US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Vintage speaker choice
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:46 pm 

I've recently received a bonus at work of around $2K and would like to improve upon my vintage set-up. I'm currently running a re-capped Marantz 2240 through a B&K 202, and out to a nice set of Snell CIIIs. I was considering the purchase of a set of Klipsch Cornwall or Heresy, Pioneer HPM 150s, JbL 44xx etc. I was also considering skipping the speakers and looking for a McIntosh tuner and amp, as I don't know that I'd be gaining anything with different speakers.

I'm not an audiophile by any means and 20 years in the Air Force has done a number several octaves of my hearing. I primarily listen to 70s and 90s rock. Any thoughts? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:08 pm 

Hi Todd and Welcome! to USAM and the forums.

Sorry to say that I can't be of much help here but I'm confident that the HPM-150s' would be a big step down from the Snells'. If possible try to hold onto the C/IIIs' in order to compare and contrast them to the evolving flavor-of-the-month of speakers that will grace your listening room in the near-future.

The Pioneers' don't belong in the same sentence as the others you mentioned. Imho, they're a vintage model that hasn't aged particularly well. I always recommend the Yamaha NS-1000 as a very tuneful and capable rock 'n roll speaker. A nice restored pair won't be cheap but they will always hold their value going forward.

Just my dos centavos....Have fun! :)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:30 am 

hifijones,

Thank you, it's good to be here.

I am in good company, as we all get the "itch" now and again. Yes, there is definitely the passage of time to consider, as you've mentioned, some speakers don't age well. I bought a cherry set of Klipsch KG4 speakers and after a Crites tweeter and crossovers and they sounded better than when they were new, but hand-build speakers have a firm foundation. Conversely, I was recently waxing nostalgic and purchased a pair of Mach 1s for $25 and even with the VL mods they still sounded tired and muddy.

I appreciate your insight and the Yamaha NS-1000 suggestion; I was looking at a pair online yesterday.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:23 am 

I have a McIntosh MR85 for sale that is in mint condition if you decide to go that way. Best tuner I have ever owned, and I have owned many. It is just too deep for my new cabinet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:56 am 

BUMP, With your hearing loss I would expect recommendations would be meaningless. I know several models that were ahead of the curve but a flat response that a lot of us find appealing would probably sound lifeless and dull to you. Klipsch with horn loaded drivers sounded a bit too immediate for me may punch your ticket, early gen focal 1st gen be tweeter got some press for being a little hot may sound smooth as silk to you. Try and shop locally so you can listen to what you're looking to buy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:24 am 

Ivor at Linn was right: upgrades to ones source make the biggest bang for your buck by far. Thus if your source [and its support] is fine, next consider a change of preamp, then amp, or integrated, eg the Fisher 500c [the 500c is one the greatest values in high end audio]. If the speakers are decent, that is the last place to upgrade.