US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: for sale adds
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:25 pm 

Im new to US Audio mart. Have been real disappointed at how few photos and limited descriptions sellers are posting. Some times on speakers more than just grill photo and side profile isn't enough and with amps and preamps rear photos can tell you more than just front photos.........some seem to be photos off the net of new equipment and not actual piece for sale.......Also im here to buy parts and damaged stuff that can be rebuilt....ie jbl 2405 horns and phase plugs,knobs like crown d75 series 2...but thanks for another selling site.

Post subject: Re: for sale adds
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:39 pm 

Welcome! to USAM and the forums.

Although I completely understand your frustration, in my experience i.e. the majority of ads' that get my attention on a daily basis have plenty of pics and most include enough info in the text so that I'm able to make a informed decision as to whether I want to contact the seller or not.

But obviously not all sellers are that thorough so it's hit 'n miss across the classified ad spectrum. What bugs me the most is when a seller lists an item and posts several stock photos instead of pics of the actual item. Generally they'll say that actual photos of the item are "on the way" but in many instances the ad languishes for weeks without any new pics and it's especially frustrating if it's an item that I'm interested in. But whattya gonna do.

If there's any consolation it's that USAM makes it very easy for buyers & sellers to communicate. I've never had to wait longer than a few hours at the most to hear back from any of the sellers that I've done business with here. Can't say the same thing for other buying & selling sites...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:26 am 

USAM requires a minimum of two photos for most ads (especially from new users). These photos cannot be "stock images" borrowed from another web source. If you see someone poaching photos from somewhere else, let us know by Reporting a Problem with the ad (you can find the reporting link above the item number in the upper right part of the ad).

As HiFiJones already mentioned, you can always ask the seller for additional photos if their ad does not include enough.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:21 pm 

cotie1893 wrote:
Im new to US Audio mart. Have been real disappointed at how few photos and limited descriptions sellers are posting. Some times on speakers more than just grill photo and side profile isn't enough and with amps and preamps rear photos can tell you more than just front photos.........some seem to be photos off the net of new equipment and not actual piece for sale.......Also im here to buy parts and damaged stuff that can be rebuilt....ie jbl 2405 horns and phase plugs,knobs like crown d75 series 2...but thanks for another selling site.

I'm often frustrated by equipment listed which is accompanied by two or three photos where the basement background is well-lit and in excellent focus, but the image of the equipment itself is so blurry or dark it appears like photos of Sasquatch or of informants from totalitarian governments whose identities must be concealed in silhouette while giving testimony.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:38 am 

And I am even more frustrated when a seller says this: "If you are looking at this ad then you already know all about this"...Uh, no. I read to educate myself and perhaps I do not know a darn thing about whatever you are selling and I am looking at the ad to educate myself, and perhaps see if it is something I can use.
Prosecution rests, Your Honor...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:29 pm 

Come on guys! So what do you want, a five page report of the items stats, twenty pictures from all different angles? When things are listed for sale, a brief description is all that is warranted. if you are interested, then it is up to you to do your homework. With all the info on the web, you can look something up in about 3 seconds and get specs, info, pictures and most importantly, reviews. Why would it bother you if we don't post all the info you want, we are not professional manufacturers, we are just a bunch or audiophiles selling stuff. If you like what you see, then look into it. Pretty freakin easy! The one guy said it bothers him when people say, "if your looking at this, then you know what it is, or something to that effect" Your obviously interested in it because you clicked on it? So what, we are all suppose take an hour to make an ad filled with all kinds of info so you can just get educated? If some people put that in their ads then thats fine if they want to, but why would you make this a forum issue. Better watch it, this will become like audiogon pretty soon. Educate yourself!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:55 pm 

I agree with Jon, above. I’m a hobbyist, not a photographer. There are plenty of dealers to buy from that offer professional pictures, returns, and hand holding. They charge a bit extra for these services, but for many it is well worth it.

I don’t list specs and links to manufacturers websites in my ads as I am only interested in buyers that are specifically looking for the items that I am selling. That’s my prerogative.

Both buyer and seller have an obligation in the sale. As a seller I describe the condition of the gear painfully accurately and grade very conservatively, and I over pack as it is my obligation to get the gear to the buyer in the condition described in my ad. It is the buyers obligation to know what they are buying, to ask as many questions as necessary and to render payment in a timely fashion. I’m not here to educate buyers, there are millions of websites that can do that better than I can.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:24 pm 

Photos should be taken with the intent to show prospective buyers its declared condition according to our Grading Guide:

http://www.usaudiomart.com/grading_scale.php

Someone who declares an item 10/10 Mint for example but has oodles of dust and scratches is obviously not making an honest declaration. We believe that this will seriously hinder successful sales. Likewise, someone who does post and item as 9/10 and can clearly demonstrate it's perfect condition by showing the item in good lighting from multiple viewpoints is going to have better success in selling his item.

You want to feature your item, not hide it. Today's smart phones are excellent picture taking devices. It's really not difficult to capture the condition of the item you are trying to sell. If you find that this is too cumbersome to do, successful sales will be less likely or the possibility of a Feedback Dispute (an item not arriving as described in the ad) is greater.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:19 pm 

It seems that some people read posts with some extremes attached. As the "guy" who wrote that I would like more information in in ad than a one line posting, how does one jump to the conclusion that I want five pages of information? Those postings are also assuming that the seller also responds to emails made by potential buyers inquiring about what they are selling. And as to educating myself, perhaps, just perhaps there are some things that are not necessarily easy to locate on the Internet. Hey, I am selling some Lumley Megavox amps but if you are reading this posting about my amps, then you know all about them. No? Well, go look them up.
And I did not say anything about photos but two nice clear photos are, well, nice.
I expect a full report on the specs of my amps....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:59 pm 

Ok, lets have some common sense! If you have a vintage or esoteric piece that needs explaining, then yes of course you cant just look it up. I am talking about 90% of the items on here that are extremely common. To "EXPECT" someone to list specs of a common item that they can just look up is a waste of time! Real easy, Take a few good quality pics that show the condition of the item, Give a brief description of the item if its a common item, more if its not a common item, and post the item. Not brain surgery! BTW, which amps do you need reports on? M-100 Or M150? Just dropped the mike :D