US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:39 am 

try a different amp..prima luna is commercial grade stuff..check out aric audio(will sound 50x better than prima luna)....the double impacts are way more musical and just a way better audiophile speaker(you can ask eric at tekton to clearly explain the sonic differences between the pendragon and di's) based on design,performance and construction than the pendragons..the pendragons,yes would be better for metal...thats about it....

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:06 am 

it has certainly crossed my mind that the Prima Luna isn't a good match for the DIs - - -it works fine for acoustic music or jazz - - I had seperates in the past and went for a one box 'solution' - - -the belles separates I had previsouly worked better IMO - -

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:10 am 

of course they did! i didnt want to come off rude or anything..you have to be very astute and careful with heavily hyped advertised products...if you look at my amp..look under aric audio..special kt 88..your dealing with an engineer that makes 1 amp at a time from scratch..terry london can use any amp..he uses arics currently..i have had 10 or more tube amps in the last 15 years..its not how much they cost or how much its reviewed etc..its all about design and performance...the only thing with aric and other small guys is you have to take a leap of faith and believe that your intuition is correct..in my case ive been right more often..only because i was wrong so often in the past...experience..my aric audio with a tavish design adagio phono stage, a kiseki purple heart(nottingham analogue hyperspace table) fed into the di's..is pure sonic bliss...and the most expensive item is the kiseki!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:47 am 

Interesting comments. While I normally drive my DI's with Marantz SS gear, I did move my Primaluna Dialgue HP into that system and it performed beautifully. No, it didn't have the low end impact with its octet of el34b's compared to SS but otherwise sounded great.

I really like Aric Audio and the fact you can have your gear "made to order." Very cool. IMO the construction of the PL gear is top notch--the AA gear leaves a bit to be desired. A lot less tidy, don't like to see bare copper wire exposed (oxidation), etc. But when it comes to sound quality, I have no doubt it sounds great. But not quite 50x as great.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:34 pm 

lol..i do tend to exaggerate and yes his gear is far from pretty...i really like your non reactionary responses...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:21 am 

I had the Primaluna Dialogue Premium Integrated with the Electrons and felt it was ok. I much prefer the Lyngdorf 2170 int amp with the Tektons. Not saying the PL is a bad amp. I actually like it quite a bit. I just felt it had too much gain to find comfortable volume levels. I listen at lower listening levels than most people. The presentation of the Electrons and volume control issues ultimately didn't work out for me.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:01 pm 

did u just buy the electrons and not the di's because of size? was there any other factor besides size that u chose the electrons?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:07 am 

@sharethemusic

Yes I bought them mostly because of size. Plus I think they actually look better even though they technically are just a compact version. They don't have the bulky look of the DI's.

Also I needed to consider the height of the main tweeter. The Electron tweeter were a perfect height for me at around 39-40".