US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:31 pm 

Just discovered a great program on local terrestrial FM radio that I think is worth sharing. Broadcasting live-streamed every Saturday night from 10:00pm to 1:00am Mountain Time. Classic Rock "Deep Tracks". Hosted by The (good) Doctor. 89.9 MHz.

http://kunm.org/programs/psychedelic-ra ... hoppe-kunm

Check out the playlist from last night: Little Feat, Hot Tuna, Nektar, Bowie, Leon Russell, Mahogany Rush, Velvet Underground, Strawbs, Utopia, Harry Nilsson, Pink Floyd, John Prine and more.

And 'psychedelic' is a bit of a misnomer; there are some tunes of that nature but the majority of the programming is just Classic Rock from the '60s and '70s. It's live every week so no obnoxious repetitions like similar online streaming services. And 100% commercial-free....only the occasional PSA. The host is great about taking requests and actually playing them. I've thrown him 3 obscure curve balls in the past 2 weeks and he played all 3.

FM radio like it used to be! :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:13 am 

Sounds great--congrats on the find. And good on them for the Smithereens tribute.

Quote:
I've thrown him 3 obscure curve balls in the past 2 weeks and he played all 3.
FM radio like it used to be! :)

FM radio was never even that good for me. I remember back when I was a teenager, requesting Bowie's "Beauty and the Beast" on the local 'alternative' FM outlet and the DJ said "Oh I think we'll play 'Rebel Rebel' instead."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:06 pm 

I have many fond memories of FM radio back in the '70s, both commercial and non-commercial stations. Playlists weren't as tight back then and many DJ's would play obscure requests. When I lived in Maryland from '72 to '76 I used to listen to WHFS in Bethesda and at that time it was 100% non-commercial and featured "deep cuts" decades before it became fashionable. Two of the DJ's, Cerf and Damian, personally knew the members of Little Feat and would do fascinating interviews with them when the Feat were on tour and in town, most often playing gigs at Lisner Auditorium in DC.

And Howard University in DC had a fantastic jazz station...WHUR iirc. I built my jazz LP collection back then by listening to those broadcasts for many years.

When I moved to Atlanta in the late '70s I was fortunate enough to have access to 2 of the finest college FM stations in recent memory: Georgia State University's WRAS and Georgia Tech's WREK, both non-commercial and featuring playlists and programs that ran the gamut of nearly every musical genre known to man. And Clark College's WCLK was a jazz giant back then and remains so to this day.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if it wasn't for college radio stations, terrestrial FM radio would be a very grim affair with very few choices. And I am thankful. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:12 am 

FM as a medium is awesome. No subscription fees, better content than a random guess at the record store, and sound quality only limited by the broadcaster and your tuner/antenna setup. Congratulations on finding some righteous classic rock. Here in Seattle we have a "play it until you hate it", once great, now crap, classic rock station, complete with a stupid, obscene morning show. Not to mention the slappy(that's right), compressed signal. Same station that turned me on to Robin Trower, Thin Lizzy, Jethro Tull, and so many others when I was a kid(PinkFloyd,Rush,Jimi Hendrix,Yes...) Thankfully we have great stations in almost every other format, in addition to the stellar Classic King FM at 98.1. They exemplify what every station and format can be. High quality. KNKX 88.5(jazz) KBCS 91.3(various) and a few others I stumble on in the car are doing a good job. We now have an 'urban' station that plays George Benson and other smooth jazz, soul, quiet storm type stuff and some hip hop, Rainier Valley Radio (105.7) I can pick it up in the car sometimes. We also have a return of smooth jazz to the area at 102.9 out of Centralia. If they can dial in their content a bit, they can avoid the stale MUZAK vibe that killed the last one that played this format. That quiet storm,soul, Bob James, Sade, sort of mix is good stuff. Pat Metheny. John Abercrombie. Classic ECM stuff. Uh, Steely Dan? So much is possible. Enjoy!