US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:36 am 

go4vinyl wrote:
Thanks for replying -
I've listed the integrated I've had that I can remember below...I've always been curious about Lavardin as previous poster mention - you don't have a problem being without a remote? Has anyone compared the IT and IS versions?

In no special order - all of them great sounding...

Denon PMA2000IVR (had 2 of them, and will buy again when I have space)...

Hello!

I just recently purchased a very fine example of the PMA-2000IVR from the classifieds here and have been enjoying it since this past Friday. This is the first integrated amp I've ever owned, having "gown-up" with receivers exclusively. I can only tell you that, sonically, it's the finest thing I've ever owned.

Anyway, my question to you is what about this particular amp makes you buy it twice, and perhaps, a third time? Just looking for another owner's perspective since I don't have anything else to compare it to personally.

Thanks for any insights...Happy listening to you!

Arvin

P.S. - As to your original question, the finest integrated I have ever had the pleasure to listen to would be a colleague's Dan D'Agostino Momentum driving Martin Logan ESL's. The Momentum would also qualify as the most beautiful-looking integrated amp I have ever seen as well...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:19 pm 

Is there a version of this thread for Under $2000 amps?

J/K, I know a couple mentioned do qualify.

So is here where I can complain about the endless parade of black-face components in the year 2017? I just bought two more. Impossible to see. Silver-face was optional, hundreds of dollars more and shipped from Japan.

Whoa, here's a Marantz CD player in Champagne for $7453 at Amazon!

Only $4000 if you'll accept black.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:06 pm 

Luxman L550ax

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:03 am 

Favorite is my Cairn 4808A - 30 watts per channel with first 10 watts in class A.
Honorable mention to the Portal Panache and Sony TA-F707.

Least favorite was my Classe CAP -151.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:52 am 
Distributor/Sponsor

Audio Hungary - Qualiton A50i

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:52 pm 

timrhu wrote:
Least favorite was my Classe CAP -151.

Although I enjoyed the somewhat dark signature sound of my CAP-151, I had to let it go because it heated up the room like a space heater. Summertime listening sessions were no fun at all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:49 pm 

Great input and opinions - thanks everybody!

I really enjoy that there's always makes I'm unaware of...
Audio Hungary - Qualiton A50i
...and so checked the images online and it sure looks nice, even though I'm not in a situation to use tubes (I have tubes in my mini-marshall stack, which I use very sparingly due to heat emissions :-)

@Arvin - congrats on the PMA2000IVR...as mentioned, I'd buy it again if I at some point have funds and room to collect amps...it's just one of the standouts for me (as are Creek Destiny and my current Perreaux).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:21 pm 

hifijones wrote:
go4vinyl wrote:
I've always been curious about Lavardin as previous poster mention - you don't have a problem being without a remote?

Truth to tell I've owned the IT for a very short time so the jury is still out on dealing without a remote control on an everyday basis. Obviously I'd prefer that it had a remote. But so far the sublime sound quality more than compensates for the inconvenience of remote-less operation.

Well the jury has spoken and I'm quite certain that I can live without a remote control. I discovered that I have essentially 3 volume preferences: daytime listening, nighttime listening and the wee-hours-of-the-morning/nighttime listening.

Daytime: 10 o'clock position on the volume control
Nighttime: 9 o'clock
Wee-hours: 8 o'clock

I preset the volume control according to the time of day and I have to say that in 30-40 hours of recent listening sessions I have had to get out of my chair and adjust the volume only 2 or 3 times; obviously my comfort zone is between 8:00 and 10:00 so I'm happy to report that any additional volume adjustments have become dispensable for the most part.

So ymmv but fear not intrepid adventurers! It is both possible and yes, practical to live without a remote control. If you love your amplifier like I love mine you'll willingly choose sq over convenience. I guess it helps to have an amp and speaker combo that are well-matched in terms of impedance and efficiency. And room size will be a key factor as well. I got lucky and I couldn't be happier. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:56 pm 

Quote:
It is both possible and yes, practical to live without a remote control. If you love your amplifier like I love mine you'll willingly choose sq over convenience.

Or just situate your amp near your chair. Handy if the phone rings, or you hear things go bump in the night.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:17 am 

I owned Marantz PM KI pearl for a year or so, very nice piece. I went to Dynaudio C1 speakers and needed more power, so I now own a Modwright KWI-200. Awesome for my application, it's been called a "velvet hammer".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:26 pm 

Archguy wrote:
Quote:
It is both possible and yes, practical to live without a remote control. If you love your amplifier like I love mine you'll willingly choose sq over convenience.

Or just situate your amp near your chair. Handy if the phone rings, or you hear things go bump in the night.

Unfortunately it's not feasible in my 14' x 10' room. Not to mention that it would also violate all the tenets of Feng shui as well. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:32 am 

No scoffin' (unless you heard & disliked one!)

Technics SU-VX800

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:52 pm 

Mastersound Evolution 845. Deelicious-sounding 53-kilo space heater. With a remote. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:16 pm 

Even though I'm very happy and content with my current integrated, this amp would be near the top of my short list to audition someday. No affiliation.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... =649372239

Oh Lordy the sickness never ends! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:09 pm 

Toby wrote:
Mastersound Evolution 845. Deelicious-sounding 53-kilo space heater. With a remote. :mrgreen:

No idea what it sounds like (aside from your testimony) but it sure looks amazing.

There's some building it looks like from the art-deco 'streamline moderne' era but I can't remember which.