US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:36 am 

I recently added a number of Ghent DC power cables running between my 2 LPSs, 4 LT3045 boxes, and USB chain devices, and now that roughly 100 hours of burn-in time has passed I can report that this has made some further SQ improvement.

I now have 6 of these Ghent cables, which are made with Cardas star quad cable:

- 1 is a GX12 to Y splitter dual male 2.1mm, connected to one of my LPSs
- 1 is a female 2.1mm to Y splitter dual male 2.1mm, connected to one leg of the Y splitter described above

note that this gives me 3 X 2.1mm male coming from one LPS, and these are each plugged into input 2.1mm female panel jacks on DIY LT3045 boxes that go on to power the hub, LEX and RuR/iDefender/F-1

- 1 is a GX12 to 2.1mm male that is connected to my second LPS and plugged into an LT3045A box that goes on to power the REX
- 3 are 2.1mm male to 2.1mm male that plug into output of the LT3045 boxes and take power to the LEX, REX and RuR/iDefender/F-1

Note that I still have a DIY cable running from the LT3045 box that powers the hub to the hub, because the hub has a small DC power jack that I don't think Ghent sells a standard cable for.

SQ seems to have improved in a less definable way than it did with introduction of the LT3045 boxes -- it's more effortless and smooth, and distinct instruments seem to expand to have more defined areas in space. Once again, well known songs sound different and more enjoyable.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:05 pm 

Tubelover2 wrote:
danfl75 wrote:
So my Rur adapter is ok, my amber regen adapter much better, and USPCB best.
The attraction of the USPCB was it's ability to act as a USB VBUS blocker. But in the RuR>iDef>iPur2>F-1 that would not work. So I really don't know if the USPCB would be much of an improvement, will possibly try one down the road. I'd recommend getting a iDef and iPur2 before hand.

Bob, I'm still using the reflink, not an f-1 so I thought the iDef/ipur2 wouldn't help much now. Probably waiting on i2s option which means a new DAC. I hadn't considered that some of the improvement I heard may be due to the vbus blocking. I think you're still using the Recovery hard adapter between the RuR and idefender, and the USPCB was about 2 steps better in my system. FYI, I checked your Epitome+ summary and didn't see the iDefender listed, you may want to edit or update.

Could you also comment more on the plug choices in the Epitome+ AC cord, and how they affected the freq balance and other SQ aspects? I was surprised by your choice of AC plugs since I thought brass was bad. I'm sure they use the good kind, but wouldn't a more conductive alloy be better? Was the main trade off to get neutrality at the expense of clarity and dynamics? Which Watt Gates did you use, the top end? Have you ever tried the Oyaide Platinum/Palladium, I thought they were supposed to be more neutral than gold or rhodium? I was looking at the Cardas AC plugs, but wouldn't want pure copper on an IEC due to difficulty cleaning it. I was also considering rhodium on one end and gold on the other. Has anyone tried that to balance out the freq response?

Thanks for the helpful warnings Bob and spark, I'll probably put that aluminum box off.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:49 pm 

I got my LKS USB-100 DDC day before yesterday.
So far I understand in my system it is playing better than my previous Singxer F-1.
It is bringing more details and bass definition is better than F-1.
I am feeding 5v to it from LT3045/ZeroZone LPS.
I am happy with it.
Thanks Rob for recommending it.

Attachment:
lks.jpg
lks.jpg [ 299.75 KiB | Viewed 743 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:17 am 

Quote:
So your issue is the USB 3.0 port not playing well with the ICRON and SU-1 at native Redbook SR's. I would try Foobar and the SoX upsampler - I love the SQ of this combo. And another poster compared it to Hysolid player and liked them both.

But why would only upsampled (192k) works and native doesn‘t is kinda counter intuitive, as I would think it'd be the opposite way. One advantage FB2K plus SoX will give you is more control over the SoX setting. I'm not that familiar with JRMC, as I only used it during a free trial, but I am very familiar with FB2K. There I would try various buffer settings, also KS vs ASIO. Worth a shot it's absolutely free.

This extreme E+ chain is complex with many devices interacting with each other, so can be tricky. No one said it'd be easy or sexy (although @Spark85 is working on that!) but the SQ- oh man!! Worth it all. Listening to Pat Methany 'Unity Band' right now, and the cymbal work is so extrodinaryily real sounding, Pat's guitar as well. The dynamic jump exciting. This is it...the SQ of a lifetime.

Yes, it's strange why the Icrons don't play native redbook through a USB 3.0 port. The only one who probably could give an answer, the Icron company, sadly did not react on my questions. Maybe it has to do with my computer because yours does. As soon as I can loan another computer with 3.0 port I will try again.
I use both Foobar and JRiver on my computer. JRiver 23 has the SoX upsampler integrated and is in use. I have compared both programs extensively and I like JRiver a little bit more but the difference between both is small.

Eric

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:04 am 

Asimov wrote:
So far I understand in my system it is playing better than my previous Singxer F-1.
I am happy with it.

Attachment:
lks.jpg
Hi Asimov, Good to hear you like it! I'm using mine in my office system - it couples with the AD1865 DAC connecting by i2s very well. It at times does behave a little strangely - I leave it running 24/7 and sometimes when I first arrive at my office the sound is not working. I see the music playback slider in Foobar just flying away. All that's needed is a restart of foobar by closing it and reopening it. No biggie.

Other times, rarely, the SQ gets a tinny thin sound. It seems the clocking by i2s gets unsynced. The fix is just turning off the USB-100 and the AD1865 and restarting them.

But in my main system the F-1 does sound better using coax.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:31 am 

quote="danfl75"
Quote:
Bob, I'm still using the reflink, not an f-1 so I thought the iDef/ipur2 wouldn't help much now. Probably waiting on i2s option which means a new DAC. I hadn't considered that some of the improvement I heard may be due to the vbus blocking. I think you're still using the Recovery hard adapter between the RuR and idefender, and the USPCB was about 2 steps better in my system. FYI, I checked your Epitome+ summary and didn't see the iDefender listed, you may want to edit or update.
Thanks for the heads up on the iDef - I'll update that. I use a third party hard adapter between the iDef and the iPur2.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:47 am 

Empire_City_Denizen wrote:
I recently added a number of Ghent DC power cables running between my 2 LPSs, 4 LT3045 boxes, and USB chain devices, and now that roughly 100 hours of burn-in time has passed I can report that this has made some further SQ improvement.

I now have 6 of these Ghent cables, which are made with Cardas star quad cable:

- 1 is a GX12 to Y splitter dual male 2.1mm, connected to one of my LPSs
- 1 is a female 2.1mm to Y splitter dual male 2.1mm, connected to one leg of the Y splitter described above

note that this gives me 3 X 2.1mm male coming from one LPS, and these are each plugged into input 2.1mm female panel jacks on DIY LT3045 boxes that go on to power the hub, LEX and RuR/iDefender/F-1

- 1 is a GX12 to 2.1mm male that is connected to my second LPS and plugged into an LT3045A box that goes on to power the REX
- 3 are 2.1mm male to 2.1mm male that plug into output of the LT3045 boxes and take power to the LEX, REX and RuR/iDefender/F-1

Note that I still have a DIY cable running from the LT3045 box that powers the hub to the hub, because the hub has a small DC power jack that I don't think Ghent sells a standard cable for.

SQ seems to have improved in a less definable way than it did with introduction of the LT3045 boxes -- it's more effortless and smooth, and distinct instruments seem to expand to have more defined areas in space. Once again, well known songs sound different and more enjoyable.
The split GX12 GhentAudio is very good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:48 am 

bos3812 wrote:
Yes, it's strange why the Icrons don't play native redbook through a USB 3.0 port. The only one who probably could give an answer, the Icron company, sadly did not react on my questions. Maybe it has to do with my computer because yours does. As soon as I can loan another computer with 3.0 port I will try again.
I use both Foobar and JRiver on my computer. JRiver 23 has the SoX upsampler integrated and is in use. I have compared both programs extensively and I like JRiver a little bit more but the difference between both is small.

Eric
Hi Eric, I hope you get that worked out. Keep us posted

Post subject: ultraRendu
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:54 pm 

I got a Sonore ultraRendu (uR) a week or so ago. I have been ringing the changes with my LPSUs, to determine which works best where and so the LPS-1 is currently powring my Rasp Pi 3, which hosts LMS.

One thing I have found interesting with the ultraRendu is that it plus my Sbooster make a MUCH better fist of things than the same LPSU and the microRendu (mR).

I have just received a Chinese R-Core (zero-zone) LPSU with a low noise output, claims less than 13µV at 24VDC, mine is running at 8VDC.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-100VA-12V-6A-Low-Noise-R-core-DC-LPS-Linear-Power-Supply-display-L165-26/111997651336?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Do I hear this ......oh YES.

With the mR I found the order of LPSUs to be: LPS-1 + R-core = R-core > Sbooster > IFI 9v.

LPS-1 + R-core had the most transparent effect, you could hear further into the music. With just the R-core the transparency was reduced, but the music had more heft, was just more enjoyable.

The uR + Sbooster is better than the mR and any supporting LPSU + DC cable. Although with the Sbooster there is a slight feel of etched treble VERY occasionally.

The uR + low noise R-core is rather impressive, and I have only had it running for a few hours. Initially there was a slightly uncomfortable feeling to some music. I then reflected on my experience with grounding and so placed a cable between the new LPSU and my pre-amps grounding pin; sorted.

Once I have let the new R-Core bed in properly I will:

1. Use it to power the LPS-1 and see what I think; and
2. Use the R-Core with a 1A LT3045 (Bob willing), which should lower the PSRR again.

Another effect of the uR and low noise R-Core is to put a smidgen more space between music streamed locally from the StarTech and that from Qobuz .....I think. Got a friend coming over on Friday, I will run a test.

M

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:39 pm 

Hi Bob
As promised an update on the Bluewave USB to SPDIF board. Mine just arrived today and I had it up and running in a short time. No problem with my Linux server (Lucian has been having some trouble with Linux based sources). I have it temporarily set up and will install it properly at weekend. I have it powered with a 5v external LT3045 and fed by Iso Regen powered by 7.5v LT3045. Sounding fabulous out of the box but will let it burn in for a few days. Very happy so far, after only a few hours the sound is opening up in a beautiful way. I notice a snap and added precision, as well as beautiful clarity and depth.

This is Lucian Romega's new USB to SPDIf converter,. Incredible value and a thing of beauty, blue and gold pcb with the latest NZ2520SDA Ultra Low Phase Noise Oscillators. If you look close it has BNC connectors for external clock too, no need for mods.

More info on Diy Audio thread here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital- ... ty-17.html

Lucian is going to show me how to also bypass the internal reg on the isolated side so I can power directly with a LT3045 board... Much fun and enjoyment to be had!
Attachment:
Bluewave.png
Bluewave.png [ 1.69 MiB | Viewed 288 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:10 pm 

tapatrick wrote:
Hi Bob
As promised an update on the Bluewave USB to SPDIF board. Mine just arrived today and I had it up and running in a short time. No problem with my Linux server (Lucian has been having some trouble with Linux based sources). I have it temporarily set up and will install it properly at weekend. I have it powered with a 5v external LT3045 and fed by Iso Regen powered by 7.5v LT3045. Sounding fabulous out of the box but will let it burn in for a few days. Very happy so far, after only a few hours the sound is opening up in a beautiful way. I notice a snap and added precision, as well as beautiful clarity and depth.

This is Lucian Romega's new USB to SPDIf converter,. Incredible value and a thing of beauty, blue and gold pcb with the latest NZ2520SDA Ultra Low Phase Noise Oscillators. If you look close it has BNC connectors for external clock too, no need for mods.

More info on Diy Audio thread here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital- ... ty-17.html

Lucian is going to show me how to also bypass the internal reg on the isolated side so I can power directly with a LT3045 board... Much fun and enjoyment to be had!
Attachment:
Bluewave.png
Very nice! A new contender. We live in extraordinary audio times.

How much was it? A link to buy one would be great. Any idea which regs he uses on board?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:15 pm 

Tubelover2 wrote:
Asimov wrote:
I am happy with it.

Attachment:
lks.jpg
Hi Asimov, Good to hear you like it! I'm using mine in my office system - it couples with the AD1865 DAC connecting by i2s very well. It at times does behave a little strangely - I leave it running 24/7 and sometimes when I first arrive at my office the sound is not working. I see the music playback slider in Foobar just flying away. All that's needed is a restart of foobar by closing it and reopening it. No biggie.

Other times, rarely, the SQ gets a tinny thin sound. It seems the clocking by i2s gets unsynced. The fix is just turning off the USB-100 and the AD1865 and restarting them.

But in my main system the F-1 does sound better using coax.

Cheers

Hi Rob
I had the same problem at first, Foobar2K freezes and on clicking next it flying away, after stopping and playing again fixes it.

But all the problem has gone by changing the buffer length of Foobar from 2060 ms to 1060 ms, till now no freezing and playing nice
without any sort of problem.

But I am not sure how much current it needs for optimal performance, I am running it with 500mA LT3045.

Happy Listening!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:00 pm 

Tubelover2 wrote:
tapatrick wrote:
Hi Bob

Attachment:
Bluewave.png
Very nice! A new contender. We live in extraordinary audio times.

How much was it? A link to buy one would be great. Any idea which regs he uses on board?

Cheers!

It was €139 and in my opinion the best value addition to my system. Up there and equal to the change I experienced when adding the WavIO and Iso Regen and even my new PS Audio Junior DAC. I listened late into the night as the sound really opened up in an uncanny way. The sound got more clear and seemed very realistic and precise. Purified is the way I'd describe it, I imagine as the oscilators stabilised and warmed up. Soundstage kept expanding with added realism, precision and detail.

Details of purchasing etc are all here on the DIY audio thread.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital- ... ty-17.html

There was an entry price of €99 for the original and now €139 (this included shipping) for the new NZ2520SDA clocks added through a group buy. Lucians stock of the new oscillators is limited I believe so recommend this device without hesitation.

Regs are LP5907 which I am going to bypass when I find out which pins to use and possibly run 7.5v>5v>3.3V LT3045 boards for maximum effect.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:48 am 

Asimov wrote:
Hi Rob
I had the same problem at first, Foobar2K freezes and on clicking next it flying away, after stopping and playing again fixes it.

But all the problem has gone by changing the buffer length of Foobar from 2060 ms to 1060 ms, till now no freezing and playing nice
without any sort of problem.

But I am not sure how much current it needs for optimal performance, I am running it with 500mA LT3045.

Happy Listening!
Mine plays fine with 500mA as well. I'll try lowering the Foobar buffer setting.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:51 am 

tapatrick wrote:
It was €139 and in my opinion the best value addition to my system. Up there and equal to the change I experienced when adding the WavIO and Iso Regen and even my new PS Audio Junior DAC. I listened late into the night as the sound really opened up in an uncanny way. The sound got more clear and seemed very realistic and precise. Purified is the way I'd describe it, I imagine as the oscilators stabilised and warmed up. Soundstage kept expanding with added realism, precision and detail.

Details of purchasing etc are all here on the DIY audio thread.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital- ... ty-17.html

There was an entry price of €99 for the original and now €139 (this included shipping) for the new NZ2520SDA clocks added through a group buy. Lucians stock of the new oscillators is limited I believe so recommend this device without hesitation.

Regs are LP5907 which I am going to bypass when I find out which pins to use and possibly run 7.5v>5v>3.3V LT3045 boards for maximum effect.
I see - very reasonable. Sure wish it at least had i2s header pins like the F-1. I'm looking forward to seeing your LT3045 powering mods.

Cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162  Next