US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:14 am 

Why does this forum have such limited usage ?...I really wonder...I realize many probably believe "newer is better" but very vintage audio is still very worthy. Both worthy in $$$ values and sound quality, consider that vintage audio competes with and often "wins" over newer gear.

"Winning" needs some quantifying; right ? What this hobby/obsession really comes down to is music listening "enjoyment" which I call the "enjoyment factor." While we are all in search of and hope to achieve a high enjoyment factor while listening to music, most of us do not have unlimited funds. Thus, we can all, or most of us can appreciate that within budget constraints, we can still acquire a good level of music listening enjoyment. In fact, I believe a somewhat low budget system can yield the same enjoyment factor as using a very expensive sound system.

Put simply, if you like your system's sound, do you think a "richer" system supplies more or better enjoyment for the more affluent folks ? Honestly, isn't each person's "high enjoyment factor" the same ? So, shouldn't a good sounding vintage system achieve our goals of high quality "high fidelity" plus allow us more available funds for more software or real life needs ? Of course !

So, let's make this usaudiomart forum more useful for all; okay ? Do not be afraid of second-hand or very vintage bargains within this hobby. Newer is not necessarily better....

As this forum grows, perhaps more forum thread titles will be needed..."Vintage Audio" conjures up many ideas to many folks...perhaps too many ideas for one thread title...In time , we shall see...I guess...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:20 am 

Quote:
I believe a somewhat low budget system can yield the same enjoyment factor as using a very expensive sound system

what do you consider " low budget " ?

Quote:
do you think a "richer" system supplies more or better enjoyment for the more affluent folks

not always. I think I have a decent system and I am just your average person .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:09 am 

I have been at this hobby seriously for 15 years, and it has taken me that long to achieve what I believe to be an excellent sounding system. It's not vintage, but mostly demo pieces from a few local dealers I have a long term relationship with. It's not what most would consider budget, but not top shelf either.

I think we all have a sound we are listening for, and achieving that sound takes time and is system dependent.

My system is setup in a 15x11x9 foot dedicated room with acoustic treatment. As one would expect, my listening position is near field. I purchased and arranged my tube based audio equipment with this in mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:40 am 

Of course the more money you sink into anything,
the greater is the urge to call it superior.
The same corollary exists with Newness too
which is a side-effect of spending a fortune for the sake of proving the former.
In reality,
the only analog transducer that makes any real difference is the speaker/room interface
since almost any combination of quality source and power driver - vintage or not - will be pretty satisfying when that combo is right.
Then there are the advantages of upgrading and rebuilding vintage gear with newer parts and techniques to bring them alive again.

The internet allows for instant access to pricing, reviews and markets for vintage gear
so maybe that's why the How Much Is It Worth posts sit relatively ignored.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:54 pm 

I just started trying to put a nice system together recently. I certainly can't afford a brand new Macintosh system my friend has. So far I have only two components, a really nice Sony ES amplifier and Sony ES Tuner. I have some really nice speaker Cabinets, I say cabinets, they work and sound just ok, loud nothing of any high quality. I have had them since 1979 and they have been reconed a couple of times. They are Cerwin Vega CH504's. I plan on putting some very quality brand speakers and crossovers to replace what's in there now but tha will be last plan.

My immediate need is a nice Preamplifier to mate up with what I have been able to find that is in very good condition for vintage equipment.

Hope I don't get hit by a Mack truck before finishing....haha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:55 pm 

Well, I have a collection of vintage items, no tubes, but earlier solid state, turntables, reel-to-reel decks. My learning over the past seven years is:

1) You need to hang on to items you acquire for a while, because sometimes it is the combination of pre-amp, amp, and speaker that win out (to my ears) than a 'best' pre-amp, 'best' amp, 'best' speaker.

2) Vintage gear also allows for repair, assuming you have some decent electronics background. Modern gear (which to me is anything with an LED display, a microprocessor) is nothing I'd acquire. I do have toys with single LED lights. No matter what the ratings on whatever web site you purchase from, vintage means not perfect, and also can mean a 30 year old component gives up two months after you put it in service, with the seller honestly not having a clue. So what I have is early solid state, which means 70s to 90s.

3) I really like my music. Therefore I trade the 'sound' of tubes for the reliability of solid state. Tubes have a life time, have vibration sensitivities, and generate heat that can accelerate the failure of nearby components.

4) Most failures of my vintage equipment has been mechanical. Old rubber in reel-to-reel decks, relays in pre-amps, power switches in amps.

5) Get a good industrial quality surge protector (I use Tripp-Lite).

6) Run everything off of several outlet strips plugged in the the same socket.

7) During the winter (static electricity season) touch the metal on your equipment rack before touching the equipment, EACH TIME

8) Use wood blocks to separate equipment. The 1/2" clearance provided by the rubber feet of the equipment is a minimum. Space your stuff out. Put nothing on top of an amp (whether is has vent holes on top or not)

9) I have heavy duty Home Depot industrial shelving for my equipment rack. You really don't need more. Its shelves hold 70 pound amps, it only needs a rubber mallet to assemble, and is cheap enough to build up to separate equipment

10) I diverge from science to 'feelings' now. The heavier it is, the happier I tend to be with it. If the amp needs two hands to lift, good. If the speaker weighs more than 50 pounds, good. If it has fuses, so much the better, because some other component won't end up being the one that dies first due to a failure.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:11 pm 

Good advice there. I do have some tube amps but they're mainly for fun and now I will only run them in the winter since they generate so much heat. The only other thing I'd add is that some really good equipment now offers breakers instead of fuses. Sort of handy they way I see it, so long as you do investigate the source of the issue before tripping it back.