US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:20 pm 

If you have been buying equipment for many years and upgrade & experiment often, you probably discovered some under the radar or even more well known equipment that totally exceeded all expectations, sound quality wise. What are some of the things you have discovered and what in particular amazed you about it ? You know, the Rodney Dangerfield of equipment that does not get enough respect.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:23 pm 

45 years an audiophile and 2 products remain on my A list.

AUDIO HORIZONS pre amp.Absolutely stunning performance,one of the most transparent pieces I have had the pleasure of owning.Bested many high dollar pre amps.

COINCIDENT DYNAMO 34SE MKII Integrated amp.Jaw drop with the right speakers.Many favorable reviews on line.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:00 pm 

dalquist dq-10's still have 30yrs later perfect
lore reference 799.00 bucks by tekton..astounding performance..if u close your eyes..u think $5000.00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:58 pm 

Hafler amp for me. The P230 which is a pro version of the DH220, but with 6 MOSFETs per channel versus 4 MOSFETs per channel. After upgrading power supply parts as well as the caps on the driver boards and resetting DC offset and bias, these amps are wonderfully smooth sounding. I'm not saying they are the last word in definition or detail, but if you want an easy to listen to amp that won't wear you out, this is a winner.
I've compared them, yes I've redone quite a few, to $3K and up amps, and for long term listening, I prefer them.
I've also used the Musical Concepts boards, but honestly prefer the Hafler boards with upgraded parts. The MC mods will give you more definition, but for me, there's a little less magic.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:41 pm 

Tandberg 3012A integrated amp. The best amp that I've owned that can be had for under $500.00, although the price on the pre-owned market has risen steadily since I sold mine 5 years ago. A MOSFET design that's heavily biased into Class A and is capable of driving difficult speaker loads. A real gem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:08 am 

Pass XA25 is an amazing amp. At $4.5k it may be an astronomical price for some but it's well worth it's price for the reference level sound quality that it provides.