US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Buyers' etiquette
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:26 am 

I've used escrow.com for a few higher $$$ transactions, it's a pretty simple process:

Buyer and Seller agree to terms - Either the Buyer or Seller begins a transaction. After registering at Escrow.com, all parties agree to the terms of the transaction.
Buyer pays Escrow.com - The Buyer submits a payment by approved payment method to our secure Escrow Account, Escrow.com verifies the payment, the Seller is notified that funds have been secured 'In Escrow'.
Seller ships merchandise to Buyer - Upon payment verification, the Seller is authorised to send the merchandise and submit tracking information. Escrow.com verifies that the Buyer receives the merchandise.
Buyer accepts merchandise - The Buyer has a set number of days to inspect the merchandise and the option to accept or reject it. The Buyer accepts the merchandise
Escrow.com pays the Seller - Escrow.com releases funds to the Seller from the Escrow Account.

As always, there are associated fees, usually split by buyer and seller. Might be something to propose to your cautious buyer...

John

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:47 pm 

hifijones wrote:
There were no feedback ratings for members and no real records of the transactions. It was all about TRUSTING your fellow hobbyist; every transaction was worked out via phone or correspondence to a PO Box. And the entire time I was member I never heard of anyone being scammed; I had about a dozen close friends who were members at the time.

Today it seems unfathomable that a buy/sell/barter business model like AudioMart could succeed and flourish like it did. But sad to say it was a very different world back then.

I'll offer a similar experience here. Back in the mid 90s, before it turned into a haven for spammers, scammers, trolls and flamers, I used to buy equipment from listings in rec.audio.marketplace on Usenet, as well as the rec.music.marketplace groups. I had some of my nicest buys from those sellers! All items arrived directly as described. No PayPal, so it was always a money order. Not only that, a couple of the sellers were engaging to "chat" with via email.

No way I would trust anyone there now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:40 am 

Back in the early days of AudioGon it wasn't uncommon for me to ship before payment cleared. My decision was based on the communication with the buyer as well as their feedback. I've also had sellers do the same with me.

I still do this on occasion if the feeling is right.