US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:59 pm 

I recently acquired a Kendwood KD 5070 as a project, Im wondering if I should consider applying a couple of drops of oil to the bearing, the owners manual said not needed for 20,000 hours... what is the general consensus on a drop of oil here and there on a vintage TT bearing ? cant hurt anything right ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:17 pm 

Oil is not oil. I keep a whole shelf of different oils for the vintage turntable restorations that I do. The oils vary in viscosity. It's best to locate the service manual for your turntable and see if a specific type of oil is speccd.

In the event it is not, a medium grade machine oil or sewing machine oil is probably a safe bet.

Before applying the oil, remove the platter and thoroughly clean the well (the female part of the bearing) using lighter fluid and a lint free cloth. This is much more important than adding oil as it removes abrasives that are suspended in the old oil. While the bearing is apart, inspect the male part of the bearing and thrust plate for wear. Polish as needed.

After everything is clean, add a few drops of oil to the well, run a line of oil down the spindle (male part of the bearing) and reassemble.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:34 pm 

Thanks for the reply ^ ,

after reading lots of posts on forums about oil and turntables i was very cautious, just a finger and a smear of synthetic high mileage :D is all I could bring myself to do, thankfully everything seems to be working very nicely, I hope it stays that way ..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:18 pm 

I prefer not to use automotive oils in any bearing with polymer parts. Thrust plates are often made of polymers as well. Since automotive oils commonly contain a number of additives, including detergents,and dispersants, I feel that they are fine on an all metal bearing. Probably over cautious on my part, but I have been rebuilding turntables for 40 years and old habits die hard.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:22 am 

no problems so far, tt works and sounds great and holds speed like a champ.

hopefully i got lucky, but maybe ill be replacing the bearing in the next 18 months ?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:41 pm 

I doubt it. Beautiful Japanese turntables will probably outlast us all! Enjoy.