US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:31 am 

Hi All - I am new to US Audio Mart and looking for advice on a seller, his listing, and our correspondence. Here is the situation: I am searching for a nice clean Mcintosh C1000 triple setup and watch several sites for postings. A new posting came up on US Audio Mart for exactly what I was looking for. The seller was Audiogear88 and the listing number is 649324643. the url is http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6493 ... worldwide/

In the listing the seller Audiogear88 describes what is for sale and provides the various payments accepted. These include Cash, Paypal, Cheque, Money Order, Money Wire, Interac/EMT. In the body of the listing he also adds that for PayPal you add 3% for fees. His PayPal shows up as confirmed which made me feel comfortable with payment via PayPal even though it adds to my cost. The seller has feedback of 47 on US Audio Mart. He also provided his Ebay seller name 'audiogear88' that has 542 feedback at 100% positive. In Ebay he has a mix of listings some of which are high end audio but the Macintosh C1000 setup is not one of them. We negotiated and agreed upon a price of $14,500 plus shipping. I might add that he did state that he would not be selling the units but that he needs the money. He also asked me to tell him about what is in my system as he is always interested in picking up additional components to his current system. This seemed odd to me because if you need the money why are you still looking for things to buy. He then tells me to send two checks for the total so that the value of each check is below $10,000. I reply that I had plans of payment thru PayPal. Which he responds that he does not take PayPal. I asked why now because his listing says that he does. He says that it is automatically put it in his listing from his user profile. I replied that I dont see why he would not take PayPal if I am paying for the PayPal fees - I wasn't sure what the downside would be for the seller if I absorb the cost of using PayPal. His response was short - I simply do not take PayPal as the sale may hit taxable income. So now that I am getting all these different/inconsistent responses and I don't feel comfortable at all - I backed out of the sale. My correspondence with Jason Tran (AKA Hiep Tran) is below. Putting this out there as a heads up and/or information for others to digest and provide any comment or advice. IMHO, buyers need to protect themselves. If a Seller says that a buyer should trust them and send them cash/check merely because they have a positive profile on Ebay, Audiogon, or US Audio Mart - this is a red flag. That would be akin to a buyer saying, trust in me and send me your gear and after I receive it I will send you the money. Not to mention, that positive feedback earlier in the year does not mean that you have not taken a turn for the worse in your current situation - no one wants to be the first to be screwed over (ponzi scheme). Therefore, I am thinking that payment thru PayPal combined with positive feedback on both sides is a good indication that things will likely go smooth for both parties. There is risk but much less to both sides. Risk should never be one sided and sending cash is totally one sided. Its important to remember that you are sending thousands of dollars to a stranger that you have never met - even if he says that he would never screw someone over for a mere $1,000, 2,000, 3,000 , etc. I had one seller say to me that he would never think of ruining his Audiogon reputation for a mere $7,500. That was how he justified to me that I should send him a bank cashiers check. All food for thought for those buyers out there.

On Mar 6, 2018, at 11:55 AM, Jason <2004jason@gmail.com> wrote:
I simply do not accept as the sale may hit the taxable income at the end of the year.

Thanks,
Jason

On Mar 6, 2018, at 05:55, Will <> wrote:
Hi Jason, I think I understand what you are saying. Your listing shows that you accept PayPal and you are saying that it is in your listing because it was part of your sellers profile and is automatically populated when you create a new listing. When I signed up for audio mart I noticed that it did ask for the payment types accepted from buyers. However, in your listing I did notice that in the description body it further stated that the buyer using PayPal would have to pay the PayPal fees. That statement is not auto populated by the sellers profile. Why did you not include a statement that you do not accept PayPal for this listing? Makes me wonder what else is also not applicable in the listing as this is what I have to go by. Is there anything else that is not applicable to this listing?

Also, please help me understand why you do not accept PayPal for this item if I am paying for the PayPal fees. There is no cost to you. I am naive to selling on audio mart so I am not sure what would drive the decision on your end not to take PayPal if the buyer is paying the fees. Can you please help me understand? That would be helpful.

Many thanks,

~Will

Sent from my iPhone X

On Mar 6, 2018, at 2:20 AM, Jason <2004jason@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Will,
Classified ads on Audiomart cannot be individually selected payment types, which is preset in the user profile. I do not accept PayPal on high price items. I accept check, cashier check, or wire transfer.
Thanks,
Jason

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 7:42 AM, Will <> wrote:
Hi Jason. I must have misunderstood your listing. It says that you accept PayPal. Why the change?

~Will

Sent from my iPhone X

On Mar 5, 2018, at 10:30 AM, Jason Tran <2004jason@gmail.com> wrote:
Will,

I’m sorry that I do not take PayPal.

Regards,
Jason

On Mar 4, 2018, at 18:14, Will <> wrote:
Hi Jason - many thanks. Was going to pay you via paypal so you can get them shipped quickly. Do you have a reduced paypal rate as a dealer? Let me know what the total needs to be for me to send you a paypal payment directly so you can ship these quickly.

many thanks,

~Will

On Mar 4, 2018, at 5:09 PM, Jason <2004jason@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Will,

My legal name is HIEP TRAN, but I go by Jason in the audio community and on USAudioMart. Below is my address:

Hiep Tran
4395 Malana Way
Rancho Cordova, CA 95742

Given the amount greater than $10,000, please send two separate personal checks / cashier checks. The total amount will be $14,500 + 360 = $14,860. I suggest to send two separate amounts of $8,000 and $6,860. My bank typically clears checks within 1 business day.

Once you send the funds, please send me your address and phone number for shipping labels.

Best,
Jason
916-225-5868

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 1:29 PM, Will <> wrote:
Hi Jason - please provide me with your full name and address.

many thanks,

~Will

On Mar 4, 2018, at 1:41 PM, Jason Tran <2004jason@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Will,

Okay, $14,500 you got it.

Jason

On Mar 4, 2018, at 09:05, Will <> wrote:
Hi Jason, would love to make this happen for $14,500.

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 3, 2018, at 10:19 AM, Jason <2004jason@gmail.com> wrote:
Will,
There are two postings on eBay from user sas_dle who is asking $16,500 and 18,000 for only a two-unit set for the Solid State and Tube, respectively. I think my offer is reasonably fair, what I can do is to drop $1,000, for a $15,500 deal + shipping.
I have this set of preamp and a Conrad Johnson GAT, in which I do not like to sell either, but I have to. I can't keep both.
Best,
Jason

On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 6:50 AM, Will <> wrote:
Hi Jason, many thanks. Let me think about this today. I am looking for a 3-part system c1000 that is in new condition. Several have sold in the ~14-15k range. I see another dealer has a set on EBAY at a unreasonable price of 21k which will never sell at that price. Your price is much better but still slightly high. Do you have wiggle room in your price? I am looking to pay ~14k.

~Will

Sent from my iPhone X

On Mar 3, 2018, at 8:41 AM, Jason <2004jason@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Will,
I am not the original owner; however, the tube unit was opened by me as a new sealed unit. The original owner used the solid state unit only, that's why the tube section remained new. I can take more pictures if you decide to proceed further with the purchase. I have additional pictures showing they are in original boxes.
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:57 pm 

What was the final outcome