US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:38 pm 

Ok the official details of the 'Epitome+' chain:

The major improvements comprise a special power cable to feed the single DC-30W. I have had a long and extensive experience with power cords - over 50 or so different ones over the years. Some of my favorites the C.P.C.C. Top gun HiCurrent, Synergistic Research X2 Reference Active, SR Tesla, Nordost Valhalla, Shunyata Power Snakes, Shunyata Venom, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme, Tellurium Q Black, etc...

Some of these are just insanely expensive - like the $3000 Nordost Valhalla's. They all sound different. My previous best sounding power cord was the amazing Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme - I discovered and posted about back on the XU208 thread. Around $350 it was an audio bargain and become a very popular cable as folks tried it.

With my experience with the importance of EMI/RFI and shielding I wanted to attack that issue with a cable that addresses those issues. A power cable can pick up all kinds of noise - and the worst kind - high frequency noise that is very hard to filter out. This comes from all around radio and WiFi transmissions, capacitive coupling with the houses wiring, and other electronic devices, etc...

Quoting Caelin Gabriel, President - Shunyata Research
Quote:
...Your dedicated power lines, rhodium plated outlets and large gauge wires in the wall in no way immunize you to power line noise. Power line noise is picked up from radiated electromagnetic waves all around you. This includes AM and FM radio, wifi, cell frequencies and the list goes on. Furthermore noise reduction is always "localized". That means that just because you have a power conditioner that reduces conducted noise does not mean that the noise doesn't re-introduce itself farther down the line. So if you have some form of power conditioning at the electrical panel, the radiated noise will be picked-up by the in-wall wiring that acts like an antennae. This means you WILL have noise on the power line at the wall outlet. This is why we talk about the "distributed power conditioning" approach to noise reduction.

Quote:
...For example, using the Enteq at my house I found that I had a very strong radio station being picked-up by my upstairs power lines. I also could hear the very distinctive sound of LED lighting noise pollution. Quite insidious actually.

http://www.audioshark.org/power-conditi ... 11713.html

After much experimentation I believe I have come up with an excellent solution that uses both active magnetic EMI/RFI reduction and passive thermal dissipation. The cable while having a tinned copper braided shield - the shield is not connected to ground. The reason many shielded power cords have not sounded great - these shields can act as capacitors and build charge - releasing it into the ground. A unattached copper shield with dissipate EMI/RFI energy thermally in a passive fashion.

The wire is a special heavily silver plated copper 10awg - teflon shielded - with the three wires twisted to min capacitive coupling. There are four layers of shielding - with two between the silver wires and the copper shielding - and that copper shielding is designed to be lose and distanced from the inner wires. Finally a solid one piece shrink wrap as added protection. I hate these cables with that delicate nylon mesh on the outside. It always seems to come lose at the terminals and gets holes in it from snagging. The wires are chemically treated with Nordost ECO 3, and the Wattgates with ProGold GxMD contact enhancer and oxidation inhibitor.

And about the connectors - Wattgates of course. Not cheap at all! But worth every penny!

Wattgates cyro process is one of the best:

Quote:
Wattgate Cryo Treated Products
After ten years of researching cryogenic technology, we now cryogenically treat our Wattgate line of products in house. Years of testing different methods and processes within the cryogenic field have led us to develop our own optimized approach.
Our method of Deep Cryogenic Treatment(DCT) is of the indirect or dry type. A specially optimized cycling method is employed to achieve maximum benefit for our products. With the indirect or dry process the parts are never subject to direct contact with liquid nitrogen, avoiding thermal shock to the materials. The process takes between four and five days to complete. We have truly enjoyed the sonic results of this process, we think you will too.
Look for the Cryo Treated logo to be sure that you are getting Cryo Treated Wattgate products.

So here I christen the 'Epitome+' power cable
Attachment:
Attachment:
IMG_0564.JPG
IMG_0564.JPG [ 364.79 KiB | Viewed 1822 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0565.JPG
IMG_0565.JPG [ 712.73 KiB | Viewed 1822 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0566.JPG
IMG_0566.JPG [ 760.01 KiB | Viewed 1822 times ]

Ok how does it sound? Well it's better then the Cerious Tech Graphene in every way. Far more detail retrieval, supremely musical with a natural rich tonality (as you all know I'm a big tone buff), deep and extended bass - just cavernous (esp now with the USB 3.0 hub/LT3045 the other part of the 'E+' chain improvement.

With the heavy gauge silver plated copper - this combines the best sound attribute of each metal. Not overly bright - but with great high end extension - and with a glorious rich mid-range tone - balanced with a deep and extremely well defined bass.

But it's the dynamic 'jump' or energy that this power chord exhibits was the real standout attribute. Both the fine micro-dynamics, the snap of a guitar string or the extreme definition of snares. Coupled with the extra detail presents a truly 'live' and realism that is so addictive.

All this for a very reasonable cost.

The only down side - the shielding and heavy gauge wire makes for a stiff cable. It can be shaped to fit - but needs a little force to bend it. And the break in period - 400-500 hours, as most silver cables are known for.

Now on to the other part of the 'E+' chain - the USB 3.0 hub powered with a 5VDC LT3045 box. Just add more clarity, transparency, focus and definition to the proceedings. This new chain is the best SQ I have ever heard - just trouncing my old $30K analog rig:
No comparison! Analog is dead! Long live digital - computer digital! USB/GB Ethernet computer digital!

So here is the new ranking:
Here would be my current ratings and rankings (the numbers are just a relative number - they are not percentages). The Breeze Audio (Talema) DU-U8 = 100

Obviously these are my subjective ratings YMMV - and yes I have owned (had a loaner) all these for an extended period of time:

'Epitome+' Hybrid USB/Ethernet GB LAN chain 'Epitome+' power cable 3.0 USB Hub - 700 YES i't really that much better! :mrgreen:
'Epitome' Hybrid USB/Ethernet GB LAN chain (see post on the prior page and page 100) 500 - YES it's that good!
'Ultra' Hybrid USB/Ethernet GB LAN chain (details to long to list) 370
BURL B2B DAC with DANTE Brooklyn II/ modded w/LPS power 285
REDNET 3/Cerious Graphene/Mutec 3+ USB (SPDIF)/Antelope OCX (RN wClock) 270
REDNET 3/Cerious/Mutec 3+ USB/Audience au24 se digital cable 250
REDNET 3/Cerious/Mutec 3+ USB (SPDIF reclocker)/AS Sliver Statement dig cable 240 - Right about here is where I felt my old $30k Analog rig was finally surpassed (VPI Super Scout Master Signature/Dynavector XV1-S/all Nordost Vahalla cabling including the VPI tonearm/Bent Audio Silver Step-Up transformers/Conrad Johnson totl tubed Phono Pre-amp/Siemens CCa early '60s NOS tubes).
REDNET 3/Cerious Power Cord 220
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/ iPur2/Startech GB LAN Iso USB 170
Mutec 3+ Smart Clock USB/Cerious Power Cord 155
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/ iPur2 145
PUC2 Lite TeraDak DC30W/Cerious/Regen 135
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious 135
DXIO Silver/TeraDak DC-30W/Cerious 130
Singxer X-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/iPur2 125
PUC2 Lite - USB power 110
Singxer F-1 Stock feed 110
Breeze/Cerious Graph/WBT RCA Nexgen 109
Breeze DU-U8 with Cerious Graphene 108
Breeze DU-U8 (Talema version) 100
Breeze DU-U8 (BingZi version) 95
Hydra Z with LPS 92
Melodious MX-U8 (upgraded caps) 85
Melodious MX-U8 (stock) 81
Gustard U12 (upgraded caps) 76
Gustard U12 stock 72
iDAC DAC2 (used as a DDC) 65
Musiland USB3.0 US Dragon 65
M2Tech EVO with LPS 60
Audiophileo 2 USB Power 50
M2Tech Hiface 40

I will have the new dedicated 'E+' thread up later today or tomorrow

Three Cheers!

USB EPITOME + CHAIN:

DATA CHAIN: WIN10 MUSIC SERVER (SSD for OS)>JB (modded as a VBUS Blocker)>LH LABS 2G(Data leg)>Startech LEX>BJC CAT6 550Mhz Ethernet>Startech REX>USB 3.0 Hub>JB (modded as a VBUS Blocker)>LH LABS 2G(Data Leg)>W4S Recovery>USB Hard Aadpter>iFi iPUR2>Singxer F-1>SR Element Copper(Galieo MPC)>DAC60 (heavily modded/HG tubes).

MUSIC SOURCE CHAIN (Very Important!)
SLC mSD 4GB, two 256GB PNY USB 3.0 Sticks>USB 3.0 Hub(LT3045 5VDC Box)>USB 3.0 Micro Cable (AQ Forest)> REX

POWER CHAIN: PC SeaSonic fanless high PSRR (El Fidelity SATA filters)
Single TeraDAK DC30W (Nichicon HW caps) set to 8VDC>GhentAudio Oyiade/Canare Quad Star Strained Copper (four 20awg) Split GX12:

AC chain: SR TeslaPlex>Blue Circle PLC Puck(AC filtering and isolation)>Art Audio PB4X4Pro(AC filtering and isolation)>'Epitome+' power cable>TeraDakDC30W

One leg of GhentAudio GX12 to REX.
Second leg of GhentAudio GX12 to 'Y' one leg feeding 7.5VDC LT3045 Box>Quad Star Silver Teflon Copper Braid Shielded 2.1mm DC cable>the RuR>iDefender>USB Hard Adapter>iPur2>F-1
Attachment:
dc12-1.jpg
dc12-1.jpg [ 86.12 KiB | Viewed 1819 times ]

Leg two of that 'Y' DC split cable to another DC 'Y' - one leg to a 5VDC LT3045 box>Quad Star Silver Teflon Copper Braid Shielded DC 2.1mm>DC to USB Adapter Copper Braid Shielding>Power Leg of the 2G>LEX

The second leg of this 'Y' to another DC 'Y' one leg to 5VDC LT3045>Quad Star Silver Teflon Copper Braid Shielded DC cable to DC to USB female Shielded Adapter>USB to SATA power cable Copper Braid Shielding>PNY CS2211 SSD (ext to PC case Faraday Enclosure) Data SATA Amphonel Dual Cable SATA III Copper Braid Shielding>PC SATA port.
Attachment:
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg [ 123 KiB | Viewed 1819 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0416.JPG
IMG_0416.JPG [ 290.01 KiB | Viewed 1819 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0437 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0437 - Copy.JPG [ 443.37 KiB | Viewed 1819 times ]

The open leg of this DC 'Y' to another DC 'Y' 5VDC LT3045 Box>Twisted Pair Silver Teflon DC cable 2.1mm to 1.35mm>USB 3.0 HUB

Note the PC Server is running Fidelized Pro - Purist level

On the Startech I use - and there a few different ones out there - it is this one:
Startech USB2G4LEXT2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HF ... UTF8&psc=1

Note it must be the four port GB LAN version. I have tried some others and they sounded awful.

ICRON is the OEM producer of this unit but has since changed the chipset from XLINX SPARTAN 6 FPGA to custom ASIC's. I have compared both and they sound identical to me.

ICRON Icron Ranger 2304GE-LAN:
https://www.icronshop.com/icron-brand/i ... 2304ge-lan

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amphenol-Ultra- ... 4d46afb64d

Last edited by Tubelover2 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:28 pm 

Great new focused thread, Bob. Always appreciate your sharing of new information and experience. Will you be detailing the recipe for the new power cable build or will you be offering built cables for the non-DIYers?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:17 pm 

mtruong34 wrote:
Great new focused thread, Bob. Always appreciate your sharing of new information and experience. Will you be detailing the recipe for the new power cable build or will you be offering built cables for the non-DIYers?
Thanks for the post. You're the first in what will likely be another great thread.

I'm sitting here just getting blown away by the best sound I could ever have asked for. Thumbing through the new Music Direct catelogue, laughing at all the $1000 turntables (like the Rega P3 I owned), and $900 phono cartridges. This 'E+‘ digital chain is so far beyond anything analog I've owned or heard! It's a joke.

Anyway to your question, these 10 gauge wires are a beast to mount properly to the Wattgate terms, not an easy project. And the special 10awg silver wire took a long time to find. So only offered as a non- DIYer build.

But the price is very reasonable, and SQ blows the $3K Nordost Valhalla away! At less then a 10th of the price (although I have to admit the Val is prettier).

As you know my mantra is best SQ for least cost, damn the looks!

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:14 am 

Bob, how do you achieve "active magnetic EMI/RFI reduction" in your cable design. I take this to mean some type of electronics built into the cable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:42 am 

Ok the official details of the 'Epitome+' chain:.....

Great to see your new thread to clarify the latest version of your chain. Wanted to check as this link you posted does not seem to work for me:

"On the Startech I use - and there a few different ones out there - it is this one:
"

Assume (as you have mentioned before) it's the same as the Icron Ranger 2304GE-LAN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:50 am 

mtruong34 wrote:
Bob, how do you achieve "active magnetic EMI/RFI reduction" in your cable design. I take this to mean some type of electronics built into the cable.
No electronics - ferrite magnetics. But they have to be the right ones - tried many different ones.

These have been used on some very expensive cables - like the Siltech's
Attachment:
download (1).jpg
download (1).jpg [ 322.76 KiB | Viewed 1673 times ]

The real ones (not the Chinese fakes sold on EBay) sell for thousands.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:00 am 

tapatrick wrote:
Ok the official details of the 'Epitome+' chain:.....

Great to see your new thread to clarify the latest version of your chain. Wanted to check as this link you posted does not seem to work for me:

"On the Startech I use - and there a few different ones out there - it is this one:
"

Assume (as you have mentioned before) it's the same as the Icron Ranger 2304GE-LAN
Good catch - yes they are the same - will update that. Here are the correct links:
Startech USB2G4LEXT2

ICRON Icron Ranger 2304GE-LAN:
https://www.icronshop.com/icron-brand/i ... 2304ge-lan

Thanks!

PS: I also updated hearing the ASIC vs the FPGA versions and they sounded identical to me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:15 am 

"....PS: I also updated hearing the ASIC vs the FPGA versions and they sounded identical to me."

Great thanks Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:56 pm 

Tubelover2 wrote:
mtruong34 wrote:
No electronics - ferrite magnetics. But they have to be the right ones - tried many different ones.

These have been used on some very expensive cables - like the Siltech's
Attachment:
download (1).jpg

The real ones (not the Chinese fakes sold on EBay) sell for thousands.

OK gotcha. I didn't see the ferrites in the pictures of your 'RB2013 Sig' power cable. I guess they are covered by the heat shrink?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:44 am 

mtruong34 wrote:
OK gotcha. I didn't see the ferrites in the pictures of your 'RB2013 Sig' power cable. I guess they are covered by the heat shrink?
Yes they need to held stable and close to the terminations. I tried many different positions and using just a single versus dual - this was the best configuration. SQ wise.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:29 am 

OK last night did a little experiment - tried two LT3045 boxes in series. I had a 8VDC handy so I moved the DC-30W's voltage from 8VDC to 8.5VDC. Now I ran one of the GhentAudio GX12 split DC wires to the REX (no filters) and one to a series of 'y' DC spliters as before. But this time I ran one leg to the 8VDC LT3045, then by way of a 6in star quad silver teflon copper braid shielded cable to the input of the 7.5VDC LT3045 feeding the RuR/iDefender/iPur2/F-1.

And the listening results where excellent! At first subtle - larger sound staging and deeper penetration BEHIND me! When I went back to the prior configuration with just the 7.5VDC LT3045 feeding the RuR - the sound field returned to it's previous dimensions.

So this is a win - not nearly the improvement from going from no LT3045 (straight from the DC-30W) to just one LT3045. But worth further explorations.

Also I ran the system all night - with warm temps here - and woke to the system playing perfectly. So going from 8.5VDC to those other 5VDC did not cause any shut down/overheating issues.

So I'd say it's safe to run the 5VDC's with 8.5VDC inputs.

Cheers!