US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Headphone amps
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:11 pm 

Hope to find a tube based headphone amp that will work best with my Hi=Fi Man HE600S. I have tried a few amps already, and like some of what I hear. Just need a few more suggestions.

Post subject: Re: Headphone amps
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:41 am 

maybe list the ones you have tried so far so we dont recommend them again.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:26 am 

So far, I tried the Xenos HA-1 headphone amp that is a battery powered SS amp. I like it to a degree, yet tube want a tube design. Also, I have used the Xiang Sheng DAC-02 that is modified. It is really good, near the top of my recommendations. Not so great was my experience with Hi-Fi Mans' EF2 amp. An inexpensive and cheaply built amp. Came damaged, and I had to send it back. Didn't get to hear it, but wouldn't want to own it either, due to what I saw of the build quality. The Glassware Audio Akido amp is my favorite so far. It has excellent build quality and an unusual design. It uses old tubes that were originally used in car radios as frequency oscillators? Not really sure. It also uses SS voltage regulators as output devices. In the end, it is a high current, and high performing headphone amp. Lastly is the Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 amp that I am rebuilding. So far, I am not impressed, BUT the tubes can be rolled, and I expect to have different results from that. Presently, Russian tubes are in it, and I beg for more treble response. Bass is really good and accurate, midrange sounds a little heavy, but tube rolling may be the answer here. That's it so far, and am still interested in other amps to try.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:23 am 

do you have a price point you are trying to stay in ?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:42 am 

So far, all the amps have been under $350. That's not to say that I couldn't be swayed to $600, but that would be about it.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:11 pm 

Along the search I was fortunate to stumble across an option that hadn't occurred to me before. It is possible, with the proper precaution, to use a power amp for your headphones. This may involve anything from simply placing a resistor in series with the positive binding post (that didn't work well enough for me) to making a voltage divider from two resistors for each channel, to shunt part of the output to ground, in addition to the series resistor. This method worked very well for me, and even makes me wonder if I haven't found the ultimate amp for my planar set of headphones. I found the idea at DIY Audio Heaven, where it is described in detail.