US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:22 am 

You know that ugly grimy smelly carbon fibre record cleaning brush you have somewhere near your TT ?

I just read online about cleaning it with magic eraser !!! so I did :)

WOW !!! if you have both items try it.

I took 2 minutes and cut myself several pieces of nice clean magic eraser then rubbed the clean ME against the carbon fibers.

inside outside left to right etc, cleaning all the fibers I could touch.

The amount of FILTH removed was unbelievable, no wonder that ugly old brush didn't seem to be doing anything positive ?

It does now.

Last edited by sheabatter on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:58 am 

Thanks for the tip! I just bought one of the new Audioquest brushes, but haven't tried it yet. My old Audioquest brush surely needs this.

I'll give it a try...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:07 am 

MrAudio wrote:
My old Audioquest brush surely needs this....

if you have used it to clean 100, maybe 1000 LPs' where would all the removed debris go except stuck 'in' the brush ?

Im 98% sure I can hear a 14% improvement in my playback sound ???? :) .. - Seriously.

Perhaps wiping the grime of 1000 LPs' across the surface of the one I was about to record/play is not the best idea?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:58 am 

It seems to me after a few sides that another benefit of this ME cleaning is that it restores the 'anti static properties' of the brush.

EXCELLENT !!!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:16 pm 

The Magic Eraser is awesome. A million and one uses around the house. But read the directions and never use it to clean a shiny surface; it will certainly clean it but it will remove the natural sheen/shine and leave it dull...forever. My sister used it on her car to remove tree sap from the paint. BIG mistake.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:47 pm 

hifijones wrote:
The Magic Eraser is awesome. A million and one uses around the house. But read the directions and never use it to clean a shiny surface; it will certainly clean it but it will remove the natural sheen/shine and leave it dull...forever. My sister used it on her car to remove tree sap from the paint. BIG mistake.

I wil definitely be taking an old scratched up LP i don't care about and working on it with a ME to see if I can remove a scratch or 2 and change the finish of the LP from shiny to dull EVENLY.

maybe it will still play ? ( I wont use my best styli to find out) :)

*test complete.

It plays great :D

I gave it a hard going over with the ME, concentrating on debris i could see and the whole surface evenly, almost deliberately trying to damage it so my experiment results would be clear.

If i ever find a record that I cant play because it is in such bad condition no regular LP cleaning techniques can save it.

Maybe ME will.

Attachments:
IMG_0843.JPG
IMG_0843.JPG [ 84.46 KiB | Viewed 598 times ]
IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_0850.JPG [ 110.87 KiB | Viewed 598 times ]
IMG_0841.JPG
IMG_0841.JPG [ 81.3 KiB | Viewed 598 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:15 pm 

Lol,

for a normal / well used condition copy of this LP (Zep Physical graff)

It shure has remarkably low surface noise, and almost zero pops and clicks !! ??

I think we might be onto something here folks ?? !! :)

go get an old beat up LP, clean it carefully but very thoroughly with a ME.

report back with your findings? only took me 25 minutes and that included photos :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:51 pm 

I just did it again, a badly beaten copy of ACDC Back in Black, It really looked like I would not be able to get a decent digital copy ripped from it because it was so badly scratched.

I SCRUBBED every square inch of the LP, both sides, concentrating on what looked to me like the worst scratches with a little more focus, with a magic eraser.

after a wipe down with a soft cloth and cleaning with the carbon fibre brush it recorded like a CD !! ??

almost zero surface noise and I can hardly hear where there was a scratch.

My thinking is that the ME only touches the surface of the LP, it doesnt get down into the groove to well, or too far
but leaves a very flat finish on the surface, allowing the stylus to trace the grove undisturbed by any anomalies that were once on the surface.

I STRONGLY urge anyone who has a badly beaten unplayable LP laying around, to take a piece of ME to it and see if some careful attention might restore that unplayable recording to a state that you can enjoy it again.

or go to the goodwill and buy a badly scratched record and try to recover it ?

In 40 years of loving music, this has to be one of my favorite discoveries :) ...

any LP no matter how badly scratched (within reason) can be restored to excellent playing condition, in 3 minutes with $0.20c of ME.

try it you sceptic..... :D