US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Computer to stereo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:54 pm 

Hello, I am hoping to get some advice. I have a newer DELL PC computer which has a opening for a card. I'm wanting to connect my computer to my Pioneer SX1280. I would like to have a clean FM stereo signal from on line radio stations. I have searched around for sound cards with RCA outputs and found that most are very expensive and are set up for gaming. I would just like to listen to some quality clean music. I was wondering what my options I might have. I would not mind buying a sound card setup for just music. I would rather not pay the added expense on something I would never use.
thanks for reading my post. :D

Post subject: Re: Computer to stereo
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:50 am 

I too have the 1280 & my reception sux. I have a soundblaster sound card in my Dell, that I run via optical to a mini converter that can handle optical & rca out. Works great!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:46 pm 

The best option I can suggest for both price and sound quality is an external "sound card" (  also called a converter ) connected to your computer via USB. The converter would have RCA outputs for your stereo.

Fiio is one company that makes inexpensive converters with the ins and outs you need. You can find them on Amazon. IME you will get much better performance this way than with any sound card which goes inside your computer.

It's sort of like Groucho Marx's joke about outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, and inside of a dog, it's much too dark to read. Inside of a computer, there's much too much going on to get a clean sound signal. Take the sound card out. An external converter is a friend to your music.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:05 pm 

Why not a little DAC like an audioquest dragonfly? All it has is a 1/8" headphone jack output and the usb input. Then all you need is a 1/8 to rca cable which are available anywhere. The sound will be really good and you don't need a sound card at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:54 pm 

Not sure what you mean by expensive for a soundboard as it appears you can get them for around $80. I have no experience with internal audio soundboards, but there are USB DACs out there for less than that, but I second the Dragonfly suggestion ($100). Very nice sound at a very reasonable price. If you want to spend more, there are enumerable DACs out there that take USB input at all price levels. My research suggests these offer superior sound to internal boards, but for wifi digital radio it would depend on the quality of the streaming only some of which is really of "CD" quality and some not even mp3 quality so it may not pay to get anything pricey unless you have other use for it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:36 pm 

Research Schiit Modi 2 Uber or Bifrost Dacs. Inexpensive, built well.USA made.