US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Deadbeat Buyers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:28 pm 

After years of fairly smooth sailing both here and on A'gon, I've run into a new challenge - the deadbeat buyer.

In both cases, the prospective buyer peppered me with questions about specs, features and shipping cost. Once satisfied, each made me an offer which, after some back and forth, was accepted. Both sent me PayPal info and committed to pay that night or the next day. And then - nothing...

When I finally tracked one of them down, he said something about "another amp". Well dang, thanks for telling me! And even more frustrating was, in the middle of each transaction, I was contacted by another interested party whom I told "sale pending" because I'd committed to sell to these time-wasters. And, at least on my end, I try to live up to my word.

Each of these buyers had their own ads here so they know how things work. So fellow sellers, how much latitude do you give a buyer during the course of a sale?

John

Last edited by admin on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
We do not allow feedback or mentioning of specific names in "deadbeat" discussions

Post subject: Re: Deadbeat Buyers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:21 pm 

Well if it's any consolation, (which I know it's not), that same thing has happened to pretty much all of us. I really miss the good old days when people did as they said, but we live in different times now.

Just remember it's not personal and just move on.

I've always wished there could be a separate feedback section for just this very thing. Not sure if it would do any good, but it might be worth a try.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:54 pm 

MrAudio wrote:
I really miss the good old days when people did as they said, but we live in different times now.

Guess that’s unfortunately true. Though I’m not going to change my approach of taking folks at their word - otherwise the bad guys win :wink: ...

John

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:09 am 

I give buyers all of the lattitude that they need. And yes, I had a dead beat buyer last week as well, LOL. No big deal.

It’s part and parcel of dealing on the internet, and it’s not for everyone, that’s why dealers have nice trade ins from time to time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:38 am 

viridian2 wrote:
It’s part and parcel of dealing on the internet, and it’s not for everyone

I've had plenty of buyers kick the tires and say they're really interested before radio silence occurs, no big deal and I agree it's part of the game.

But for a buyer to make an offer, have that offer accepted, give you their shipping info and ask you to send them a PayPal funds request to complete the pending sale - and then ghost you - is some next-level stuff.

I agree with MrAudio, there should be someway to leave feedback for these folks...

John

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:53 am 
Site Admin

Currently we do not allow feedback for deals that don't end up going through on classifieds because there's no formal framework to capture the "agreed intent" short of looking through emails. However, if you wish to have a chance of more solid deals, there are currently 2 options:

1. You can enable Buy It Now, where buyers pay upfront to complete a transaction. (this incurs a closing fee from USAM)
  2. You can initiate an auction, where auction winners make a commitment to buy. Auction winners who don't follow through get automated negative feedback. (this too has fees)

We are considering adding an optional paid "Allow Offers" feature in the future as a 3rd option. This feature would allow sellers to add a new button to the add called "Make an Offer", so that sellers can request or insist that a serious buyer Make an Offer on the ad. Offers would become binding agreements once accepted. It would essentially carry the same % commission concept as Buy It Now and Auctions, and also carry the same negative or neutral feedback consequences. This is an optional feature because some sellers prefer the simple classifieds model, while others like the structured approach of an Offers model.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:16 am 

admin wrote:
We are considering adding an optional paid "Allow Offers" feature in the future as a 3rd option. This feature would allow sellers to add a new button to the add called "Make an Offer", so that sellers can request or insist that a serious buyer Make an Offer on the ad. Offers would become binding agreements once accepted. It would essentially carry the same % commission concept as Buy It Now and Auctions, and also carry the same negative or neutral feedback consequences. This is an optional feature because some sellers prefer the simple classifieds model, while others like the structured approach of an Offers model.

This would be very nice. It makes it very easy for both sides. Accept, Decline or Counteroffer. I do a lot of sales and buys this way.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:28 am 

MrAudio wrote:
This would be very nice. It makes it very easy for both sides. Accept, Decline or Counteroffer. I do a lot of sales and buys this way.

I'd also be in favor of this...

John

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:42 am 

It happens to all of us. I've even had a buyer who asked me to write up an invoice and then refused to give me his phone number because it was "government issued". :lol: After that, I hesitate if things go too smoothly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:12 pm 

Try telling them the item will remain as for sale until payment is received there is no need for delay with PayPal if someone pays before them thats their loss. At least get a down payment to hold item.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:14 am 

johnto wrote:
Try telling them the item will remain as for sale until payment is received there is no need for delay with PayPal if someone pays before them thats their loss. At least get a down payment to hold item.

I totally agree with johnto. That's the way to handle it.

Anything else (like suggested by the site administrator and some others) is getting a little tooooo close to the A'Gon realm of micro-management of your sale to me.

This is the anti-Audiogon site. Remember? Let's not muck it up with complexities that are just stupid.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:42 pm 

My problem with Audiogon is if you receive negative feedback, no matter how ridiculous, you are guilty as charged. No exceptions and no deleting it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:54 pm 

Every ad I place it is pretty much standard language for me to put, no deadbeat buyers, no time wasters, and no craigslist buyers
...and even still you end up with the odd loser. I guess it is a different world nowadays

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:53 pm 

Millennials....