US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:57 pm 

I sold an LP through USAM, shortly afterward I get this email from Paypal saying:

Hello XXXXX XXX,

This email confirms you have paid using PayPal.

Payment details

Receiver email: sales@canuckaudiomart.com
Amount: $1.80 USD
Transaction date: January 18, 2017

Just curious what this fee is for? Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:45 pm 

Unfortunately, I do not have an enlightening answer for you. I would, however, like to suggest that when you find out what the mystery fee is for you return here and post an explanation for those of us who are wondering. I am curious if you have sold on the site previously and experienced no such fee? Or is this your first sale on AM?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:33 am 

http://www.usaudiomart.com/contact_us.php

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:23 am 

sing_to_me wrote:
Unfortunately, I do not have an enlightening answer for you. I would, however, like to suggest that when you find out what the mystery fee is for you return here and post an explanation for those of us who are wondering. I am curious if you have sold on the site previously and experienced no such fee? Or is this your first sale on AM?

I've sold 3 or 4 things on USAM, no fees in the past. This is the first time I generated an invoice for the buyer using the site.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:26 am 

riley804 wrote:
http://www.usaudiomart.com/contact_us.php

Thanks, I've contacted them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:26 am 
Site Admin

Hi modal,

I took a look and it seems that you used the USAM invoice system and your buyer paid via Paypal by clicking on the Invoice paid button to make a payment in the USAM payments platform.

When this happens, the total platform fee charged by Paypal includes a small fee sent to USAM, I think around 0.5% to 1% depending on the source of the funds. This "platform fee" is only charged if your buyer pays through the invoice, and is part of the brand new Invoicing system we designed for USAM to help make sellers' lives and process easier, and to help you receive funds more easily.

Basically, the system charges this small fee in exchange for the convenience of having the entire sales and payment process handled through USAM. Upon payment USAM handles sending confirmation to your buyer, to you (the seller), and updates the invoice as paid. We've also found that some buyers pay more rapidly or feel more comfortable receiving an invoice in this way since it feels more streamlined. Your buyer also has a permanent record in his account. Once you receive funds and ship the item, you can add tracking info to the invoice and mark it shipped and USAM will handle notifying your buyer. This is exactly why we developed the system: it makes it easier for sellers to invoice and charge their buyers, and it gives buyers an easy buying experience plus records for their own keeping. We believe this enhances the total buyer and seller relationship and experience over the long term. The invoicing system also enables you to accept major credit cards right on USAM, again with the same platform fee (the total platform fee is lower through Credit Card than Paypal, since Paypal itself has higher fees in general).

The fee is explained when you create the invoice and in our FAQ, but now that I review the text, the invoices, and the FAQ I can see its not as clear as it should be and I'll look at adjusting it to make it more clear plus also review the entire process so sellers understand what this is when they see it.

In the meantime, if you disagree that the invoice system has helped you, and don't feel USAM should take this fee I can refund you the $1.80 through Paypal. I do feel the fee is quite fair given the convenience it offers and the improved experience for your buyer as well as an additional means for us to continue to fund our operations and improvements, and will respect your request. Just email sales@canuckaudiomart.com and reference this thread and we'll take care of it.

In the future you can always avoid the fee by not invoicing through USAM and that's perfectly ok. This is an opt in convenience that helps sellers, buyers, and also "gives back" a little to USAM to help support our continued work. We absolutely support sellers and buyers and will continue to improve the site as much as we can for all members whether they use this invoice system or not.

Anyway, sorry about the confusion or scare this might have caused. I'm looking now to modify the text and FAQ and invoices involved to make sure its more clear.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:50 am 

Thank you very much for the explanation. No refund necessary. This is a fine service you offer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:35 am 

I have to say I usually read fee and posting information carefully and was quite surprised by the $1.50 fee. I usually take purchases offline but, not being aware of an invoicing fee, saw no reason to do that.

I don't need a refund but certainly did NOT find that fee to be obvious.

You don't hide your fee info as carefully as Agon, but could do better. The surprise was a negative but I still appreciate having a fee free sales vehicle... I now know better than to use the invoicing system. Cheap lesson learned.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:07 am 
Site Admin

Hi rbuchanan3,

When you were creating your invoice did you see and read the large blue box that said "Please read about fees"? It's a big box that is around 30% the size of the entire form. The feedback we've been given is that it is "big enough", but I understand it is very common for something like this to still not catch a user's attention despite our effort to make it fairly prominent. I'm hesitant to make the box any bigger or it will dominate the entire form, and we've tried things like popups and those were both annoying and didn't get read either, so I will review it again and try to make it stand out more for users to read. I'll also look into rewriting it again to be more clear.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:50 pm 

FWIW, I'm sure the notice is ample. Certainly large enough. And I think the trivial fee itself is more than justified especially as it increases the official nature of the transaction, affording extra security to buyer and seller alike.

The only issue I might have is the large banners on the site declaring "US Audio Mart is FREE!" and "America's largest FREE Hifi/Audio Classifieds Site!" etc. We know that it is indeed free to place and respond to ads, but I can also see the issue for someone being surprised when a fee is applied to a transaction.

Nonetheless, the warning you describe does occur before the transaction so all in all I don't see too much of an issue personally. My two cents.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:31 pm 

Probably did the payment on my phone for that transaction... my bad

USAM is a welcome tool.