US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Amplifier heat
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:07 pm 

I recently sold a moscode 600 on this site to a man that has used tube amps in the past and was worried about heat. I told him the amp gets nowhere as hot as a full on tube amp. He wants me to refund his money and return the amp cause it runs at 104 degrees at idle after 5 hours and 113 degrees while under load.I don't know where he's measuring it at, but it seem pretty normal to me. I have SS amplifiers that run hotter than that.Please tell me your thoughts on how I should handle this? Thank you
Andrew
Quote from buyer:
Yesterday I played 1 album though it and left everything idle so later I play some more material . About 5 hours later
I enter my audio room and I notice it is warm in there. I checked the temp on the amp it is at 104. It heated up my room.
I have a friend that has one and it gets warm to the touch. My 150 doesn't get near this warm/hot? There may be a problem
with this amp. then I played a couple of cd and the temp rose to 113? Does not seem normal for a hybrid.
But to sit there on idle for
5 hours and be 104, is not right. You must have known this amp got hot, why didn't you tell me this when we spoke.

Last edited by pipetowers on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Amplifier heat
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:11 pm 

If he's measuring right at the amp, those are very low temps.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:45 pm 

Archguy wrote:
If he's measuring right at the amp, those are very low temps.

I don't know where he's taking the readings. I have a message into him but no reply as of now.

He just got back to me. Taking the readings at the top corner of the amplifier.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:33 pm 

I'm glad the dude didn't buy my Class A amps, (not that they are for sale). These things run WAY hotter than the temps you list.

I agree, those readings are nothing. Maybe he needs to buy a Class D amp, if he's that concerned about heat...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:44 pm 

It seems that the amp is operating properly and you told the gent that it doesn't run as hot as a tube amp, and it doesn't. Past that it is incumbent on the buyer to know what he is buying.

That said, I would take the amp back just becasuse it's a hobby and I want to see everyone happy. But I don't think that it is required in this situation.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:28 am 

Here's the latest from the buyer

FYI. My friend with the 600 got a
Temp gun. 68 when he turned it
On. 77 after 1 hour. Then after
Playing for several hours 89.6.
The first hour was idling. He is
Also using 4ohm speakers. Anyway
There are a lot of variables here
Between the mods and ambient
Temps and humidity.

To me this sounds like a man with mental health issues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:40 pm 

He just needs a different hobby. Send him round to my place: we can fry eggs on top of any of my Class-A amps. Though it does leave a bit of a mess on the internals.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:09 am 

I am the person with the Moscode 600, I have owned 7 moscode, 600's and 300's, and the guy who bought ur amp is a friend and he is quoting temps that I took on my amp, played my amp straight from 8am to 7.30pm ran 9 sds, and 6 albums thru it with 4ohm speakers, the hottest the amp got was 98.6, I measured on top of amp, front left and right, at the fan, at the transformer, at the coke can sized caps, front corners and top at their hottest never crossed 77.8deg, and incidently the air conditioning was being repaired and outside temp was 99deg. I have owned Audionote, threshold, pass labs, McIntosh, BAT, VAC, audible illusion, perreaux etc etc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:12 am 

Also the guy who bought your moscode knows his stuff and is as straight as they come, he has a lot of excellent tube and solid state equipment and a true audiophile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:31 am 

Archguy what amps do you have, I see you are in Richmond are you part of RAS, I am in Charlottesville.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:05 pm 

Audiojunkie11, where is your listening room? Underground? 99 degree day, no air conditioning and your amp runs at 68 degrees! After playing music for 11 1/2 hours rises to 98.6 degrees. I have a hard time believing that, sure you didn't take your own temperature. I sold him the amp in good faith after talking to him in depth about tube vs solid state and his desire to buy my amp. I personally don't think that my amp running for 5 hours and registering a max of 113 degrees after playing music is unreasonable given it has 5 signal tubes and 2 regulator tubes and 12 mosfet output transistors. He basically accused me of selling him a defective unit. Then turned around and sold it to another gentleman( which I set him up with)for more than he paid for it. Audiophile I don't think so!