... you know it has a lot of software going for it, and will for a few more years...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:03 pm 

I tend to disagree, while plasmas are good, the OLED is the future of video as far as quality goes. For many (including myself) the most important thing a display can do is reproduce something close to black, the farther towards black you get, the more depth your eye will see in the picture. This is why many digital displays look flat, they can't reproduce black. If you get the chance to see a calibrated OLED in a light controlled room you will understand what I mean. I started calibrating old ceiling mounted CRTs, then move into a few digital displays, and while the plasmas can be very good (especially the old Pioneer Kuros) a well set up OLED is the next step up...I'm just waiting for the price to drop farther, and now that Panasonic is jumping into OLED it should happen faster.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:42 pm 

Check out these reviews, they are for 65", but should give you an idea
If you can go bigger do it. You will never regret spending the extra money, you will always regret cheaping out.
4K isn't wide spread and when will it be? It is nice to future proof your purchase though.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/65-inch/best

The Samsung UN65JS8500 is a pretty nice tv