US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Feedback for dealers regarding experience OUTSIDE of USAM must go in the Dealer Feedback Forum.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:34 pm 

John Rouse is the listed name of the seller of the currently listed JBL 4345s. He has refused on 3 occasions including a phone call to release the serial numbers of the 4345s he is trying to sell. His excuse is that a buyer needs to see them in person and make payment before he will let them see the serial numbers. WTH? He either has re-pro cabs with piece meal parts or is an outright fake. Nothing at all wrong with re-pro cabs IMHO. Just be up front and honest. I live 700 miles from him and no way will I risk a 1400 mile trip with ZERO assurance that I am buying the real magillas.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:08 pm 

I just did a site search for JBL 4345 and found nothing.

Was he a newly registered member of USAM?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:04 am 

HifiJones,

No surprise he was a brand new member with zero posts other than the ad. Happy he has sunk below the surface hopefully never to rise again. Just a waste of time and breath.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:59 am 

Is John Rouse his username or his alleged real name that he gave you? It might be a good idea to send a PM to one of the Moderators (angust63, Toby, kvn63 and CAAudioCollector) and give them a heads-up and his USAM username. Then they could keep an eye on him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:11 pm 

So I've noticed a number of these types of posts lately. Where someone (seems like mostly perturbed shoppers--not buyers, but merely shoppers) is unhappy with some aspect of another member's dealings and they jump into this forum to "warn" all others of some alleged inappropriate listing. It is my opinion that these "complaints" are not something that should be put to a public forum!

Using this very post as an example, the shopper actually posted this guys name. Why? Just because he won't show you serial numbers? Whatever. If you want to submit your suspicions to admin, go ahead, but I don't see why it needs to be posted here? You have no proof whatsoever that he has actually done anything wrong. If he is a "scammer," then it is admin's job to address it. But if he is just a sorry seller who is not alleviating your suspicions in a manner you find acceptable, then that is between you and him and it is no other member's business.

I am not defending this guy, whoever he may be, but in my opinion these posts are just whiny buyers (shoppers) who are venting their "frustration" because they are not getting the attention they want from a seller. Pat yourself on the back for not being a foolish buyer and move on to something else. If you don't have some serious evidence (like PROOF) that someone is scamming, then keep it to yourself! I can tell you right now that I don't like about 90-percent of you on this site, but that's just because I'm a cynical, grouchy old curmudgeon. (I am not really all that old which is what makes my condition so charming). However, if one of you whiners posts my name to this forum because you have some personal problem, I am going to be prepped to fight, so you better be correct in your "assumptions."

In a recent similar post the buyer totally jumped the gun berating a seller and, in the end, he appropriately received the goods as promised. If you're not happy with a transaction, then don't leave any feedback. If you're really unhappy, then leave negative feedback, but don't berate the seller publicly in one of these forums.

If I am not mistaken there is a forum set up to post incidents of legitimate scamming. Use it when appropriate, but I don't see how this is that.

Thank you for your time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:10 pm 

sing_to_me wrote:
So I've noticed a number of these types of posts lately. Where someone (seems like mostly perturbed shoppers--not buyers, but merely shoppers) is unhappy with some aspect of another member's dealings and they jump into this forum to "warn" all others of some alleged inappropriate listing. It is my opinion that these "complaints" are not something that should be put to a public forum!

Using this very post as an example, the shopper actually posted this guys name. Why? Just because he won't show you serial numbers? Whatever. If you want to submit your suspicions to admin, go ahead, but I don't see why it needs to be posted here? You have no proof whatsoever that he has actually done anything wrong. If he is a "scammer," then it is admin's job to address it. But if he is just a sorry seller who is not alleviating your suspicions in a manner you find acceptable, then that is between you and him and it is no other member's business.

I am not defending this guy, whoever he may be, but in my opinion these posts are just whiny buyers (shoppers) who are venting their "frustration" because they are not getting the attention they want from a seller. Pat yourself on the back for not being a foolish buyer and move on to something else. If you don't have some serious evidence (like PROOF) that someone is scamming, then keep it to yourself! I can tell you right now that I don't like about 90-percent of you on this site, but that's just because I'm a cynical, grouchy old curmudgeon. (I am not really all that old which is what makes my condition so charming). However, if one of you whiners posts my name to this forum because you have some personal problem, I am going to be prepped to fight, so you better be correct in your "assumptions."

In a recent similar post the buyer totally jumped the gun berating a seller and, in the end, he appropriately received the goods as promised. If you're not happy with a transaction, then don't leave any feedback. If you're really unhappy, then leave negative feedback, but don't berate the seller publicly in one of these forums.

If I am not mistaken there is a forum set up to post incidents of legitimate scamming. Use it when appropriate, but I don't see how this is that.

Thank you for your time.

I have to disagree. If a buyer is expected to pay for high dollar item. Asking for the serial numbers a good idea and his reluctance to provide them SHOULD raise suspicions. Legit seller should have no problem posting quick snap shot of the serial numbers. Especially if he wants to secure a sale.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:43 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Agreed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:04 pm 

I'd like to add that US Audio Mart is a community. And as members of this community, we need to watch out for one another. So listing potential scams is welcome.

I agree we shouldn't jump the gun, but when a sale or seller goes awry, we all need to know about it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:22 pm 

MrAudio wrote:
I'd like to add that US Audio Mart is a community. And as members of this community, we need to watch out for one another. So listing potential scams is welcome.

I agree we shouldn't jump the gun, but when a sale or seller goes awry, we all need to know about it.

+1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:13 pm 

As the OP on this topic I can state with 100% certainty that I made no assumptions, cast no aspersions and sure as hell did not whine because a seller was not making me happy. I stated the facts regarding my own communications with a "seller" who refused to provide serial numbers for a pair of speakers he claimed were original JBL productions from drivers, to crossovers and cabinets. This "seller" expected me to drive 1400 miles round trip to look at speakers he was selling without providing serial numbers. I am not assuming that. He exact words to me were " You can drive here to see them and pay then get the serial numbers". No ambiguity there. My intent on the post was to warn other members that the "seller" was not willing to provide serial numbers until he was "paid first".

As a community we do need to look out for each other and that it what I was doing. If that offends some "curmudgeon" who dislikes 90% of Audiomart members then so be it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:22 pm 

sing_to_me

If the intent of this forum is to identify a transaction that resulted in a scam then you are correct. If the intent is to protect members then I stand behind the post. I will allow the admin. to decide. If you will read the post again I never stated the "seller" did anything wrong. I stated the facts of our communication and that he refused to provide the most basic of documentation for something he was selling. His name was shown in my post as that is the user name he posted under. Not a pseudonym or handle. He used that name as his user name so he made that name public.

I am sad you dislike so many of us. We really do have a lot to offer in the way of shared hobby interests and experiences.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:27 am 

If a scam is being reported, then this is the best forum to do so. If you are not sure, Report a Problem with the ad and let us investigate before you post real names personal information. If it turns out to be a false alarm, we don't want real names to be wrongly linked to scams or fraud posts.

In this particular case, I'm not sure who the user is/was. If there is a link to the actual ad, let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:20 pm 

angust63,

Thanks for the clarification. The ad was removed within a few hours of my original post. IIRC the user name was JohnRouse. He posted under that name so that is why is put the name in my post. If he had used "Scammerdude101" as his handle then I would have used that name in my post.

FWIW this sale listing has showed up on Audio Karma and Audio Asylum Trader and has generated several similar posts to my original post here. The "seller" will not provide any details, just says show up with cash, pay me and then you can look at the speakers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:16 pm 

I'm thinking this feller is a scammer.

Here's the link to his ad on Audio Asylum:

http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/lis ... ors/147980

And here's where he 'borrowed' the pic from:

https://publicamianuncio.es/altavoces/j ... tudio.html

Hablas espanol?

Either that or the hombre in Barcelona stole John Rouses' pics and he's the scammer. Ay-yi-yi.
To quote the great Ray Davies...it's a mixed up muddled up shook up world...except for Lola.

Lo-lo-lo-lo-Lola...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:40 pm 

I congratulate the OP for posting it. Having been in this hobby for many decades, I thought I would never be scammed until last November when someone who I dealt with before, has good feedback and is very, very knowledgeable about audio gear listed items w/o pictures with the excuse that they were in storage. I lost some Benjamins and the police is now involved because that guy in FL scammed many.

Someone new with no or little feedback should be scrutinized, certainly for high value items.

As for the pictures, good find. The probably fraudulent seller should be banned and his IP address logged.