US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:34 am 

hifijones wrote:
Tandberg 3012A integrated amp. The best amp that I've owned that can be had for under $500.00, although the price on the pre-owned market has risen steadily since I sold mine 5 years ago. A MOSFET design that's heavily biased into Class A and is capable of driving difficult speaker loads. A real gem.

I had the privilege of owning a TANDBERG 3016 amp....220w/8ohm....400w/4phm....the CHAMP is power authority, sweetness. I miss it ( sold it when relocating to avoid having to lift it...60+lbs!! )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:37 pm 

45 years as an audio file and I would say the most recent example would have been a few years ago when I purchased from the great George Merrill his AR replica turntable. I think the appropriate designation is a Merrill ES-R1. I opted for the digital motor drive along with the dust cover. The greatest value in a turntable I have seen in many many years. Incidentally, I also owned for many years the AR turntable which was Circa 1984. Not the original one from the 60s but the one that they came out with just as CDs were starting to really tread rapidly in its quest to replace all that great music on vinyl.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:00 pm 

audioquest dragonfly black

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:49 am 

Great post! I grew up in the hi-fi industry in the 60's and onward. I have owned so much gear I forgot about a lot of it. But the two purchases that stand out in my mind are:

Oppo UDP-205 digital player (plays everything and sounds terrific, and I'm a vinyl guy first).

Vandersteen speakers. I have been through over twenty five (25) speakers or more, and the Vandersteen, set up properly, delivered the magic!

You frequently hear the saying, "They don't build em' like they used to". I for one am glad. The vintage stuff is fun and cool, but todays technology really delivers!

Keep this post alive! Great memories from my late father's stores and manufacturing!

Bennett