US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 233  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:14 pm
Posts: 164
Location: Surrey, UK
jrling49 wrote:
Quote:
What we really need is a low overhead OS (run on a SLC SD card) - minus the gargantuan code bloat of today's personal computers - just what's needed to run a music player and storage devices. A CPU with low power requirements - so easily LPS powered. Low cost, reliable and simple.


That is why I am using a Raspberry Pi 3 & piCorePlayer to run Logitech Media Server, powered by an R-Core LPSU via 3xLT3045 in parallel.

Downside? Not enough horsepower in the memory/cpu to do any experiments with up/down sampling.

M


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:23 am
Posts: 1949
Location: Seattle, WA, US
Mr Underhill wrote:
jrling49 wrote:
Quote:
What we really need is a low overhead OS (run on a SLC SD card) - minus the gargantuan code bloat of today's personal computers - just what's needed to run a music player and storage devices. A CPU with low power requirements - so easily LPS powered. Low cost, reliable and simple.


That is why I am using a Raspberry Pi 3 & piCorePlayer to run Logitech Media Server, powered by an R-Core LPSU via 3xLT3045 in parallel.

Downside? Not enough horsepower in the memory/cpu to do any experiments with up/down sampling.

M
I see - that is why for now I'm happy with the PC servers I've built. And will stay with them for the foreseeable future. Eventually - the Raspberry Pi will catch up.

Cheers!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:10 am
Posts: 9
Location: Shankill, , IE
jmmbarco wrote:
jrling49 wrote:
Quote:
What we really need is a low overhead OS (run on a SLC SD card) - minus the gargantuan code bloat of today's personal computers - just what's needed to run a music player and storage devices. A CPU with low power requirements - so easily LPS powered. Low cost, reliable and simple.

Couldn't agree more. Running audio players under Windows is crazy.

For the last couple of years I have been using a Linux Player minimised completely to the bare bones required for the highest SQ; total size of Boot file is <40Mb :D
Boots off a USB stick (or no doubt SD card) not touching any other files on the PC, so totally non-invasive. Even better when the Boot has completed <1 min the Boot stick can be removed from the USB slot as the player is fully loaded into RAM. Music files can be played from any internal or external drive (not tried it with StarTech chain but others have successfully).

I did a lot of Windows audiophile minimising/tweaking and this tiny OS wipes the floor with it.
And it's free.

It is called WTFPlay http://wtfplay-project.org/ and can be downloaded from here - http://wtfplay-project.org/#download

Downside - no fancy graphics; keyboard used for navigation. But that's in the cause of ultimate SQ. Only for Intel/AMD processors currently, no ARM port completed yet.


I agree. WTFPlay is truly fantastic....I used to run w2016 Core Server in RAM + JPlay + AO2.2 etc..... now this is my second reference..... :D :D

+1 on WTFPlay and been working faultlessly with Startech for over a year, never going back to windows based playback!!

_________________
H97M-D3H/i7@800cpu/800ram/PPAocxo/RAM Linear 1.3v, ATX Linear, PH SR7EHD 12v,5v,5v Linear, WTFPlay, JCat USB, Startech, Lush USB, ISORegen-Lampi Big7, Nige Batt Amp, Raidho C1s.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:14 pm
Posts: 164
Location: Surrey, UK
Tubelover2 wrote:
I see - that is why for now I'm happy with the PC servers I've built. And will stay with them for the foreseeable future. Eventually - the Raspberry Pi will catch up.

Cheers!


Not sure it ever will. Historically I have built servers using CMP squared. I like the idea of doing more in software, but ultimately I have never liked upsampling with everything. What attracts me at the moment is DOWNsampling, for the 24/192 files I have, these won't play through my DAC. There is a plugin in LMS that will do up/down sampling, and Sonore changed the version of squeezelite they use to allow me to use it - but the RPi3 doesn't have the horsepower.

I am looking at some alternatives Pi look-a likes that have more capacity as well as USB 3.0, for instance.

I DO like the idea of a minimalist computer with the least moving parts and a very honed OS.

Using the RPi3 to host the StarTech is a step up on my NAS, but there is more to be gained here I am sure.

M


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:51 am
Posts: 96
Location: Mondercange, , LU
Hi,

Received my Matrix X spdif2 today and I am happy with it, just one thing:

It should work without USB-power, as the manual says:

"With the external power supply port, convenient to upgrade the external
linear power supply. The device will auto-disconnect the USB bus power
supply after connected the external power supply, and can be connected to
the devices which do not support power output, such as mobile phone."

Am I misunderstanding anything? I tried the Vbusblocker out of the REX, but the Matrix will not light up (but it has 9V linear power from W4S LPS1)...

Chain: PC -> JB as Vbusblocker -> iDefender (with 5v Linear power) ->Matrix Usb-cable -> LEX -> REX (with usbstick with musicfiles) -> JB -> silver usb-cable -> iPurifier2 -> Matrix -> spdifcable with attenuator -> SMSL FDA

Any idea??

Thanx :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:23 am
Posts: 1949
Location: Seattle, WA, US
Danutz wrote:
Hi,

Received my Matrix X spdif2 today and I am happy with it, just one thing:

It should work without USB-power, as the manual says:

"With the external power supply port, convenient to upgrade the external
linear power supply. The device will auto-disconnect the USB bus power
supply after connected the external power supply, and can be connected to
the devices which do not support power output, such as mobile phone."

Am I misunderstanding anything? I tried the Vbusblocker out of the REX, but the Matrix will not light up (but it has 9V linear power from W4S LPS1)...

Chain: PC -> JB as Vbusblocker -> iDefender (with 5v Linear power) ->Matrix Usb-cable -> LEX -> REX (with usbstick with musicfiles) -> JB -> silver usb-cable -> iPurifier2 -> Matrix -> spdifcable with attenuator -> SMSL FDA

Any idea??

Thanx :)
Hi Danutz, Glad you like it. It needs a few hundred hours of burnin to open up and for a slight edge to disappear.

I believe it needs to see USB power to activate the data input relay. This is a protective mechanism (so does the IR - BTW), even when powering by the ext DC port. It would be nice if Matrix had a LED to show when power is being taken from the DC port vs the USB - just for peace of mind purposes.

Enjoy!

Bob


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:51 am
Posts: 96
Location: Mondercange, , LU
Thanx Rob, but how can it work with devices that don't have power output... so it should also work with the Vbusblocker...!????


Ahhh, perhaps I understand now: The Matrix worked without installing driver, with DS: speaker in foobar...after I installed the drivers, I chose ASIO spdif in foobar! So I imagine, that it should work without Vbus, but not with ASIO at the same time!? :?: :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:17 am
Posts: 17
Location: London, Middlesex, UK
Got my IR finally, but it doesn't like having the anker portable charger give the LH 2g USB cable power as it only maintains connection for 20 seconds. I recall Rob, you had a similar problem but your solution didn't work for me. The only way is to put the intona before the IR. I have a Y split cable LPS-1 powering both the IR and SU-1 at 5V (long time follower thanks!).


my system is: Jitterbug(sometimes)>2G USB+anker>Intona>USPCB>IR(LPS-1 split)>iDefender>USPCB>ipurifier2.0>SU-1(LPS-1 split)>coax out

Regardless to say, the sound quality is unbelievable but I can't help wonder if the addition of the Intona is pulling down the SQ?

I have a 5V LT3045 1A on the way, maybe I could use a teradak-30W to power the USB 5V?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:54 pm
Posts: 94
Location: Mariposa, CA, US
manishex wrote:
my system is: Jitterbug(sometimes)>2G USB+anker>Intona>USPCB>IR(LPS-1 split)>iDefender>USPCB>ipurifier2.0>SU-1(LPS-1 split)>coax out

Regardless to say, the sound quality is unbelievable but I can't help wonder if the addition of the Intona is pulling down the SQ?


No, as long as you have the ISO REGEN--with its superior clocking, signal integrity, and impedance match--after the Intona, then I don't think the Intona is harming things. :D

_________________
Music lover; Owner, UpTone Audio


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:23 am
Posts: 1949
Location: Seattle, WA, US
Danutz wrote:
Thanx Rob, but how can it work with devices that don't have power output... so it should also work with the Vbusblocker...!????


Ahhh, perhaps I understand now: The Matrix worked without installing driver, with DS: speaker in foobar...after I installed the drivers, I chose ASIO spdif in foobar! So I imagine, that it should work without Vbus, but not with ASIO at the same time!? :?: :?
Well in the manual it just states low power devices like moble phone or 'pad'. So it needs to see some power on the USB power lines - this is not unusual - many DDC's require this.

But if you can get it to work - hats off.

For me with the IR>iDef>Mercury>iPur2>Matrix not an issue. But I have to emphasize using ONLY 5VDC into the IR - higher voltage hurts the SQ.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:23 am
Posts: 1949
Location: Seattle, WA, US
manishex wrote:
Got my IR finally, but it doesn't like having the anker portable charger give the LH 2g USB cable power as it only maintains connection for 20 seconds. I recall Rob, you had a similar problem but your solution didn't work for me. The only way is to put the intona before the IR. I have a Y split cable LPS-1 powering both the IR and SU-1 at 5V (long time follower thanks!).


my system is: Jitterbug(sometimes)>2G USB+anker>Intona>USPCB>IR(LPS-1 split)>iDefender>USPCB>ipurifier2.0>SU-1(LPS-1 split)>coax out

Regardless to say, the sound quality is unbelievable but I can't help wonder if the addition of the Intona is pulling down the SQ?

I have a 5V LT3045 1A on the way, maybe I could use a teradak-30W to power the USB 5V?
Nice chain! Yes I would get rid of the Intona with it's inferior MEMS SiTime clocks, and noisy internal regulators.

I traced my issue with the 'cycling' on trying to power the Matrix and IR from one LPS to a bad DC 'Y' cable. Once I replaced that with a Ghent GX12 dual DC cable out of the DC-30W problem solved. SQ improved very slightly.
Attachment:
dc12-1.jpg
dc12-1.jpg [ 86.12 KiB | Viewed 728 times ]

Good luck!

Oh and as Alex has mentioned the IR should be powered last - if you get an unlock with the IR best to try unplugging the power and USB cable from it - then replug the USB then the power. That usually with regain lock quickly without a reboot. I always close Foobar before hand and reopen.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:17 am
Posts: 17
Location: London, Middlesex, UK
Tubelover2 wrote:
manishex wrote:
Got my IR finally, but it doesn't like having the anker portable charger give the LH 2g USB cable power as it only maintains connection for 20 seconds. I recall Rob, you had a similar problem but your solution didn't work for me. The only way is to put the intona before the IR. I have a Y split cable LPS-1 powering both the IR and SU-1 at 5V (long time follower thanks!).


my system is: Jitterbug(sometimes)>2G USB+anker>Intona>USPCB>IR(LPS-1 split)>iDefender>USPCB>ipurifier2.0>SU-1(LPS-1 split)>coax out

Regardless to say, the sound quality is unbelievable but I can't help wonder if the addition of the Intona is pulling down the SQ?

I have a 5V LT3045 1A on the way, maybe I could use a teradak-30W to power the USB 5V?
Nice chain! Yes I would get rid of the Intona with it's inferior MEMS SiTime clocks, and noisy internal regulators.

I traced my issue with the 'cycling' on trying to power the Matrix and IR from one LPS to a bad DC 'Y' cable. Once I replaced that with a Ghent GX12 dual DC cable out of the DC-30W problem solved. SQ improved very slightly.
Attachment:
dc12-1.jpg

Good luck!

Oh and as Alex has mentioned the IR should be powered last - if you get an unlock with the IR best to try unplugging the power and USB cable from it - then replug the USB then the power. That usually with regain lock quickly without a reboot. I always close Foobar before hand and reopen.


I have that cable too but the with the standard 2.1g barrel. I think my problem is the portable charger, the light goes out quickly so it doesn't work well with the IR. when I plug the power leg of the USB into my Samsung phone charger it works fine but I wonder how much sound quality is affected.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:23 am
Posts: 1949
Location: Seattle, WA, US
manishex wrote:
I have that cable too but the with the standard 2.1g barrel. I think my problem is the portable charger, the light goes out quickly so it doesn't work well with the IR. when I plug the power leg of the USB into my Samsung phone charger it works fine but I wonder how much sound quality is affected.
Your Samsung charger is a high noise SMPS - not good.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:33 am
Posts: 21
Location: City, , HK
Here's something that looks pretty much like Raspberry Pi, though it could still run either Windows 10 or WTFPlay

https://up-shop.org/4-up-boards

There's also an upcoming product with better specs

http://www.up-board.org/ai-edge/up-core-plus/
http://www.up-board.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Data-sheet-UP-Core-Plus-copy.pdf
http://www.up-board.org/ai-edge/net-plus/
http://www.up-board.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/UP-core-accessories-copy.pdf
https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/02/28/up-core-plus-board-to-support-ai-plus-fpga-and-ai-net-ethernet-expansion-boards/

Apparently we could add some components back to version 1709 of Windows Server Core, then we'll get GUI and audio support etc.

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/guide-adding-gui-to-server-core-1-2v.76023/

Nano Server image is actually less than 200MB, just take a look at the "NanoServer" folder inside ISO images of Windows Server 2016. Adding GUI and audio support didn't seem to take much effort, then we should be good to go afterwards.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:23 am
Posts: 1949
Location: Seattle, WA, US
seeteeyou wrote:
Here's something that looks pretty much like Raspberry Pi, though it could still run either Windows 10 or WTFPlay

https://up-shop.org/4-up-boards

There's also an upcoming product with better specs

http://www.up-board.org/ai-edge/up-core-plus/
http://www.up-board.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Data-sheet-UP-Core-Plus-copy.pdf
http://www.up-board.org/ai-edge/net-plus/
http://www.up-board.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/UP-core-accessories-copy.pdf
https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/02/28/up-core-plus-board-to-support-ai-plus-fpga-and-ai-net-ethernet-expansion-boards/

Apparently we could add some components back to version 1709 of Windows Server Core, then we'll get GUI and audio support etc.

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/guide-adding-gui-to-server-core-1-2v.76023/

Nano Server image is actually less than 200MB, just take a look at the "NanoServer" folder inside ISO images of Windows Server 2016. Adding GUI and audio support didn't seem to take much effort, then we should be good to go afterwards.
The whole idea is to get away from MS bloatware and the need for lot's of memory and CPU power to run it. Simpler the better.

Ideally a special purpose ASIC design based on the linux kernel with the GU interface. And not a UPnP Render set-up. Just a simple design - high quality audio player based on some thing like Foobar or JRMC. USB output and memory access.

Until then wondering about something that I've mentioned here long before - the mini Kangaroo.

https://www.amazon.com/Kangaroo-MD2B-Mo ... ive=165953

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-mini- ... -2760.html

And this one with USB-C connector:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076DCWZNT/re ... B076D76Z7L


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 233  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group