US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: amp for magnepan 1.7
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:13 pm 

Haven't seen anyone suggest PS Audio yet. Those amps just seem to thrive on difficult loads. Just great sounding stuff, and can sometimes be found for quite good price/value.

If you could get your hands on an older Aragon amp (such as a 4004 or 8008), boy, that would take care of business. I speak from experience, using those on various planar speakers (stats, magnetics, ribbons, etc)- they just do a great job.

Regards,
Gordon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:45 am 

Use a Sandersound Magtech. Designed for Maggies but works well with anything.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:39 am 

I've owned 3 pairs of Maggies over the last 10 years. Best amps in my system were the Rogue Sphinx Hybrid (doubles down into 4 ohms) and a Wyred4Sound integrated. Both made great music to my ears....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:36 am 

GordonW wrote:
Haven't seen anyone suggest PS Audio yet. Those amps just seem to thrive on difficult loads. Just great sounding stuff, and can sometimes be found for quite good price/value.

If you could get your hands on an older Aragon amp (such as a 4004 or 8008), boy, that would take care of business. I speak from experience, using those on various planar speakers (stats, magnetics, ribbons, etc)- they just do a great job.

Regards,
Gordon.

The Aragons sound especially good if they are brought up to snuff by replacing capacitors and some other parts. They are old. However, the Magtech is still better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:58 am 

For the 1.7 maggies I have been using a Bryston 6bsst2, same as the 4bsst but is a 3 channel. Magnepan ,the company, uses a lot of Bryston amps at shows and events to display their speakers. I had 2 other amps, a sunfire cinema grand and a B&K and they didn't light up those Maggies as the bryston!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:52 am 

Simply a natural synergy between Bryston and Magnepan.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:25 am 

I drive my Maggie 1.7i's with my Carver m1.0t. I have never had any issues before the 1.7i's I had the MG2B's. No issues there either.
Enjoy! It's about the music!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:52 pm 

Running 1.6's for years now, after owning a dozen high end super monitors (Harbeth, Reference 3a Royal Masters), and big floor standers like the Rives/Talon Firebirds. In a smaller room with high ceilings the Maggies are hard to beat. Have tried many amps and the Maggies really respond to class A ss. The class A, ideally A/AB with high output have a sweetness and imaging that mtahes the best of tube amps, but with bass depth and control.

Current favorites dual Pathos Classic One Mk2's run in mono block mode. These are tube hybrids with class A/AB baising. As monos they put out 270 watts per channel. So dynamics and bass control and cavernous depth are excellent. But that class A sweetness and holographic imaging are the standout features. Read the Dagogo review.

Maggies are very sensitive to the speaker cables. My favorites are the Tellurium Q Ultra Blacks.

Top quaility source is absolutely critical to getting the best out of the Maggies.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:43 pm 

I have PS Audio's new Stellar m700 class D mono's powering the 1.7i, amazing once broke-in (30hrs), probably don't need 700 watts per channel, these amps will drive to a very high volume with virtually no distortion, and will drive down to 2 ohms, I highly recommend them. Stereophile has a review on them, check it out.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/ps- ... -amplifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:28 am 

I have Maggie 1.7's. I use a Denon POA 2800 200w per channel when it's hot out side or summertime. I use a pair of Dyna MK III's modified with 4 EL34's and 2 Octal input tubes 6SL7 and 6SN7 1 each. They put out 72 watts per channel and the Maggies sound wonderful. I also have a pair of filters that rolls the bass of my maggies and then my 2 Dali Suite Acoustic Suspension Subs take over and they blend in my room and system pretty well. I have no complaints. My room is 13' x 14' with 14' vaulted ceilings. My system is Van Alstine Super PAS 3i modified by Tom Tutay. My phono stage is a Jolida J9 modified by Tom also. My digital is an Early Oppo and a Scott Nixon Tube Dac. I'm very happy with that combo. My front end analog rig is a VPI Scout Prime table with a Grado Sig. Reference 2 LO cartridge. At this time I'm happy but always looking for a power amp with more finesse. I don't listen very loudly to anything. I just try to hear everything. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:06 am 

GordonW wrote:

Regards,
Gordon.

I'm running the newer Indy Labs ARAGON 8008 with my .7s and it is magical. I purchased the 8008 because I have 3.7i (s) on the way from Magnepan in a week or so. I'm hoping the 8008 does as well for the bigger speakers as it does for the .7s.

J R

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:42 am 

I would say any Audio Research , They are made in the same area in Minnesota and seemed to be voiced for each other IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:52 pm 

Thanks for all the great responses.Have since moved to 3.7i with the Hint but thinking of Bryston or Pass.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:15 pm 

McCormack DNA 250 or DNA 500. Just great sounding amps with plenty of slam and delicateness and detail throughout. If you find one with upgrades from Steve McCormack, that would be my choice. I also had a Bryston 9bst which was nice, but not nearly as nice as the McCormacks. I cannot speak for the other Bryston models since I have never had them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:16 pm 

johnto wrote:
Thanks for all the great responses.Have since moved to 3.7i with the Hint but thinking of Bryston or Pass.

Congrats. And don't be afraid to experiment. I've used several different amps with mine and they all delivered slightly different results but all were quite listenable--enjoyable I should say. None failed the "Maggie Test".