US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:37 pm 

Question: Have potential buyer that wants to buy a listed item, but has zero stats across the board. Ad views are even zero ???, yet he has to have looked at my ad to respond, correct? According to the profile he has been a member for over a year. He seems nice enough in his correspondence, but wonder how it'd be possible to stay off the radar, or bypass this particular stat? Potential buyer also said that he recently setup his PayPal account and isn't very versed in how the transaction works.

I am asking him if he is a member of any audio forum or has any previous buying history on any other forum. Figure it's highly unlikely that he uses eBay without a PayPal account so apprehensive about completing any kind of transaction.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:30 am 

see if you can arrange to have a conversation on the phone .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:53 am 
Site Admin

Our safety tips mention that knowing a person's number is not a form of security, people change their cell phone numbers all the time. However, talking on the phone you might be able to form a gut feeling. I suggest reviewing our safety tips (linked at the bottom of every page in the classifieds).

If you have good feedback on USAM, Agon, Ebay etc then you can insist on a payment form that protects you more than your buyer (eg money wire), but our safety guidelines also encourage buyers to pay with a safe payment form like Escrow or Paypal.

If accepting payment from Paypal it can help that the buyer has a Verified Paypal account and you can insist only on shipping to a paypal verified address that is a residential address. Make sure you follow all of Paypal's seller protection guidelines (read them carefully) and package the item properly, ship with tracking number, ship with insurance, and take photos of the item with Proof of Ownership (eg a piece of paper with today's date) showing the item's condition before packing, showing how it's packed, and what it looks like packed (all with Proof of Ownership photos). I know this sounds like maybe being a bit over cautious and not everybody does it, but if you want to be extra careful they are steps that might offer a bit more protection to you as the seller.

Again, read the Paypal seller protection fine print, and don't do a deal if your gut tells you something is wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:30 am 

I may call and talk to him. He says he already has a MCP-18 that he really likes. He said his goal to buy this as a backup because the company doesn't make these any longer. I have a friend locally that buys similar gear, strictly as backup. He really does just set it aside for a "just in case scenario".

After some more correspondence through e-mail, I do feel better about it, but will read the seller protection section on PayPal. Also, the picture suggestions are also something I'll do this time. I am hit and miss doing this, but will do anything that might help protect, in the event he makes a claim.

I did have an issue with the one sale I completed here a while back. It was about 88 days after the guy completed the transaction he filed a claim with PayPal saying that he didn't authorize the sale. It really bothered me that he would make such a claim, but I had e-mails and had shipped the mono-blocks to the verified address on record with PayPal. Once they had that information it was within hours PayPal dropped his case after verifying delivery of the amps.

BTW, this member is still actively selling today! I had sent a warning about his fraudulent claim and he's still able to buy and sell here? That certainly doesn't make me feel safe.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:19 pm 

Want to let everybody know that I've gone through with the sale. Spoke to the gentleman on the phone for 2 hours about our setups, addiction to audio, and am confident that he's just as crazy as the rest of us! Well I know that I lose my mind when it comes to audio. He actually has a better handle on it than I do. Hope that he doesn't invoice me for 2 hours of therapy?!? :lol:

We took care of invoicing and payment while on the phone. Will ship the pre out this week. Almost missed out on a good experience. He's likely one of the few that know the NuForce MCP-18 preamp and wants a second one as a backup, or to put to use in a second system.

The one previous sales experience causes me to proceed with additional caution, since it was my first and only sale through the Mart. Most authentic enthusiasts are honest, but you know what they say about the bad apple? Thanks for the encouragement riley804 to have a conversation and admin for sharing your thoughts and ideas about [i]sound[/i] selling practices.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:49 pm 

Everything went great with the sale/buyer. He's a true gentleman and very knowledgeable and easy to work with. I encourage anybody that is potentially selling to somebody with little, or no, feedback to have a discussion over the phone. It won't guarantee legitimacy, but it may help give you a sense of whether to complete the sale or duck and run. Left very positive feedback for him.