US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:50 am 

Hi hoping for some advice on how to upgrade my system hardwear for better 2 channel audio.

I have oppo 105, brio r, epos 11 speakers.

If I was spending $2k what would you do?

New speakers, amp or both? Any tips on what upgrades would be? Saw used pair tannoy tx6 for $1k.

Thanks
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:03 am 

I would personally recommend that you look at electronics, rather than new speakers. Most people totally neglect the electronics and go for expensive speakers and then only get about 40% of what the speakers are capable of.

I don't have any equipment for sale, so these suggestions are not self serving:
First, I recommend looking for a good preamp. Unfortunately, good ones are extremely expensive. The Jeff Rowland Consummate is better than any new preamp under $4000 (The Rowland sold for about $6800 new and can usually found for about $1000 used). I also recommend the Ayre Acoustics K5xeMP. However, this would probably take your whole budget. Also the Parasound by John Curl or a really old Mark Levinson designed by John Curl might do the trick.

All of these are fully balanced and I believe that your CD player has balanced outputs (use them!).

Are your speakers near the back wall? If so, move them out into the room (even if only for listening). That is free and would help improve your sound. Make sure the tweeter's height is correct (most speakers are designed to have the tweeter at ear level, slightly above ear level, or slightly below ear level). Having the speakers set up properly drastically improves the sound quality and usually doesn't cost much, if anything.

I do not recommend expensive cables. That being said, don't use the really cheap ones either. Try to only use balanced cables (XLR connectors). The cheapest Cardas cables purchased used won't cost too much.

Hope this helps. Happy listening.

-Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:10 am 

Chris thanks for the reply and info. Appreciate the help. I'll research the recos, sound interesting. My speakers are on the correct stands but somewhat close to wall so I'll experiment there.

Thanks again
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:32 am 

I would check out the new Belles Aria integrated amp. It's 75 watts per channel and sounds incredible for the price. The power amplifier is a discrete, fully-complimentary design utilizing mosfet transistor output stages. Price is $1999 and includes a discrete headphone amp as well. Discrete headphone amps are usually $500 and up. I spent three days with this amp and was very impressed with it's performance. The last guy recommended separates but with your budget forget separates.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:48 am 

Don't mess with the speakers (yet)... you already have a decent speaker. The amp and source will make a significant difference. Also, try Clear Day cables... wow.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:30 am 

Decent Preamp and Amp...... starter routine.... speakers later, when you have major coin... ,, lots here right on CAM... have to be careful of what you say as "big Brother" will shut you out...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:17 am 

I would recommend doing some room treatments before upgrading anything.

I was a skeptic myself until fairly recently. I spent about $75 on some DIY acoustic panels (4).

The improvement shocked me. I was not expecting such a dramatic improvement in the sound of my system.

As the Monkeys once sang "Now I'm a believer!" :lol:

FWIW, my system consists of:

Amp: Soundcraftsmen PCR-800 monoblocks
Pre: Doge 8 (Siemens ECC801S/Mazda ECC83 tubes)
Turntable: Roksan Xerxes (RB300/London Decca Super Gold)
CD/SACD: Esoteric DV-50S
DAC: Teac UD-501
Digital: Asus VivoPC/JRiver MC21
Speakers: Martin Logan Spires

Last edited by NordicNorm on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:38 am 

Thanks all appreciate the advice.

I have some listening to do!

Will also check out the room upgrades.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:36 am 
Premium User

Your speakers are the most important.
The placement of your speakers comes next. (Pull them out into the room more. Put a carpet on that tile floor. Hang some curtains over all those beautiful windows.)
Where you sit is third most important. (Try sitting closer.)
The media you listen to comes next. (Over the years, lots of poorly engineered LPs and CDs have been made. LOTS!)
Your input source (cd player or turntable, especially your cartridge) is next in importance.
Your amp and preamp are necessary (obviously) but of not too much importance.
And for heavens sakes, don't spend a lot of money on fancy cables, especially power cords.
At least that's what I think. Others will disagree.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:27 am 

Speaker interaction with the room is one of the most important aspects for getting good sound. Unfortunately, it's also one of the most overlooked aspects. Proper speaker placement costs nothing, so check this first. Room treatment, whether DIY or purchased, is very inexpensive when considering the sonic upgrade it can provide.

Forget spending money on new stuff until you get the room right. Good luck.