US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:57 pm 

I don't know how old gear has to be to be considered vintage, but I still love my VPI HW19 II turntable and Eminent Technology air bearing tone arm I bought new back in the 1980s. My other gear is of more recent manufacture or DIY such as my horn speakers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:58 am 

Totally agree, I like the sweet, warm and real sound of vintage audio. When plays music on my Dynaco Pas-2 + ST70 + '67 Klipschorn, it's like listening live music in the theater :D .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:58 am 

Yeah. I confess to the same passion. I have held on to:
Threshold S500 A/AB (250/channel)
Threshold FET-9 preamp
Rotel amp RA-840BX3
Apogee Duettas
Bang & Olufsen turntable
California Audio Labs Aria CD player
M&K LCR-45s (5) plus M&K sub (for home theatre)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:34 am 

My favorite vintage gear is MFA Systems. I have a Magus that Scott Frankland rebuilt in 2003. I purchased it in 1995 and it was my preamp till 2002 - the Conrad Johnson I bought was better as I A/B'd it. However, nothing beats the MFA phono stage.

I also have a Nakamichi RX505. I will rebuild that soon.

Also, I'd give a shout out to the old Yamaha CD super players. I had a CDX-1030 that finally gave it up. She was terrific. One of the best parts was the programming aspect. You can program your CD's to play in any order or delete certain tracks and it remembers that for each time you play that CD after. Great transport and sound.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:34 pm 

VIntage cars? I am selling a 1970's Chevelle. Body needs a lot of work - but the engine is killer!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:10 pm 

One other thing I'll add is that one doesn't have to just acquire 'name' gear. I have a McIntosh C-27, 2100, and ML-1C. It sounds nice, the chrome amp chassis and raised metal letters have a cool factor, but it is not my best sounding line. Some of the boutique brands of yore have their own claim to fame, having concentrated on a smaller product line, and doing it right. My favorite set-up is a Technics SL-1200 mk2 with Ortofon blue cartridge, Dolan PM1 pre-amp, Kinergetics KBA-75 gold amp, Dahlquist DQ-20 speakers.

Even more obscure is a Mitsubishi DA-P20 pre-amp, great industrial look, my second favorite. I think they bought some company years ago called "Diamante" ?

There are some name brands of course that do well - my second favorite amp is a Parasound HCA-2200ii.
Harman-Kardon Citation 16As amp is good when working, but not as reliable.

If you have some decent electronics background, some scope that is OK for audio frequencies, know how to solder, know about DigiKey for parts, a good VOM, then you are ready for vintage. As another poster wrote, that's why I also have a vintage car to share my love with.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:00 am 

Pretty amazing-looking volume control there, if I'm making it out right...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:49 pm 

I've been there and back. I recognize OP from Lansing heritage website. I sold off all my JBL except 4311 wxa's. I used to have adcom and pioneer, sold it off as well. I now have Dynaudio C1’s and modwright ntegrated. I have the latest turntable from sota and Manley phono. Sorry, but vintage, although cool, doesn't compare. Yes, I've spent probably double what most good vintage gear costs, but in my opinion it's worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:25 pm 

The vintage stuff works great. It's your caps lock key that seems to need service.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:52 am 

A. It sounds better because it's built better.
B. I've had about two "capacitor" issues out of hundreds of pieces of gear that I've bought and restored and STILL OWN or still keep up with when sold to friends and colleagues. Dead quiet. Ridiculously reliable and kills BPC out of the gate every time.
C. Better value for the money

Disclaimer: I work on my own gear, so something needing to be aligned, restored or refurbished doesn't phase (pun intended) me. Something unfixable or irreplaceable CAN happen. I deal nearly exclusively in Pioneer and I'm picky about what I buy. I haven't been disappointed once outside of the two previously mentioned. That gear will last me the rest of my life because I know how to treat and maintain it.

Environment matters. Initial quality matters. I stay away from everybody's "loss leader" gear.

YMMV.