US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: shipping calculator
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:45 pm 

I sold an amp that had to be shipped from 34952 to 94589 zip code. Per your shipping estimate link, the UPS ground estimate for 10.2 KG was $31.54 (and similar with FedEx ground at $31.31.
When I brought to UPS, I discovered the cheapest ground with their free $100 declared value was $50.02!!!!
I noticed when I placed 22.5, the weight in pounds it calculated to $54.12 - a much more accurate estimate, but there is no provision to change your shipping estimate calculator from KG to lbs.
I got stuck with the $18.00 difference.. Am I missing something?

Post subject: Re: shipping calculator
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:42 pm 

I NEVER use any shipping calculator other than the one provided by the shipper.

FEDEX, UPS & USPS all have very easy to use calculators on their websites that don't require you to actually ship the item. You can get an estimate only.

Might take a few extra minutes, but it's well worth it.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:12 pm 

Thank you for reporting.

We found that our shipping calculator of UPS shipping was based on daily pickup rate. We have updated the calculator to use customer counter drop off rate, which would match the result on the UPS site.

We now provide toggle between the shipping weight and dimension units.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

We're sorry to hear about the estimate being so far off in your case. I just wanted to clear a few things up.

The shipping calculator on CAM/USAM is intended to help estimate shipping costs. We do not suggest you rely on it when quoting. However, the shipping calculator we use is not guessing at prices - it sends the actual data you submit straight to the official Fedex and UPS API systems and those return an actual estimate straight from the same database that would be used when you get a quote on ups.com or fedex.com. The difference being that maybe their software takes a few default criteria into consideration that our estimator may not. In this case we found out that UPS has a different rate depending on whether you indicate how the item is picked up for delivery.

So right now, the shipping calculator was adjusted to match what the UPS site would quote, which is still ~$2 less than what you ended up paying.

Shipping in general involves so many factors that even a quote straight on the Fedex.com site might not be 100% accurate when you arrive at the store (this has happened to me many times). I think our shipping estimator is very good at estimating the price as given by UPS/Fedex/USPS, but at the end of the day the rates might vary when you actually get to the store or when their pickup truck arrives.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:37 pm 

MrAudio wrote:
I NEVER use any shipping calculator other than the one provided by the shipper.

FEDEX, UPS & USPS all have very easy to use calculators on their websites that don't require you to actually ship the item. You can get an estimate only.

Might take a few extra minutes, but it's well worth it.

+1

Yep. Good advice. Play it safe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:37 pm 

Just was burned by the shipping calculator for $25, $23 raised to $48, then insurance for $5.

Lesson learned.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks to information from wagner004 we've made some slight improvements to the calculator:

• The calculator should be better able to estimate prices, however, we've found out from Fedex that the price they quote us might be different than the retail price you get when you do the actual shipment. There's nothing we can do about this because our account may simply be quoted different prices than you are.
  • We've added an insurance field to help calculate the effect of insurance on the cost. This insurance value only appears to affect Fedex rates that we get quoted so I'm unclear whether USPS and UPS are bugged.
  • As always, we recommend you go straight to the Fedex, UPS, or USPS sites to confirm pricing and only use our calculator to get ballpark figures.