US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:48 pm 

What about compact discs, which some claim compromise the listening experience as well? Certainly the act of putting a record on a turntable and having to change it every 20 minutes makes the listener feel more involved with the music. It's different from sitting back and letting your CD changer do its thing. However, by any measurable criterion, CDs are superior to LPs. And so are MP3 and AAC files with bit rates above 300k, which in most cases are indistinguishable from CDs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:22 pm 

I never discuss politics, religion or whether analog or digital is better. Digital is undoubtedly better for quietness. Analog to really good ears could sound more genuine of timbre and have a more natural ease about it, in the way it delivers music. I play acoustic guitar, and acoustic guitars on the CD players I have listened to in the past have made that instrument sound a bit heavy handed and forced with harmonics that sometimes stick out like a sore thumb.Also there are frequencies missing with digital. They reserve a narrow band of frequencies within the audible band for digital filtering and dither.Anytime you have missing frequencies, the harmonic overtone structure of the instruments are not going to be totally correct.But I do like digital too,and its improving nicely. I read in The Absolute Sound, I think, that information in a record groove goes down to 10,000th of an angstrom I think it said.That's more subtle than any digital spec. I think it all comes down to people who think digital is superior have never heard a quality LP played on something like a Versa Dynamics turntable with something like a Koetsu Gold Onyx moving coil cartridge.Many digital devotees don't have "ears" and taking sides so vehemently is about as rational as someone who goes around proclaiming their atheism.The best analog reproduction is a little like heaven.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:29 pm 

Most of the posts to this thread wander off the topic, it seems to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:25 pm 

It does wander off the topic, and I'm the original poster ! My original nominee for most unique piece of music that's genius: the side long track of side 2 called "Virtually" by Soft machine can be heard on YouTube by punching in Soft Machine 4. Not just a good listen, but "a journey"; a real experience.They were considered by many to be the greatest of the modern improvisational British jazz/rock ensembles of their period. Amazing musicianship & musical creativity off the charts.Almost all of their albums went by numbers.I like, in order: Soft Machine Third, Four, One (self titled) & 7. If you like Soft Machine try Brian Auger (best of, is a great place to start) & Lonnie Liston-Smith ( good start also is "best of"). Back on track. Anyone else with nominees?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:35 pm 

I see unicorns more often than great music that is well recorded. So I don’t even worry about it any more. I just buy music that I like, if it turns out to have decent sound quality, all the better. But it really doesn’t change the enjoyment for me one way, or the other.