US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Altec 604 - 8g
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:45 am 

Altec 604 - 8g (single speaker)

I have ONE perfect Altec 604 8g Speaker ! I would LOVE to find another one ! This was part of a pair that was in use at Sound 80 Studios in Mpls. MN. Many great records were recorded and mixed there, including Bob Dylan's
" Blood on the Tracks " . The speaker & crossover are enclosed in what I'm told is the 620 Cabinet. Weighs 138 Lbs.
It was mentioned that I may need to get 2 new cabinets, since it may be next to impossible to find another matching cabinet ? If for some reason I am unable to find the right parts, reasonably priced, I may need to sell it ? It would break my heart ! I have heard many GREAT reviews relating to these speakers. About 3 years ago I gave up on the higher power SS amps and moved to Vintage tube amps & preamps. If I am lucky enough to find another Altec speaker. My thoughts are to maybe biamp the system using a nice SS amp for the Low freq. and a tube amp for the horn tweeter ?
If anyone has any advice for me, I would appreciate it immensely !!! I just joined US Audio Mart. Not sure if I can leave my contact info here ? THANK YOU FOR READING ! Sincerely, jeffbeat
jr.is@mac.com
651-675-9787

Post subject: Re: Altec 604 - 8g
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:43 am 

Welcome! Jeff to USAM and the Forums.

I'd recommend that you post a WANTED ad for the Altec here in the USAM classifieds. That ad is free.

This ad will also be seen by anyone doing a search for Altec on Canuck Audio Mart.
And you should set up a Saved Search on ebay for the 604-8G. ebay is probably your best bet to source a single speaker.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:11 am 

Great Plains Audio are the mavens for these. I am sure that they can supply you with another driver.

https://greatplainsaudio.com/

Most Altec co-ax speakers ended up in home made cabinets. It’s probably less expensive to just have a couple of cabinets made for you in the appropriate dimensions. And you would be guaranteed a matching pair. No shipping of 130 pound cabinets that are 50 years old either, with the cost and likelihood of damage.

When you are speaking with GPA you might ask them for some cabinet plans as well. Great folks. Good luck.

And now a personal opinion. IMHO stereo sucks. I would just put together a fantastic mono system with the one driver and enclosure that I had and forget the whole over rated stereo mishagash.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:23 am 

I run a pair of 604e speakers in huge homemade cabinets that kicked an expensive pair of tannoys to the curb. Are use a pair of super tweeters on top so I can dial back the horn slightly and I run a Dahlquist crossover and a pair of subs with a cheap Sumo Polaris amp.
Love it!
Try gpa as a previous poster suggested and keep an eye on eBay.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:24 pm 

Wonder what happened to the second 604-8G from that Minneapolis studio: I'm pretty sure Dylan didn't record "Blood on the Tracks" in mono!

Great Plains Audio are indeed the experts on all things Altec, but I don't think they could supply you with a 604-8G—unless they just happened to know of another customer who had a single. But they could recharge those old Alnico magnets if that were required, and few places can do that.

Single 604Es come up from time to time, because they were manufactured near the tail-end of the mono era, but by the time 604-8G came along, stereo had long since displaced mono.

It might also be worthwhile posting a notice on the Lansing Heritage website as well as in the "High Efficiency Speaker" section of the Audio Asylum website.

Another option would be to buy a pair of 604-8Gs, which do come up on eBay from time to time. Then you'd have a spare! My point here is that you'd have a much better chance of getting a pair than getting a single. In either case, patience would be required!

Beyond that, you could always buy a pair of new GPA 604s, which they'll tell you preserve all the desirable qualities of the classic 604s while amending their shortcomings. That's not entirely true, since with its very low Fs, the woofer in the 604-8G performs better in the LF than the GPA models, but the newer horn designs do provide a considerably flatter frequency response in upper mids and highs.

Whatever pair of speakers you end up with, in the case of the 620 cabinet, the fact is we make much better cabinets these days, and it would be simple enough to build, or have built, a new pair to exactly the same specifications using superior materials and bracing. Plans for the 620 cabinet are available on the Lansing Heritage website as well, I'm sure, elsewhere on the Net.

In any case, welcome to the wonderful—and at times frustrating—world of coaxials!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:28 pm 

Thanks for all responses! I have learned a lot.
I will have to be patient obviously, and if I’m to
Eventually get a pair of these, it looks like I will need
To build 2 cabinets. Most likely will Biamp the drivers ?
If I can find another matching coax speaker and build a pair
Of cabinets, I should be in good shape ! The large enclosures
Will extend the low end apparently? I’m curious about adding a
passive radiator instead of a port ? Maybe better not to mess
with a great design, but I love the flat bass that I hear from
passive radiators ? Or might it be best to build a pair of subs,
Maybe using a 12 or 2 10’s with the radiator. I know low freq.
are somewhat non directional. But my work in recording studios
Has taught me that Low end isn’t usually mixed mono . Unless it’s being mixed for 5.1 ?
I always prefer 2 sub enclosures .
Thanks to Joe for hipping me to improving the
Strength of the magnets ! Sorry I have not responded
To each person that has weighed in on this !
I appreciate all advice !!!
Sincerely, jeffbeat