US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:48 pm 

What about compact discs, which some claim compromise the listening experience as well? Certainly the act of putting a record on a turntable and having to change it every 20 minutes makes the listener feel more involved with the music. It's different from sitting back and letting your CD changer do its thing. However, by any measurable criterion, CDs are superior to LPs. And so are MP3 and AAC files with bit rates above 300k, which in most cases are indistinguishable from CDs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:22 pm 

I never discuss politics, religion or whether analog or digital is better. Digital is undoubtedly better for quietness. Analog to really good ears could sound more genuine of timbre and have a more natural ease about it, in the way it delivers music. I play acoustic guitar, and acoustic guitars on the CD players I have listened to in the past have made that instrument sound a bit heavy handed and forced with harmonics that sometimes stick out like a sore thumb.Also there are frequencies missing with digital. They reserve a narrow band of frequencies within the audible band for digital filtering and dither.Anytime you have missing frequencies, the harmonic overtone structure of the instruments are not going to be totally correct.But I do like digital too,and its improving nicely. I read in The Absolute Sound, I think, that information in a record groove goes down to 10,000th of an angstrom I think it said.That's more subtle than any digital spec. I think it all comes down to people who think digital is superior have never heard a quality LP played on something like a Versa Dynamics turntable with something like a Koetsu Gold Onyx moving coil cartridge.Many digital devotees don't have "ears" and taking sides so vehemently is about as rational as someone who goes around proclaiming their atheism.The best analog reproduction is a little like heaven.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:29 pm 

Most of the posts to this thread wander off the topic, it seems to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:25 pm 

It does wander off the topic, and I'm the original poster ! My original nominee for most unique piece of music that's genius: the side long track of side 2 called "Virtually" by Soft machine can be heard on YouTube by punching in Soft Machine 4. Not just a good listen, but "a journey"; a real experience.They were considered by many to be the greatest of the modern improvisational British jazz/rock ensembles of their period. Amazing musicianship & musical creativity off the charts.Almost all of their albums went by numbers.I like, in order: Soft Machine Third, Four, One (self titled) & 7. If you like Soft Machine try Brian Auger (best of, is a great place to start) & Lonnie Liston-Smith ( good start also is "best of"). Back on track. Anyone else with nominees?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:35 pm 

I see unicorns more often than great music that is well recorded. So I don’t even worry about it any more. I just buy music that I like, if it turns out to have decent sound quality, all the better. But it really doesn’t change the enjoyment for me one way, or the other.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:10 am 
Premium User

Upside wrote:
The ideal room would be circular like every symphony hall I've seen, where no standing waves could develop.It should have as high a ceiling as possible and the walls should be thick with great density and built of composite materials that are prone to eliminate slap echo. You can make a normal size living room sound pretty much like the acoustics of a large cathedral by buying a cheap used time delay audio processer, popular back in the 1980's like Audio Pulse, Advent, ADS etc.But your front channel speakers won't have the same focus 100%.Try a huge Pipe Organ recording and be transported to an acoustic 50 times bigger than your living room.Awesome experience.

True. I spent 2 years living in a geodesic dome house and the living room was a dome about 20' across with 14' ceiling at it's highest point. Best sound I have ever experienced in 2 way audio anywhere.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:24 am 
Premium User

Eva Cassidy Live at Blues Alley
Miles Davis Kind of Blue
Bill Evans Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Bill Evans Waltz for Debby
Bill Evans Some Other Time
Almost all recordings done by Roy Dunann for Contemporary Records
Elvis Frankie & Johnnie
Dire Straits Brothers in Arms
Ella Fitzgerald Let No Man Write My Epitaph
Jacqueline Du Pre Elgar Cello Concerto
Nina Simone Little Girl Blue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:48 am 

if you think brother in arms sounds great..try there first lp..try and get a UK press...that is without question one of the great analog recordings of all time...it all comes down mostly , to the engineer..in this case...Rhett Davies... his masterpiece...further reading
https://www.better-records.com/product. ... dires_1807

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:02 pm 

Toby wrote:
Most of the posts to this thread wander off the topic, it seems to me.

Hey c'mon Toby. These are the USAM forums not CAM. We'll take the posts any way we can get 'em. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:29 am 

The Truth Is Spoken Here - Marcus Roberts
Music from Le Cid- City Of Birmingham Orchestra
Discovered Again- Dave Grusin
I've Got The Music In Me-Thelma Houston
Lenox Avenue Breakdown-Arthur Blythe
Virtuoso Guitar-Laurindo Almeida
Straight From The Heart-John Klemmer
The Power Of The Orchestra-Leibowitz cond.
Venice-Solti cond. (Lsc 2313 shaded dog)
Hiroshima-Self Titled 1/2 speed master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:24 am 

Discovered Again- Dave Grusin
Virtuoso Guitar-Laurindo Almeida
spot on..dead perfect sound

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:13 am 

I don't know any Sheffield direct to discs that I didn't like. The late Doug Sax who I believe mastered them, used the Stanton 881s as his reference cartridge back then to monitor the test pressings. The Shure V15 V mr was a cartridge that was picked on a bit in many circles. Their ads might have had something to do with it; boldly proclaiming it the worlds best phono cartridge with a close up of the "V" designation on its front like the "S" on Superman's shirt. I saw a response on one of the forums that a former Shure employee actually preferred the sound of the VST model. Shure also came out with very briefly a few cartridge models (not the Ultra 500) which had super tracking to a certain groove velocity, well beyond the V15 or Ultra 500. I guess to test the waters. These cartridges must be very extremely rare. Supex & Koetsu owners were not enamored of V15's. Neither were owners of upper model Grado's to name a few.
The Klemmer Straight From The Heart on Nautilus was like significantly improving the sound of your stereo by buying a record. The out of print LP was capable of getting around $200 for a sealed copy at one time.Thirty years later after countless upgrade saxophone sounds finally sound as clean as I remember them sounding when playing that one. Nautilus did another direct to disc with Klemmer called Finesse. Maybe it was just my copy, but the sound just wasn't' anywhere even close.
LSC 2313 was the first Living Stereo that really showed me what the excitement was all about regarding that series. Very dynamic with great string sound. Power Of The Orchestra was also very dynamic. Most people prefer Reiners Pictures At An Exhibition for performance, and its sound was no slouch either.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:50 am 

THE MODERATOR MAY put me in jail..were going off topic..but...nautilus klemmer was there best one..overall,most half speed pressings are horrendous..heavily boosted eq etc..dull,lifeless,opaque..im a firm believer in original or close to original pressings and also ,in where they are pressed....you can take almost(not all)..all mofi half speeds and vomit compared to my original issues ,such as steely dan aja and countless others...i once,along time ago bought into the half speed marketing bs..no more..i hear it with my own 2 ears...however,i do have audiophile pressings that are superior,but very rare is the case....as far as cartridges OF TODAY.. il take my kiseki purple heart over any cartridge period..took me countless lessons to arrive at the purple heart..dollar for dollar..nothing on planet as good..
have you ever listened to TBM pressings from japan..three blind mice? i have many..there very very close mics..the mic is right in the instrument..i love it

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:57 am 

and yes living stereo..all time amazing as well as mono mercury living presence...exciting,raw,dynamic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:04 pm 

I have not heard the new crop of mofi's, but the early ones did back off the presence region often, since that's where any recording flaws are most obvious and they were out to make records which were a step closer to refined perfection. If midrange frequencies are backed off, you get the effect of less liveliness, but to their ears a more refined recording. They often overdid it. Sticky Fingers is the classic example. I didn't have any problem with the bass being more, its a known practice to lessen the bass from how much is on the master tape when mastering for LP because of groove limitations. Who knows how much bass was really on the master tape unless one actually hears it. The highs on half speeds were meant to be a showcase to sound crisper cleaner and with more transient snap. The problem with early mofi's's is they often sounded bleached of color, which could have resulted from anything in their chain from cables to cutting amps.
The old original CS London Bluebacks were half speed mastered, whose sound proves that their is nothing inherently wrong with the process itself. Its how it was carried out, that was often the problem with the more modern companies in the 1980's/1990's. A simple better choice of cables that they used, could have made all the difference. Better "ears" were needed which would have resulted in better judgment. Maybe the best thing about all the old MFSL, Nautilus & Mastersounds etc.is that they brought to peoples attention, many fine music titles which they might otherwise have overlooked. Its disconcerting to think that I might never have discovered Genesis..A Trick Of The Tail, or The Captain & Me, or Elegant Gypsy if my attention and awareness of these pieces of music were not stimulated by half speed masters. With their quiet surfaces and lack of any digital artifacts, half speed masters and just plain great pressings have at least the potential to be the dream come true for audiophiles seeking the ultimate in playback realism.