US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:28 pm 

Not sure what has happened with the site. I type in a search for i.e. 'B&W speakers" and get lots of returns of which the majority have nothing to do with the search requested. I realize that folks want exposure for the items they are selling. This site caters to the audiophile set. I really don't want to scroll through pages of items not searched for. Am I searching incorrectly, are searches being redirected through hidden text? This is not my memory of the site from when I started here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

Just to double check something, when I search for "B&W speakers" the results look pretty good to me. See here

Granted there are some unrelated ads showing up - B&W is a technically difficult search term for various reasons (it is short, it contains the & symbol), so the results aren't perfect, but what I see is most of the results on page 1 are related to B&W directly, and you can also restrict search to "titles only" like this here

Or you can just search for "B&W" in titles, and in the Speakers category, like this.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:24 am 

To add to the excellent advice above, you can also just type in 'bowers" and get all the listings.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:30 pm 

You might try leaving the "speakers" term out and just type "B&W" as I did. 115 to 116 site hits came up and I'd say roughly 90% are relevant to their speaker products, etc, which is pretty good. As for any search/query, use the minimum and most targeted words you can unless you are sifting generic responses for a more widely attributed term. This method works for any type of search whether it be inside a particular site or doing a whole net, google-type search. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:04 am 

Having a different kind of trouble here. Every time I perform an advanced search, specifying that ads must match ANY of my keywords, the function treats it as having specified ALL of my keywords.

Therefore, when I search ACCUPHASE FOCAL SONOS I get nothing, but if I just search one of those words, I get results.

I'm not specifying anything in any other fields. Advice welcome.

Quote:
No results found for "ACCUPHASE FOCAL SONOS". Try the search again with other keywords or with different options.
(No I didn't include quotes)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:56 pm 

I think the reason you're not getting any results with a search like Accuphase Focal Sonos is that there probably aren't any classified ads with all 3 of those manufacturers within the ad header or ad text. You're trying to save some time by searching for all 3 at once but your search is too broad.

I can't say with any degree of certainty but I think most search engines would come up empty when searching for ads listing 3 different manufacturers. So that's why you've had some success when you've narrowed each search down to just one of those manufacturers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:14 pm 

Thanks, but the advanced search facility permits you to specify ANY or ALL keywords and I'm specifying ANY.

Quote:
Every time I perform an advanced search, specifying that ads must match ANY of my keywords, the function treats it as having specified ALL of my keywords.

Still a bit flummoxed here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Archieguy:

The "ANY" search option at this time searches "ANY 2" as the minimum requirement. Sorry for the confusion. It was necessary for us to make this optimization some time ago to keep results more relevant.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:43 pm 

Oh wow thanks. That does sort of clarify matters here.

Only now I check and Cambridge Jolida Luxman Naim Rotel Tannoy Wharfedale ACCUPHASE FOCAL SONOS brings up zero, which I can understand. No two of those brands' names occur in the same ad.

BUT.... Cambridge amp Jolida Luxman Naim Rotel Tannoy Wharfedale ACCUPHASE FOCAL SONOS also brings up nothing.

Quote:
USAM Warning
No results found for "Cambridge amp Jolida Luxman Naim Rotel Tannoy Wharfedale ACCUPHASE FOCAL SONOS". Try the search again with other keywords or with different options.

Whereas Cambridge amp brings up results. This indicates that the ANY qualifier is still acting as ALL.
Just FYI.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:19 am 
Site Admin

Hi Archguy,

With more extensive testing it seems that the ANY option might express unexpected behaviour depending on the query given, which is a behaviour caused by the indexing engine we rely on. The majority of searches don't use completely unrelated keywords so it's not something that is easily spotted.

The recommended usage that will yield the best results is to search by a single model/brand at a time and that will usually yield good results.

Since we also require ads to be posted as 1 product per ad this is also the most logical way to search (nobody should be listing an ad with 2 or more brands in it).

In the meantime we've marked down what we suspect to the be the cause of the problem and hopefully in the future when we can update that indexing engine it will resolve this issue.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:38 pm 

Quote:
The recommended usage that will yield the best results is to search by a single model/brand at a time and that will usually yield good results.

Since we also require ads to be posted as 1 product per ad this is also the most logical way to search (nobody should be listing an ad with 2 or more brands in it).

Thanks for your attention to this issue. Just to be clear, searching for a single model/brand at a time is indeed the logical way to search given the present limitation of the function. But I seriously doubt I'm the only person who ever wants to search for a couple or more brands at a time. On most sites it's not difficult to do this.