US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 ... 172  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:20 pm 

Quote:
I also could hear the very distinctive sound of LED lighting noise pollution. Quite insidious actually. -Caelin Gabriel
We need LEDs powered by LPS in our listening room. I wonder how small of one we can get to retrofit a bulb, or what is the cheapest, somewhat effective filter to place on an LED lamp outlet? We'd still have airborne RFI though. Good posts on PS noise, and very interesting on the LPS-1 back fed noise, but that is less important and easier to deal with than what comes out the front, right?

When are we (I really mean you with a little help) going to build a DIY ultra cap solution with a Teradak energizer? We need a big bank like the LIO. Vinnie said on one of his threads that it is superior to the smaller bank found in his mini, and the mini is $995 and +$300 for higher voltages like 24v. His specs for the mini are < 5uV RMS output noise voltage. The LPS-1 charging circuit should generate less noise when driven by LPS, and I wonder if it could drive 2 or 3 times the ultra caps. Probably not since they spec that the energizing supply must have significant current. Or, maybe the charging could be slowed with a resistor since the discharge would also be slower. Now we know from the video how often the charging circuit turns on: every few seconds. Maybe Uptone will release an LPS-3 with 3x the ultracaps? :)

Those DNM caps are 21 pounds for 10,000uF @ 63v. I'm surprised the TeraDak is noticeably better than the Meiyan, don't they have the same specs and chip set?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:46 pm 

quote="danfl7"]
Quote:
I also could hear the very distinctive sound of LED lighting noise pollution. Quite insidious actually. -Caelin Gabriel

Quote:
We need LEDs powered by LPS in our listening room. I wonder how small of one we can get to retrofit a bulb, or what is the cheapest, somewhat effective filter to place on an LED lamp outlet? We'd still have airborne RFI though. Good posts on PS noise, and very interesting on the LPS-1 back fed noise, but that is less important and easier to deal with than what comes out the front, right?
Well I agree to a point - but remember what comes out in the front is effected by what goes back into the AC lines. So a perfect example the SMPS Meanwell that energies the LPS-1. It has no effect on the LPS-1's DC output (I would expect) but could have a large effect on all the other gear in the digital source chain - not powered by the LPS-1.

Quote:
When are we (I really mean you with a little help) going to build a DIY ultra cap solution with a Teradak energizer?
Somebody already did this and posted about it on the CA LPS-1 thread.
Attachment:
TB1Q3raHpXXXXciXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg
TB1Q3raHpXXXXciXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg [ 28.05 KiB | Viewed 1074 times ]

Attachment:
TB2XGm1aFXXXXckXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!1056860171.jpg
TB2XGm1aFXXXXckXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!1056860171.jpg [ 27.51 KiB | Viewed 1074 times ]

Quote:
We need a big bank like the LIO. Vinnie said on one of his threads that it is superior to the smaller bank found in his mini, and the mini is $995 and +$300 for higher voltages like 24v. His specs for the mini are < 5uV RMS output noise voltage.

They are expensive - less then 5uv is pretty good - but not as good as 0.8uv :mrgreen:

Quote:
The LPS-1 charging circuit should generate less noise when driven by LPS, and I wonder if it could drive 2 or 3 times the ultra caps. Probably not since they spec that the energizing supply must have significant current. Or, maybe the charging could be slowed with a resistor since the discharge would also be slower. Now we know from the video how often the charging circuit turns on: every few seconds. Maybe Uptone will release an LPS-3 with 3x the ultracaps? :)
Yes but I believe using a LPS as a energizer voids the LPS-1 warranty. I can understand this - so many LPS's out there - how can Uptone control what is used (many are under powered).

Quote:
Those DNM caps are 21 pounds for 10,000uF @ 63v. I'm surprised the TeraDak is noticeably better than the Meiyan, don't they have the same specs and chip set?
No not really - a similar general discrete circuit. But different implementations - otherwise the MEIYAN or ZeroZone would have a much wider voltage range. The DNM caps are reasonably priced.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:51 pm 

Finally i was cracy enough to read posts during my holidays in Thailand :roll: and finally i was cracy enough to order the DXIO PRO3Z coverter, which i received already and compared it to the singxser F1 :mrgreen:

The first impression was.....i got my old vinyl player turntable back that i missed since 30 years i think it was a DUAl 600 something....(the strange thing i asked a thai woman there and she did not know what a vinyl disk is :shock: really strange...after two days this impression did not change, its an absolutely relaxed feeling listening now, laid back, no stress....just good,....in comparison more laid back, a little bit darker sounding, absolutely quite backgroud, the differences compared to the singxser f1 are quite small, it depends on the personal taste... i like it :D

Attachments:
dxio2.JPG
dxio2.JPG [ 30.39 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]
dxio.JPG
dxio.JPG [ 57.24 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:32 pm 

erip2 wrote:
Finally i was cracy enough to read posts during my holidays in Thailand :roll: and finally i was cracy enough to order the DXIO PRO3Z coverter, which i received already and compared it to the singxser F1 :mrgreen:

The first impression was.....i got my old vinyl player turntable back that i missed since 30 years i think it was a DUAl 600 something....(the strange thing i asked a thai woman there and she did not know what a vinyl disk is :shock: really strange...after two days this impression did not change, its an absolutely relaxed feeling listening now, laid back, no stress....just good,....in comparison more laid back, a little bit darker sounding, absolutely quite backgroud, the differences compared to the singxser f1 are quite small, it depends on the personal taste... i like it :D
Vacation in Thailand! Lucky duck.

That is just a great post! After selling off my monster analog rig - I had a Dual CS721/Orotofon 2M Black for vinyl listening - killer great combo! Had a few Dual's in collage...but the CS721 is the best. And that Ultra low mass ULM tonearm with VTA was a perfect match to the outstanding 2M Black. Dialing in just the perfect rake angle to make the Orotofon sing. Had a custom solid cherry wood base to replace the plastic one. I sold them all - with digital this good - so hard for vinyl to compete.
Attachment:
IMG_1682.JPG
IMG_1682.JPG [ 98.82 KiB | Viewed 947 times ]

Attachment:
P1010952.jpg
P1010952.jpg [ 38.03 KiB | Viewed 947 times ]

Good impressions on the Pro3z - doesn't sound like a F-1 killer - but a different flavor. Nice report - Thanks!

Last edited by Tubelover2 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:38 pm 

Good impressions on the Pro3z - doesn't sound like a F-1 killer - but a different flavor. Nice report - Thanks![/quote]

yes i see it like this.....cool that you had a DUAL player also.... thanks :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:57 pm 

erip2 wrote:
Good impressions on the Pro3z - doesn't sound like a F-1 killer - but a different flavor. Nice report - Thanks!

yes i see it like this.....cool that you had a DUAL player also.... thanks :mrgreen:[/quote]

but its a comparison on a very hig level...like is Federer better than Nadal in tennis :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:04 pm 

erip2 wrote:
yes i see it like this.....cool that you had a DUAL player also.... thanks :mrgreen:

Quote:
but its a comparison on a very hig level...like is Federer better than Nadal in tennis :mrgreen:
Yes like a 2013 Opus One vs 2013 Dalla Valle Maya Cabernet...both exquisite.

Listening tonight to an old favorite - Norah Jones 'Come Away With Me'. Heard hundreds of times - 200gm virgin vinyl Classic Records QUIEX-SVP pressing, SACD, - but tonight from a lowly Red Book CD burn - the level of detail, the width and depth of the sound staging, the image focus and clarity, the resonant deep bass notes. Well just the 'in the room presence' - is like nothing I have heard before. Sweet, musical and dynamic. Just could not ask for more.

But with these Classic 200gm pressing going for $180 on Ebay - glad I kept my LPs stored safely away. :mrgreen:
Attachment:
norah-jones-come-away-with-me-lp-us-very-rare-200g-vinyl-still-sealed_2054058.jpg
norah-jones-come-away-with-me-lp-us-very-rare-200g-vinyl-still-sealed_2054058.jpg [ 23.71 KiB | Viewed 939 times ]

https://www.ebay.com/i/292072282037?chn=ps&dispItem=1

But who needs them? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:23 am 

Came across this F-1 look alike: Armature Hecate DDC
http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/interface ... 11413.html

Attachment:
armature-hecate-xmos-xcore-208-usb-spdif-asynchronous-interface-diy-version.jpg
armature-hecate-xmos-xcore-208-usb-spdif-asynchronous-interface-diy-version.jpg [ 63.98 KiB | Viewed 879 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:53 am 

Just popping over to HF and I have to laugh - two of my threads are at the top of the activity list! Speaking of popping MM has been busy there. And a new thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/warni ... rs.855277/

warning, win10 and 3rd party media players

Quote:
all of the 3rd party media players mess up the os after 40 minutes of playback do to tsr's in the os affecting explorer.exe. finally some nice programmers fixed it over at the jriver forum, must sign up free. not only for jriver by any means. first some guy wrote a vbs script you must compile. forget that. search the jriver forum for suspend process killer plugin and get .02 version. it works fine but he plans to develop it more.

symptoms are things like start button not working, Cortana and search not working, edge will not launch or crashes by turning black and others. I doubt ms cares as they want us to use wmp which of course is not affected.

I hope this helps anyone.

Then this sole reply:
Quote:
jcn3
500+ Head-Fier
Hmmm . . . I'm running the latest version of win10 and have had no problems whatsoever. Wonder what's driving your issues.

Well there was this posted on the XU208 thread:
Quote:
music_man
Headphoneus Supremus
i wanted the psa lanrover. psa tech told me it has issues with both win 10 and jriver22, the combination may not work at all. does anyone have that running? otherwise is there another device you would recommend? startech is the same thing and i already know it is a huge pita to use it.

btw, i have not been here because the site is horrid!

oh, i hope this is not the wrong thread. i had it running on win8, sold it. afraid of $600 to try it out since startech has big issues. at least i already have the lps-1 for it.

And over on my old HF AOIP website:
Quote:
music_man
music_man
Headphoneus Supremus
not to ruffle any feathers. I do not understand why this is such a big deal. very high end dacs need none of this and they can connect via 1gbps Ethernet. to be honest I may have missed something in these 300 pages. maybe on a $2,000usd dac yes. if you are going to spend all of this why not get the right $15k-$100k dac? I am currently using my qx-5 twenty upstairs and msb select custom downstairs. I had all of this on the qx-5 twenty. ayre told me just run a straight cardas hs clear cable right to the dac or an aq diamond to Ethernet input and I will be pleased that the sound has actually improved. I finally did so...........and ayre was crrect to my ears! I understand a budget but after you add all this aren't you up to a much beter dac that will hardly if at all benefit from this? it looks like some of you have spent much more on your usb chain than your dac. to me that seems like doing things backwards. that is just me though. I am not telling anyone they are wrong. not at all. I am merely suggesting if you can get a much better dac and you may be astonished at what it does with only a $3,000 usb cable or $5,000 Ethernet cable. I do not mind everyones passion for this I am merely making a suggestion. which, if you are able to implement I think you will find perhaps sounds better than all of this. or you may still want all of this on a $$$ dac. I don't know. personally just as they said I was happier with the sound. then I ripped it all off the $120,000usd msb and was also prompted with a better sound to my ears. this probably is very effective on a $2,000 dac but my point is haven't you then spent the amount of a better dac? if you are still going to do this you might as well just stick with a $2,000 dac. now I am sure someone is doing it with an msb,dcs and finds it to be another level. that is fine with me. I did not come here to insult anyone. just relate my experience. I originally read this when it was 3 pages and thought, great. ran out and bought it all just to later find it actually degraded the sound to me on ultra high end dacs. I mean no offense honestly. everyone is entitled to do exactly as they please in my eyes. there is no right or wrong in audio. if this sounds better to you, then all the more power to you! I honestly mean no harm here. if this all cost less I guess it would be easier for me to swallow. especially when used on a $2,000 dac. which the op I think at the time or still is using like a $500 dac. it does not add up to me that's all and that is just my opinion.i am glad this is changing your lives. I seriously am. I like to see people happy. so go right ahead! what do I know? the most important thing I wish to say is I am not trolling or crashing the party, I am simply inserting my opinion. I honestly wish each and every person in this hobby all the best. no matter how they feel they have achieved it.

I will say one thing on topic. the psa lanrover by psa's own admission and the icron/startech gigabit commonly used may not handshake with the new version of windows. so turn off update or if you got it I would reformat. having your music suddenly cut out will ruin your party I imagine. this is not a bogus post either just call the respective manufacturers. many of these other devices will continue to function as will rednet. I suppose you guy's have moved on from those devices already anyways. if so please disregard.

I am not here to judge, just do what makes you happy. I was just relating my experience. that's all.

Oh HF - things never change...I have the latest version of WIN10 and have absolutely no issues with my Startech - remember this op bought the wrong Startech (the non GB LAN version) then posted extensively on how the Startech GB LAN version doesn't work and/or sounds awful... :roll:

I use Foobar - anybody hear of issues with JRMC on the newest version of WIN10?

There was this from back in 2015...a little late to the game my friend...
Quote:
Cortana breaks if JRiver Media Center takes exclusive control of default audio device

SLslerch666 asked on July 27, 2015See post history

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ins ... d44463a6eb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:02 am 

Speaking of JRMC - I saw this thread on their website in reference to the newly available SoX upsampler:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index. ... igrl7ssoe0

This a free add on for Foobar and has been available for years. I use it in both my systems and really like it.

In the Foobar version - it has tremendous flexiblity and options - but it looks like alot of those are locked in the JRMC version:

Quote:
Hendrik
Administrator
Citizen of the Universe

Re: NEW: SoX Resampling
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 12:22:08 pm »
Linear Phase, VHQ, Steep Filter, which is the established best mode for general usage.

We do not currently plan to offer a configuration option.
~ nevcairiel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:51 am 

erip2 wrote:

It looks like you are buss powering the Pro3z. It's MUCH better externally powered, and voltage matters too. It will accept 5 to 6vdc. Its sound is a little hard at 5v, and warmer at 6v. I'm in between at 5.5v. I also have an iFi USB 2, and it does not help the sound in any way. In fact, I think it ruines the definition of the bass for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:00 am 

OK ready to release the next big upgrade to the 'Epitome' chain. With the major breakthrough of a single LPS to power all the devices - using these amazing LT3045 boxes, I began exploring different power cables on the sole DC-30W.

They make a significant difference - with the very good LAT AC-2 Teflon and Silver High Breed 6awg sounding very good. We tried many other top power chords as well - but were looking for a lower cost solution. With a friend's help we embarked to make a better power chord - and the resulting PC has taken the SQ to a new level. I'm continually floored at how important the digital source chain is - and how these improvements unlock deeply hidden details.

These very low level details are usually hidden beneath a noise floor of grunge. Once that grunge is cleaned away - they become apparent. Couple that with the greater accuracy (lower phase noise and jitter) of the femto clocks in each stage of the chain - allows for more accurate reproduction.

With each lay of underlying detail exposed, the sound stage gains depth, width, focus and clarity. The dynamics increase. All making for a more realistic presentation.

The step here I talking about (and the last few night's listening made it as plain as day), is the simple addition of a very special power cord to the single DC30W. That's all. And now the 'Epitome+' is achieved.

More details to follow.

Last edited by Tubelover2 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:59 pm 

TJHUB wrote:
erip2 wrote:

It looks like you are buss powering the Pro3z. It's MUCH better externally powered, and voltage matters too. It will accept 5 to 6vdc. Its sound is a little hard at 5v, and warmer at 6v. I'm in between at 5.5v. I also have an iFi USB 2, and it does not help the sound in any way. In fact, I think it ruines the definition of the bass for me.

This is a good point thank you for the info, i need to order the LT3045 module to power it externally, with the iFi do you mean the iPurifier2 ?

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:37 am 

100,000 views! Wow in just 6 months - amazing!

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:50 am 

Tubelover2 wrote:
OK ready to release the next big upgrade to the 'Epitome' chain. With the major breakthrough of a single LPS to power all the devices - using these amazing LT3045 boxes, I began exploring different power cables on the sole DC-30W.

They make a significant difference - with the very good LAT AC-2 Teflon and Silver High Breed 6awg sounding very good.
More details to follow.

Hi TL....
Woot!!! Can't wait to hear more details!!

Now that I've scored all the power supplies, it's time to upgrade the cables to those supplies!

Congrats on the great thread and all the views, (and of course), Thank you for all the work, and sharing it!!

Cheers,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 ... 172  Next