US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: vintage cd player issue
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:46 am 

Hello.
Cd player is Sony 707ESD. I have had it for 8 years.
Seems like there is some issues: some cd`s not playing at all, some cd`s skipping.
Questions: if it is the laser drive, how hard is it to find one new , or is it even possible? where would you look?
if not possible to find a drive, what would you suggest that I buy? Vintage or current model?
is there any shop out there that you recommend that might be able to help?
the problem is that that cd player is build like a beast (40 pounds) with copper chassis, power supply, Burr Brown Dac which i like (warmer sound IMHO).
Any ideas/thoughts are welcome.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:44 am 

have you cleaned the lens ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:08 pm 

Hello.
According to Robert Harley, TAS , cleaning lens is a bad idea using a lens cleaner cd.
How else do you suggest to clean the lens?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:06 am 

here are some links that might help

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php? ... em.492966/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:20 am 

rockanroller wrote:
Questions: if it is the laser drive, how hard is it to find one new , or is it even possible? where would you look?

If all else fails and you're craving the same sound, buy a Sony CDP-XA7ES; according to the Vintage Knob, your 707ESD and the XA7ES have different drive mechanisms but are otherwise virtually identical.

Read about it here in the left column under the heading Re-pack #2.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-CDP-XA7ES.html

Here's an XA7ES currently available on the 'gon...no affiliation.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/cd-sa ... omfield-co

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:35 pm 

This is the classic debate. Do I buy new increasing the probability of enjoying years of hassle-free, dependable use, or do I seek out a classic used piece and gamble with the increased risk of functional failure and the resultant repair costs?

As for repairing the old player, look at ebay for CD drives. Not sure you’ll find what you need, but parts like that pop up there now and again. You’ll just have to research it to figure out what drive you need. If you find Sony drives on ebay maybe the ad will tell you if it pertains to your player (of course such a claim could be erroneous).

Like man’s best friend, CD players age at an accelerated rate relative to other audio components due their highly mechanical nature. Five years on, an amplifier draws no attention to itself, but the same hours on a CD player are deleterious. Cumulatively, the second five years is even worse. (At this point, if you’ve gotten 10-years out of her, every morning when you get up gently stroke her brow just above the faceplate and thank her with a kiss. You’ve done well). No other component wears as much as a CD player, but for maybe a turntable stylus and the physical abuse it suffers under normal use. (Frankly, it is quite impressive how well CD players generally work considering their intricate nature).

If, like me, you are quite satisfied with pushing the play button, and have no interest installing a computer into your audio system, then perhaps you should consider buying new for the sake of longevity going forward.

Marantz and Oppo both currently manufacture new models that are relatively inexpensive (by high-end audio standards), offer very good sonics, and appear to be very dependable. In addition, both brands maintain very high resale demand and hold their values well (the Oppo holds its resale value to the point of being completely irrational!). If you like a “warmer” sound then maybe lean towards the Marantz. Even better, investigate the Rega players; I own an older Rega and can attest to its wonderful, non-fatiguing sound quality. I believe Rega strives to emulate the analogue sound in their digital players.

I like the older players, too. I own an older Rotel, CAL, Sony, and the Rega. They all sound great, but I realize each could give up the ghost any day now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:40 pm 

Apparently the drive needed for the OPs' 707ESD is the Sony KSS-190A and it's increasingly rare.

@rockanroller

Have it checked out by a qualified technician before you make a decision one way or the other.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:42 am 

hifijones wrote:
Have it checked out by a qualified technician before you make a decision one way or the other.

Second that. Are the same CDs consistently the ones that don't play? I have found it's extremely common for crud accumulating over time, and often old grease, to impede movement across the transport's tracks (sled drive) just enough to cause skipping and other failures. At times I've been able to solve it by cleaning and very light use of a new, approved grease -- even when I haven't been able to find any debris at all in the mechanism. Sometimes the process has to be repeated. Getting at the tracks is not always easy. Hence, the suggestion up top.

https://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_cdfaq4.html