US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 229, 230, 231, 232, 233
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:35 pm 

So now that CA thread has become a mess! They have no discipline, methodology or baseline to compare all these crazy mods as to whether they are really helping or hurting the SQ. JSSG mods, elaborate grounding schemes, changing connectors, changing the actual wire schemes, not to mention the cables themselves. Just a complete mess, and why I wanted to keep that from happening here.

It's just a tweeking pissing contest with the shrink wrap gone wild. It all means nothing.

The bottom line - is you need a baseline to judge if the changes are benefiting SQ or just tweeking hobbyist unfounded suppositions and hobby time.

And a baseline in terms of judging SQ is more then listening to 2 songs.

The way I go about it is this.
Once you have a week of daily listening as a baseline then return the system to what it was before. Did the SQ decrease, change or actually get better. Once you have established you have made real progress.

Try the next change - if it does not immediately make an improvement - give it a day of run time. No improvement go back to baseline...then try another change.

This way you stay on track and it just doesn't disolve into a confusing mess.

The only comparison done there to the original PoE DC as I outlined was minimal. And most have not ever heard this - the Monoprice CAT cable may have been a real clunker - so anything decent would have been an improvement.

To much rushing and hurrying for tweeker bragging rights. That thread in four pages has become virtually worthless.
Attachment:
hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg [ 32.18 KiB | Viewed 755 times ]

Now that's how CA rolls!

Last edited by Tubelover2 on Wed May 16, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:38 pm 

Superdad wrote:
Tubelover2 wrote:
Alex I had a question for you and John - do you have any concern using this PoE DC small gauge cable post the LPS-1.0/1.2? In other words do you think the higher impedance would stress them?

No problem at all. It's all just voltage and current. The wire is not some sort of weird reactive load.
Got it - good!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:36 am 

Tubelover2 wrote:
Mr Underhill wrote:
Tubelover2 wrote:
Sure - the Canae comes in two version one with 10dB of attenuation built in and one with attenuation. I prefer the latter - as sets of BNC attenuators are easy to find and provide a range of attenuation.
https://www.amazon.com/Canare-BCJ-XJ-TR ... -BCJ-XJ-TR
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BNC-Attenuator ... xy63FSu32H
Bought, but ....
....May have dropped a bollock: The first link was again truncated, I have bought a Canare-BCJ-XJ-TRC - when I copied your post above I see that you have linked a Canare-BCJ-XJ-TRB, do I need to try and alter this?
They look the same - so I think maybe just a newer version? When I enter Canare-BCJ-XJ-TRB in the B&H Photo website it pops up Canare-BCJ-XJ-TRC
So I think you are good.
I'm looking for attenuators now that I have a Singxer F-1, but shouldn't we be using 75-ohm ones? I confess I don't really understand impedance matching the way I should. Also, should they have the highest possible BW? Some are rated out to 3GHz. It seems like this should all be important if the SPDIF coax cable is important. I'm currently burning in a DH Labs D-750 1.5M RCA to BNC cable. So far, I hear better clarity, but decreased bass compared to Bel Canto RefLink. Mr Underhill, which copper cable did you settle on? Are there other affordable RCA - BNC cables I should consider? Is using an RCA-BNC adapter good practice as that might allow more cable choices?
Edit: I see now that those adapters M searched on are BNC to AES/EBU. I was commenting on Rob's preferred link to a set of BNC attenuators. I can't find that in 75ohm, does it matter?

I'm getting iPur2 and AC Pur today and AQ Carbon usb 3.0 B to micro on Sat. FYI, those are now discontinued per AQ and the highest they said they have is Cinnamon, but Music Direct still has Carbon and Diamond. Still working on the rest of the chain and have more to post later on cat7 and other stuff. I need to buy cat6-7 couplers to string a bunch of cables together to burn in for testing. It's hard to know what you're listening to when they take so long to "get there". tia Dan

Last edited by danfl75 on Thu May 17, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:00 am 

danfl75 wrote:
I'm looking for attenuators now that I have a Singxer F-1, but shouldn't we be using 75-ohm ones? I confess I don't really understand impedance matching the way I should. Also, should they have the highest possible BW? Some are rated out to 3GHz. It seems like this should all be important if the SPDIF coax cable is important. I'm currently burning in a DH Labs D-750 1.5M RCA to BNC cable. So far, I hear better clarity, but decreased bass compared to Bel Canto RefLink. Mr Underhill, which copper cable did you settle on? Are there other affordable RCA - BNC cables I should consider? Is using an RCA-BNC adapter good practice as that might allow more cable choices?

With the F-1 no need for attenuators or impedance adapter. That is only if you have the Matrix SPDIF02 or Singxer SU-1 and you want to use the AES/EBU output to a SPDIF input.

A RCA to BNC will only narrow your choices. SPDIF cables can make all the difference in the world! I have tried about a dozen over the years. Of course the best don't come cheap. But my previous ref was the Audio Sensibility Silver Statement: About $200USD
https://audiosensibility.com/blog/produ ... ry=4059160

My current ref is the incredible Synergistic Research Element Copper with the Galileo MPC. The air, transparency, tonal richness, and dynamic speed this cable offered was a major step up.

Quote:
I'm getting iPur2 and AC Pur today and AQ Carbon usb 3.0 B to micro on Sat. FYI, those are now discontinued per AQ and the highest they said they have is Cinnamon, but Music Direct still has Carbon and Diamond. Still working on the rest of the chain and have more to post later on cat7 and other stuff. I need to buy cat6-7 couplers to string a bunch of cables together to burn in for testing. It's hard to know what you're listening to when they take so long to "get there". tia Dan
Sorry to hear about the AQ Carbon micro USB being discontinued - I had a AQ Cinnamon and the Carbon, while not a huge increase in SQ - it was a nice incremental one.

Yes burnin is a ****. This is why I do only one change at a time - if I can help it. And then let that stabilize before proceeding with further experiments. The PoE DC in my experience have long (+200hrs) burnin - so be patient. The other stuff 100hrs. On the AC iPur never really sensed any burnin changes.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:54 am 

Edit dup

Last edited by Tubelover2 on Fri May 18, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Bugger, bugger, bugger!!
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:32 am 

Thinking that the weak point of my system was probably the Raspberry Pi 3 I was using to run Logitech Media Server (LMS) I started looking at various server based solutions, including NUCs and building my own.

As a part of my research I looked at the Small Green Computers SonicTransported. Vortexbox UK sell there own version called the Audiostore Prestige 2:
https://www.vortexbox.co.uk/Audiostore_ ... 32231.aspx

On Computer Audiophile a chap was selling his XL version for £550 + £150 for an SBooster LPSU to power it, this seemed like serendipity so I bought it.

Well there is no doubt that the sound quality is better, and the last remnant of sibilance has been banished .....BUT, these boxes run their own linux based OS and, as I have just found out, only allow you to mount ONE USB device. So I can see all four 512GB USB sticks on the StarTech ...but, only mount ONE.

Currently I have Qobuz, one USB stick and my Synology NAS set up. The Prestige also has a 1TB SSD onboard, so I will test that in due course.

Is there any difference between the NAS and the StarTech hosted files? YES. Not massive, but there is no doubt they are a touch more detailed and dynamic.

If I could get onto the box via SSH I could solve the issue on about two minutes!

Options:
> Live with one USB stick on the HUB via StarTech;
> Set up the RP3 as a NAS and raid the USB sticks .....I suspect this will lose some of the advantages of the StarTech;
> Free the Prestige and load Ubuntu and so what I want;
> Try and gain SSH access.

Qobuz has taken a nice upward tick.

Overall mixed news, but there is no doubt this box is better than the RP3.

M

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:51 am 

Mr Underhill wrote:
Thinking that the weak point of my system was probably the Raspberry Pi 3 I was using to run Logitech Media Server (LMS) I started looking at various server based solutions, including NUCs and building my own.

As a part of my research I looked at the Small Green Computers SonicTransported. Vortexbox UK sell there own version called the Audiostore Prestige 2:
https://www.vortexbox.co.uk/Audiostore_ ... 32231.aspx

On Computer Audiophile a chap was selling his XL version for £550 + £150 for an SBooster LPSU to power it, this seemed like serendipity so I bought it.

Well there is no doubt that the sound quality is better, and the last remnant of sibilance has been banished .....BUT, these boxes run their own linux based OS and, as I have just found out, only allow you to mount ONE USB device. So I can see all four 512GB USB sticks on the StarTech ...but, only mount ONE.

Currently I have Qobuz, one USB stick and my Synology NAS set up. The Prestige also has a 1TB SSD onboard, so I will test that in due course.

Is there any difference between the NAS and the StarTech hosted files? YES. Not massive, but there is no doubt they are a touch more detailed and dynamic.

If I could get onto the box via SSH I could solve the issue on about two minutes!

Options:
> Live with one USB stick on the HUB via StarTech;
> Set up the RP3 as a NAS and raid the USB sticks .....I suspect this will lose some of the advantages of the StarTech;
> Free the Prestige and load Ubuntu and so what I want;
> Try and gain SSH access.

Qobuz has taken a nice upward tick.

Overall mixed news, but there is no doubt this box is better than the RP3.

M
Hi M - Very interesting stuff. Likely the RP3 just didn't have enough juice to do the audio stream properly.
Too bad on the single USB stick limit - I was hoping you could try a SLC mSD at some point in the future. For me that was a great SQ gain, especially in the USB 3.0 hub fed by LT3045/PoE DC.

It seems like the Audiostore Prestige is geared mainly for streaming. Hence the OS Roon optimized. It is not a cheap box and lacks the flexibility I seek in being a 'local' file only guy.

Does it allow any kind of s/w upsampling - like FB2K and JRMC do very well?

Good luck on getting that to work with mult USB devices.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:32 pm 

Edit dup

Last edited by Tubelover2 on Fri May 18, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:51 pm 

Long listening session last night - the SQ just keeps getting better and better with the PoE DC settling in! In fact, listening to a few favorite albums I haven't heard in a few months - the SQ was just so much better then before!

I mean transformationally better by a such a significant degree I feel I need to update the relative ranking list.

This PoE DC discovery may be the greatest single improvement I have experienced since I began this journey to perfect digital source many years ago.

And all from just from $25 in easy to connect plug and play parts:
Of course it helps if you have some LT3045's and a decent LPS - but the effect should be heard even off a cheap iPower or other SMPS.

Here is all you need:
$9
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Set-Pairs-Po ... 2749.l2649

$6 each - personally for me the UGREEN is my favorite CAT 7.
And either of these or a combination in different locations of these CAT 7 cables
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UGREEN-Etherne ... 2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBRA-3-Feet-CA ... 2749.l2649

In designating this new chain 'The Perfect One' not that it is - nothing is perfect. But for me this is the 'perfect' audio source I have always been looking for - analog or digital. I can't ask or want for anything more - in fact this far surpasses anything I thought hi end audio was capable of.

The in room realism and presence (especially on the 5ft tall Maggies) is just spooky. Extraordinary bass depth and definition - something I thought only achievable with subs on the Maggie planars. The detail, focus, transparency and clarity beyond anything I have heard analog or digital produce (and I had spent north of $20K to try and achieve that). But it's the point source imaging that has surpassed any thing before - not flattish layered 2D cardboard cutouts - but musical point sources defined by a 3D radiated sound hanging in air. The frontal wave crisp, cleanly defined - without ringing, diffusion, or blur. But it's the recreated and uncovered extremely detailed back and side reflections - those subtle low level ambient clues uncovered and presented in unbelievable clarity and focus - that trick the Ear/Mind into creating the illusion of space. Wide and deep, cavernous deep - extending many feet beyond the rear wall - and the Maggies are already several feet in front of that same wall. Same for the sides. The recreated venue super imposed over the actual real physical space. And within this newly created space - life sized performers - projecting an inner lit quality. As if an audio spot light were shinning on them - not holograms, those fakish illusions - but living, breathing beings. There to perform just for me. Naturally tonally rich without artificial digital etch nor syrupy analog rounding. So no unrealistic sizzly hyper detail I hear from so many digital sources. But purity, an organic rightness - this is a tremendous audio magic trick to pull off - and here finally achieved in spades. I could go on and on describing the perfect relationship between initial impulse wave and the trailing harmonics. Or the speed of the micro dynamics - I like to call 'jump'. Or the the outstanding macro dynamics - that have me adjusting the volume to allow my amps headroom to keep up without compression. Running a Class 'A' solid state amp (up to 30 watts) that gradually biases over to A/B to 140 watts (8 ohms/280 watts 4 ohms)- this amp excels in that sweet Class 'A' sound over 90% of the music - but when the music calls for it - like on big drum strikes - the amp has the headroom to play uncompressed.

All this I have described partly due to the blackest black - lowest floor noise I have yet experienced. Absolutely trouncing anything that analog is capable of. But there is more going on here - a type of power related noise eliminated - allowing all these hyper sensitive femto clocks to do their job better, cleaner, the true Achilles heal of computer audio.

So I now christen this the 'The Perfect One' PoE DC/USB audio: Note other improvements over the 'Ultimate' Chain the addition of the iFi Mercury3.0, and iFi AC iPur.

Here would be my current ratings and rankings (the numbers are just a relative number - they are not percentages). The Breeze Audio (Talema) DU-U8 = 100

Obviously these are my subjective ratings YMMV - and yes I have owned (had a loaner) all these for an extended period of time:
'The Perfect One' PoE DC Hybrid/Ethernet GB/F-1, Iso Regen, etc.....2000!! Perfect I say - just perfect! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
'Ultimate' Hybrid USB/Ethernet GB Lan Chain Matrix SPDIF-2, Iso Regen, etc... - 1000! Eureka this is IT! :lol: Silly Good!
'Epitome+' Hybrid USB/Ethernet GB LAN chain 'Epitome +' power cable 3.0 USB Hub - 700 YES i't really that much better! :mrgreen:
'Epitome' Hybrid USB/Ethernet GB LAN chain (see post on the prior page and page 100) 500 - YES it's that good!
'Ultra' Hybrid USB/Ethernet GB LAN chain (details to long to list) 370
BURL B2B DAC with DANTE Brooklyn II/ modded w/LPS power 285
REDNET 3/Cerious Graphene/Mutec 3+ USB (SPDIF)/Antelope OCX (RN wClock) 270
REDNET 3/Cerious/Mutec 3+ USB/Audience au24 se digital cable 250
REDNET 3/Cerious/Mutec 3+ USB (SPDIF reclocker)/AS Sliver Statement dig cable 240 - Right about here is where I felt my old $30k Analog rig was finally surpassed (VPI Super Scout Master Signature/Dynavector XV1-S/all Nordost Vahalla cabling including the VPI tonearm/Bent Audio Silver Step-Up transformers/Conrad Johnson totl tubed Phono Pre-amp/Siemens CCa early '60s NOS tubes).
REDNET 3/Cerious Power Cord 220
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/ iPur2/Startech GB LAN Iso USB 170
Mutec 3+ Smart Clock USB/Cerious Power Cord 155
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/ iPur2 145
PUC2 Lite TeraDak DC30W/Cerious/Regen 135
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious 135
DXIO Silver/TeraDak DC-30W/Cerious 130
Singxer X-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/iPur2 125
PUC2 Lite - USB power 110
Singxer F-1 Stock feed 110
Breeze/Cerious Graph/WBT RCA Nexgen 109
Breeze DU-U8 with Cerious Graphene 108
Breeze DU-U8 (Talema version) 100
Breeze DU-U8 (BingZi version) 95
Hydra Z with LPS 92
Melodious MX-U8 (upgraded caps) 85
Melodious MX-U8 (stock) 81
Gustard U12 (upgraded caps) 76
Gustard U12 stock 72
iDAC DAC2 (used as a DDC) 65
Musiland USB3.0 US Dragon 65
M2Tech EVO with LPS 60
Audiophileo 2 USB Power 50
M2Tech Hiface 40

'The Perfect One' USB chain details:

Data chain: Music PC(iCore 7/WIN10 Fidel Pro Purist)PCIe USB card>JB modded VBUS blocker>2G split USB(data leg)>LEX>BJC CAt6a (1 foot)>REX>2G data leg in USB 3.0 Hub with JB VBUS blocker then to the REX by AQ Carbon USB 3.0, power leg in a stock JB into a REX port> IR>iDef>Mercury 3.0>iPur2>Singxer F-1 (BNC)

Power chains:
REX: Minishow LPS 13VDC (LT1083/R-Core version)>PoE DC IBRA CAT 7>1A 12VDC LT3045>6in star quad silver/teflon DC>LEX

LEX: TeraDak DC-30W/ R-core version with four large 4700uf caps replaced by Nichicon HW - split Ghent Audio star quad Oyaide gold DC cable>PoE DC UGREEN CAT 7>2G power leg> adapter (2.1mm DC to USB)>dual series LT3045 (7VDC & 5VDC 500mA)>custom 6inch star quad silver teflon copper braid shielded cable>LEX

IR (IR>iDef>Merc>iPUR2>F-1 chain): TeraDak DC-30W/ R-core version with four large 4700uf caps replaced by Nichicon HW - split Ghent Audio star quad Oyaide gold DC cable>PoE DC UGREEN CAT 7>dual series LT3045 (7VDC & 5VDC 500mA)>custom 6inch star quad silver teflon copper braid shielded cable>IR

SSD (PNY CS211 for OS): Data: fed by special Amphenol SATA twin silver copper shielded cable. Power:TeraDak DC-30W/ R-core version with four large 4700uf caps replaced by Nichicon HW - split Ghent Audio star quad Oyaide gold DC cable>PoE DC UGREEN CAT 7>LT3045 (5VDC 1A)>custom 6inch star quad silver teflon copper braid shielded cable>DC to SATA power adapter>SSD

USB 3.0 Memory Hub: TeraDak DC-30W/ R-core version with four large 4700uf caps replaced by Nichicon HW - split Ghent Audio star quad Oyaide gold DC cable>PoE DC IBRA CAT 7>dual series LT3045 (7VDC & 5VDC 500mA)>custom 6inch silver teflon copper braid shielded cable>USB 3.0 Hub

Music Data storage chain: USB 3.0 hub from the plug side: SLC mSD/USB 3.0adapter, USB stick, Jitterbug VBUS VBUS Blocker to 2G data to IR.
AQ Carbon micro USB 3.0 cable from USB 3.0 HUB to REX.

Enjoy!

PS Edit - just cleaning up some spelling and typos

Last edited by Tubelover2 on Fri May 18, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:45 pm 

440,000+ Views!!! :D In fact logging close to 1000 in the last 24 hours!!

At this lovely, beautiful island of audio paradise called USAM! Love this place...thank you so much for putting up with my sarcastic humor and occasional audio break throughs.

As I sit here reflecting on this amazing journey, listening to Keith Jarrett 'Paris Concert', piano unlike any stereo I have heard reproduce...just sumptuous tones...so very happy!

It's been an honor to share it with you. Now would be good time to bug out for a while.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:32 am 

I wanted to add a bit on the hurdles I faced and overcame by blogging about these discoveries list above and below. As a word of advice to anyone who might want to attempt this. Each and everyone was met initially with massive scorn, derision,and out right personal attacks. Being a stubborn and persistent (if not egotistical) individual I persisted in spite of all that - fending off in my threads a whole host of trolls, thread hijackers, and some pretty awful folks. Not that they had tried what I had suggested and didn't like (that very rarely happened), but just got their jollies off this kind of negativity and thread destroying. Not one to bow down graciously to this kind of malarkey I fought them tooth and nail. It's been some battle. I do not recommend anyone try doing what I have done, trust me it's not a pleasant stroll. In fact the bigger and more audacious the break through the harsher the treatment. On the positive side there have been many open and fair minded folks who tried what I was so excited about - and found benefits. And they followed and supported - but almost never came to my side in these battles - those I was left to fight on my own. But I'm a big boy and can handle myself.

So why would I do this? Great question. Unlike the various Audio marketeers - those who handsomely profit from their audio blogging and business (and who obviously have a huge conflict of interest and bias) for me it was a pure labor of love. Audio and Music have given so much to me - and the audio Giants I had followed in my early years were so helpful. I'm eternally grateful to them - folks like Harry Pearson of TAS. Of course they ran and wrote for audio magazines, so did not have to battle the thread trolls. But I felt I wanted to give something back to the audio community. And create a place where these audio discoveries would be archived for future audiophiles to help them. As I finish my blogging activities - I feel I have accomplished this - unfortunately with the scars to prove it.

For those new to this thread an unfamiliar with my past threads on HF just a quick summary:

The view count here has surged past 440,000 - not bad for this kind of out of the way place. And many thanks to the USAM folks for allowing me to post here.

When my other HF threads are added in, I have a combined view count over 2.3 Million. :mrgreen:

Some of my breakthoughs discovered and announced here: LDover LT3045 boards and PoE DC!

Some of my past audio discoveries and breakthroughs on HF:
Most of these threads are still quite active.

First to blog about the then new USB chip from XMOS the U8 in the Gustard U12 DDC: 545,000 views
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gustard ... ip.736294/

First to blog about the newer USB chip from XMOS the XU208: 446,000 views
Also discovered, bought and blogged about the Cerious Tech Graphene Xtreme PC.
I discovered, bought and was the first to discuss the amazing Singxer F-1 and later the SU-1:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/xmos-xu ... ed.803111/

First to buy and blog about the Ethernet Level 3 AOIP Rednet: 257,000 views
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/xmos-xu ... ed.803111/

First to buy and blog about the hybrid Startech/ICRON GB Ethernet USB extenders: 330,000 views
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb-str ... me.829639/

First to discover, buy and blog about the amazing Reflector '75 SWGP HG 6N23P tubes: 146,000 views
Awarded 'Contributor' status (the highest level on HF) by Jude for this review
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/6922-tu ... es.761078/

DAC60 R2R Mod Project: 54,000 views
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lite-da ... ct.740362/

First to start a thread on Thunderbolt Three: 10,700 views
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/thunder ... rd.806121/

First thread on the Soekris R2R DAC: 98,000 views
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-soe ... ls.754547/

Three part series on linear power supplies: 34,000 views
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-p ... ns.821621/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-p ... ns.821731/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-p ... ns.822160/

Of all these the PoE DC has to be one of the greatest of all audio discoveries - certainly the easiest to buy and install - and the cheapest.

Good Luck to all of you in your quest for your 'Perfect Audio'

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:56 am 
Site Admin

Hello everyone, we're locking this thread at the OP's request because it has become just so huge. Tubelover2 will create a new thread to continue discussion.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 229, 230, 231, 232, 233