US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Legacy Audio Focus SE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:10 am 

OMG, I finally was able to get my hands on a set of Focus SE's and I've got to tell you they are fantastic. They have a powerful yet tight bass, with mids that are smooth as butter, and highs that are crystal clear. If you have never listen to Legacy speakers then you are really missing out.

I'm currently driving these Legacy with a Marantz 2500 that has been totally rebuilt from the frame up, and it handles the job with no effort at all... I was a little worried about having a receiver handling a 4 ohm load, but the big Marantz does it with no problem.

Anyway, long story short, I couldn't be happier with the Focus SE (I love the Rosewood finish).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:46 pm 

I've owned a pair of Signature III's for 15 years and still love them, they were the model down from thr Focus. Sound is still great after all these years.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:38 pm 

Congrats CB5300. Did you get that recent pair from IL? I tried but was too late ;)

I had the older model Focus 2020, loved them. Stupidly sold them to find "more detail." Now looking to get back to Legacy again. They will only grow on you more as you realize how capable they are.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:51 pm 

richidoo wrote:
Congrats CB5300. Did you get that recent pair from IL? I tried but was too late ;)

I had the older model Focus 2020, loved them. Stupidly sold them to find "more detail." Now looking to get back to Legacy again. They will only grow on you more as you realize how capable they are.

No, these came out of New York, they were only 3 months old and the original owner had decided to upgrade to the Aeris. I was very lucky to be in the right spot at the right time. The Focus SE's are truly an outstanding speaker and worth every penny.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:32 am 

Welcome to the Legacy "family". I have owned my SE's with the Air Motion Tweeters for about 3 years now. Upgraded from the regular Focus. Now contemplating sending them back to factory for the XD upgrade with room correction processor. We'll see how the budget goes.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:42 am 

I thought about adding the room correction processor, and I may still do it. I think (and the guys at Legacy do also) that would bring the Focus performance closer to the Aeris. One day (hopefully in the not to distance future) I'll have a pair of Aeris.

What really amazes me is that there are not more people talking about the Legacy brand. They are truly an outstanding speaker.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:23 pm 

I used to have the first version of the Focus SE and it was by far the best speaker I have ever owned. I was a major league idiot to have sold them. They were paired up with a Modwright KWI 200 integrated. An absolutely killer combination! Enjoy those new speakers!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:55 pm 

I have the legacy Focus and the legacy convergence and oem original AR-9 With the 12 inch dual side firirng woofers,, all 3 sound great legacy really makes good xovers with great cabinets and uses very good drivers ,,,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:27 am 

I thought I would come back and give an update to my Legacy post. After 3 months of ownership I can honestly say that the Focus SE's are one of the best all around speaker I have ever owned. From smooth jazz, to rock and roll, the Focus SE's will perform with out a hitch. The fit and finish are excellent and will complement any room, no wife issues here.

I went to Capital Autofest this month looking to see what was available in a book shelf speaker. Once again Legacy Audio came thru. Their Studio HD speaker was unbelievable. For a speaker this small, to sound so big, really caught me by surprise. So much so that I bought a pair (in rosewood of course). The set will be part of the system I am currently building for the master bedroom.

I want to say again, that if you haven't listen to a Legacy Audio then go do so. You will not be disappointed, the guys at Legacy have truly developed world speakers that deserves your attention.

Last edited by cb5300 on Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:26 pm 

Yeah, currently getting the bug to upgrade my Legacy Signature IIs, which date back to the 1990's. Don't get me wrong, they still sound pretty good, and when I go to the audio shops and listen to many comparably priced Revel/Dynaudio/Focal/Sonus Faber/B&W, it's hard to plunk down that much money when I'd be losing about an octave of bass extension. The thing is, I just have a family room system, and it has to do joint duty as a music and home theater system, so the speakers have to be capable of both the dynamics and finesse for both. From what I've seen, the Legacys are possibly top of the ladder for a "jack of all trades" type of speaker.

Driver technology has just advanced so much now, and I'd like to get into the AMT tweeter and mid, as well as the Rohacell mid-woofer and better crossovers than they used to have. I'm trying to decide between: new Signature SE, Focus SE, Aeris. Yes, the Aeris is big $$$, but the reviews are just so dang stellar. And at my age, I'm running out of good years in which to be able to enjoy audio hobby. I'd also like to pick up a Marquis center channel.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:03 pm 

I currently have the Focus 20/20's and would like to upgrade to the SE's at some point. Is there anyone here that has had both of these speakers that could let me know your impressions? I guess I'm wondering if the performance differential is great enough to justify the additional cost. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:55 am 

Falconquest wrote:
I currently have the Focus 20/20's and would like to upgrade to the SE's at some point. Is there anyone here that has had both of these speakers that could let me know your impressions? I guess I'm wondering if the performance differential is great enough to justify the additional cost. Thanks!

When I started looking for the Legacy speakers, I of course, started looking for good used ones that I hope could be had at a good price. I spend a lot of time on the phone talking to the guys at Legacy, and after all was said and done I decided that there was enough difference to warrant buying new. The new AMT tweeter is one of the things that pushed me toward the new version of the Focus.

Are you near a Legacy dealer? If so, see if you can work a deal on a demo pair. Sometimes you can get a really sweet deal that way.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:58 pm 

This Legacy stuff can get habit forming :lol: Back in July Martha and I were looking for a set of bookshelf speakers for our bedroom. We went to Capital Fest and spent some time with Bill from Legacy. We then spent 2 days listening to everything there. Saturday evening after the show was winding down for the day we went back to the Legacy room to spend some time with the Studio HD's. Bill had arrange a little show for us with Brice and we spent the better part of a half hour just soaking up the Studio HD's. After about 20 minutes Martha leaned over and told me that "these are the ones that I want"., and as every one knows when the boss says buy, you buy... :lol:

I will say that if you sit there with your eyes closed and just listen, the Studio's will fool you. They play so "big". I swear that I must be listening to a mid-tower speaker or something and not a bookshelf... Now they're not Focus SE's or Aeris by any stretch, but if you are limited by space or budget, then you could do a LOT WORST then picking up a pair of Studio HD's.

Now this is speaking from experience, I would take the Studio HD's over the Klipsch RF-7II any day. The Legacy retired my Klips to the store room at work. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:27 pm 

I completely agree--I've heard the Legacy speakers in multiple settings and am looking forward to taking some Focus SE with the Wavelet home. I'll biamp them with a nice tube amp for the tweeter/mids and something solid state for the woofers.

Also wanted to note that, although I don't own their speakers yet, Legacy was exceedingly helpful with answering my questions.

For my desktop system, I'm currently running a DEQX through 3 separate outboard DACs and active biamping a pair of crossover-less Lipinsky 707 studio monitors along with dual subs. Let me tell you, there is no substitute for DSP and active speakers! However, this is an incredibly complex implementation that I spent countless hours on--the Legacy package appears to simplify implementation dramatically even if a dealer doesn't do it for you.

Legacy deserves a lot more attention. Maybe if they raised their prices into the stratosphere they'd get more respect.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:30 am 

Rfj1862 wrote:
Legacy deserves a lot more attention. Maybe if they raised their prices into the stratosphere they'd get more respect.

And therein lies the strange dichotomy of high-end audio. In many instances if a given component is reasonably priced (that is, relatively reasonable by high-end standards...) many people will tend to ignore it without even giving it a look or a listen. High price = high quality? Yes, perhaps more often than not. But not always. Not in my experience. In the past 35 years I've heard mega-buck systems that have left me cold and shaking my head.

The purveyors of audiophilia have done a pretty good job of bamboozling and baffling us with bullsh*t over the past several decades. That's why audio forums are so important: they help us cut through the haze of outrageous hype and phoney-baloney claims made by so many manufacturers and professional reviewers. Forums allow us to sift through and distill real-world listening experiences by real-world audio hobbyists.