US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:58 pm 

This is very musical equipment, and my kind of music.

AustinTubeNut wrote:
I'm into classical music, ... I use a Simplex record player and Fidelity Research MC cartridge and a tube phono preamp.

I have a Well Tempered Labs GTA. The WTLs, of the TTs I've owned or listened to carefully, seem to me to be the ones that get out of the way of the music best at a price I can afford. By that I mean that when I listen I am not drawn to various sound characteristics, and an appreciation of the reproduction, but instead I pay attention to the music, to the performance. It's lovely. My ears relax. :D

Finding a digital system to give a similar musical feel isn't a cakewalk IME. I've gone from spinners and discs to a Mac Mini and a DAC, and there are DACs now that can give you a musical experience that is astonishing. My favorites are the ladder or R2R DACs like the Audiomats and the Schiit Multibits.

My point being that I don't say one technology is inherently superior. At one time, in the 1980s, that was certainly true. However both digital and analog playback have improved since then, and my feeling is that digital has improved more. I am careful not to make a judgment based on the equipment I have. I keep trying to upgrade each side neck-and-neck, but one always pulls ahead of the other until the next improvement.

They don't sound the same, but if you work with care you can make them equally good — involving, interesting, musically revealing — in your own house.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:16 am 

How the playback material was made has way more to do with it than the medium. A very well engineered and recorded DDA piece of Vinyl will sound way better than an average AAA piece of Vinyl. Exact same hold true very well engineered and recorded AAD CD will sound way better than an average DDD disc. But when you get a well made AAA Vinyl or a well made DDD CD you get even more disappointed knowing how good it could sound.....

In the end Joe's ears like A, Mary's ears like B, and my ears like C, debate it all you want.

But t's always entertaining to observe these discussions :-)