US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:39 pm 

Just wondering if anyone here has gotten good results from using the Cardas speaker setup formula.

http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_calculators.php

My room is smallish at 14 x 10; generally I always use my tried and true method of placing my stand-mounted monitors at least 36-inches from the front wall, several feet from the side walls and then making additional adjustments in small increments as well as making sure that the speakers and listening position form an equilateral triangle.

According to the Cardas calculator, my speakers will have to be moved at least another 12 inches away from the front wall and moved quite a bit closer to each other than the manufacturer recommends but I'm going to try it anyway. I'll report my findings sometime next week.

To be continued....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:42 pm 

Steve, I have used the Cardas method many times. I was a Cardas dealer and George even showed me how to do his method of setup. I found it works very well most of the time. Sure there are exceptions, but I've had great success.

Here is another setup method from a guy I know very well. He owns Soundings in Denver. It works so well that even Sumiko has adopted it as there preferred method.

http://www.soundingshifi.com/masterset/
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=60819.0

Each method has pros and cons. I have found where one works well, the other does not and vice versa. Try each one and see which one works the best. These are the best that I have found.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:31 pm 

OK thanks Brad...much obliged.

I'll try the Cardas first because it's less labor intensive and if I'm dissatisfied I'll give the Master Set a whirl. But before I even move 1 speaker, it's time for 3 consecutive nights of treatment with this:
Attachment:
MDT01041.jpg
MDT01041.jpg [ 42.19 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]

An audiophool's best friend and an indispensable therapy that I revisit about 4 or 5 times a year. Highly recommended.

Just FYI: if you don't think you have an issue with earwax build-up, you're in denial. Not you, Brad...I'm speaking to the USAM community as a whole. Just do it!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:27 pm 

"An audiophool's best friend and an indispensable therapy that I revisit about 4 or 5 times a year. Highly recommended."

Completely agree. I use the same Debrox in my ears a couple of times a year. It's amazing how much better my hearing is following each application. I also highly recommend it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:44 am 

I use the Cardas planar setup calculator. It works very well and I get good measured results. It places the speakers in a location where there is minimal excitation of room modes, so in my case there is one major room mode, but the rest of the response is pretty good. There are locations that will reinforce a particular frequency range, but this one seems to offer the most neutral low frequencies. I also found that having the speakers a bit closer together improved imaging for my Maggies. YMMV as always :)