US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:46 pm 

I thought I’d share a bit of a problem I have with Schiit. I recently bought a Lyr 2 headphone amp directly from the company website. About 3 weeks into ownership, I began to have problems with audio cutting out. When I wiggled the headphone plug, the sound would come back, only to go out again if I moved the cable. This happened with different cables and different headphones, so I narrowed the issue down to Lyr headphone jack.

Needless to say, I contacted the company, and sent the amp back AT MY EXPENSE, around $20 insured. I emailed about who pays for shipping, and got no response, so I figured that if they checked out the amp and didn’t find any problem, I would eat the cost. That’s fair.

A week goes by, Schitt sends the amp back with a note that says they replaced the headphone jack. I plug the thing in, and sure enough, it works great now. So I emailed them and asked about shipping charges. No response. I email again, and get the answer that I am responsible for shipping cost to them. WAIT A SECOND. I HAVE TO PAY A $20 SURCHARGE BECAUSE THEY SENT ME A DEFECTIVE PRODUCT?? WHAT KIND OF SCHIIT IS THAT??? I CALL BULLSCHIIT!!

If anybody out there is thinking about buying their Schiit, think twice. If you have a problem, and you live on the other side of the country, you will be out $40-50 or more if you have a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:58 pm 

I don't see the problem here. Warranty repairs are often handled this way in the industry...and many other industries too.

The product worked fine when you got it. It wasn't defective at the time it was sent out so they did not send you a known defective product. Also, the product has a 5 year warranty. So, if you have a problem in 4 years and 6 months, all you pay to get fixed is shipping one way. How many sub $500 products do you know of that come with a 5 year warranty?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:43 pm 

winders wrote:
I don't see the problem here. Warranty repairs are often handled this way in the industry...and many other industries too.

Almost all audio warranties state that it is the responsibility of the owner to get the unit to the factory or service center or rep or dist. etc. If under warranty, most companies will pay for the return shipping.

Has been this way for all the time I was in the business.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:50 pm 

you are responsible for shipping there and back.....its just the way it goes.

your complaining about $20 shipping ?? I recently tried to support a small company and bought a passive preamp with them and had to send it back to them 2 times and each time its $75.....so I am looking at $150 for shipping and the second time I got the preamp back it died , so I cut my losses and bought something else.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:20 pm 
Premium User

Taken from the company website:

WARRANTY
Did you say you have a 5-year warranty?
Up to 5 years, yes. The specific warranty length is noted on each product page, and complete terms are available in the downloadable manuals.

Who pays shipping if I need warranty service?
You pay shipping to us, and we pay shipping back, unless no fault is found. In that case you pay shipping both ways.

Wait a sec, what if I get something that's bad out of the box? You mean I have to ship it back?
If you have a problem within 15 days of receiving the product, let us know and we'll do everything we can to swap it out for you quickly, at no cost to you. However, please note that for trans-shipped products, this will only cover shipping to the trans-shipper.

What if I’ve extensively modified my product, and/or used it as a wine carafe—is it still covered under warranty?
In short, no. We hope you understand. We also hope you understand that "No User-Serviceable Parts Inside" means "opening this product voids the warranty."

Looks pretty straight forward to me and in keeping with most warranties. That being said you may decide not to buy their products in the future based on this.

I myself would never buy one of their products for no other reason than their name sounds like sh*t.