US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:43 am 

I have only sold one item one here although I am now trying to buy a JMW tonearm. I assume all you do is reply to the Ad as I see them as sent messages although I am not getting a response and it still shows listed. I suppose it has been sold and the OP hasn't been addressed. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:53 am 

Welcome! to the forums.

Like you say it may have been sold or perhaps there is a pending sale; either way the seller should respectfully let any prospective buyers know what's going on but sometimes it just doesn't play out like it should.

Did you make the seller an offer that could be perceived as a low-ball? If so, that could be the reason why you're not getting a reply. Some sellers are able to respond politely when they get low-balled and others get their panties in a wad and when this happens you generally won't hear from them at all.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:43 am 

I tend to ignore lowballers (since I am at that point in life where my BS tolerance is very low), but I usually find the worst of the lowballers to inhabit a bottom-feeding site like Craigslist.

I had briefly listed a Rotel power amp for sale here and at CL. I had a couple of pleasant interactions here. On CL, I had some lowballer offer me less than half what I was asking..."because eBay." :roll: See, he found "the same amp" on eBay for less than half my asking price, so that gave him carte blanche to offer me the same. The only flaws in his argument? First, the amp he found was the model below mine (much less power). And second, that amp on eBay was beaten to hell and back, in terrible condition. Mine is maybe an 8/10 if not 9/10 in appearance. I didn't reply; I just reported his email as abusive which, IMHO, it was. ;) For some non-audio listings, I've found many buyers are armchair "experts" and think they can baffle me with all sorts of evidence why my listing is way overpriced. Never works with me. (I do some comparative shopping before listing anything for sale.)

I feel there is a better quality of buyers and sellers here on USAM. I've had a couple of non-replies as a buyer, but I just moved on to more communicative sellers. No harm, no foul. :) I also make certain to check the spam folder in email, but so far, no email from this site or any buyer or seller replies have ended up in spam.

If as sellers, we want to discourage lowballers, we easily could state in our ads that lowball responses will be ignored. At least they have a reason right there which they can read for themselves.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:46 am 

Wildcat445 wrote:
I tend to ignore lowballers (since I am at that point in life where my BS tolerance is very low), but I usually find the worst of the lowballers to inhabit a bottom-feeding site like Craigslist.

And if their low-ball offer is accepted, they'll relist it on CL or ebay hoping to make a quick buck.

Wildcat445 wrote:
On CL, I had some lowballer offer me less than half what I was asking..."because eBay." :roll: See, he found "the same amp" on eBay for less than half my asking price, so that gave him carte blanche to offer me the same. The only flaws in his argument? First, the amp he found was the model below mine (much less power). And second, that amp on eBay was beaten to hell and back, in terrible condition.

The vast majority of low-ballers are morons. They think they're clever but they don't pay attention to the crucial details.

Wildcat445 wrote:
I feel there is a better quality of buyers and sellers here on USAM.

This is true. It's a community and it's growing every day.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:13 pm 

I am going through the same thing. Emailed the guy selling the sony tcka3es for 350. He emailed me back and said he would include shipping. I responded saying go ahead and send me an invoice but no response. Sent 4 separate emails. I knew it was too good to be true. Anyways let's see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:02 am 

Sorry to say that the TC-KA3ES may have been sold already. There is another one that posted 3 days ago for $525.00 but I can't find the ad you're referring to for $350.00.