US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:29 pm 

Hi, I'm sort of a newbie at this site so bear with me. I just sold a piece of equipment here and both the buyer and I relied on the "calculate shipping bull**** button" to negotiate overall price. However, when i actually purchased the label to ship, the cost was more than 2x more than the cost provided by the bull**** button. During negotiation I had included the value of insurance in the "bull**** shipping calculatior button" options field. So, nauturally, I thought that the price the bull**** calculator button provided as shipping costs included the insurance. Wrong. When I actually purchased the label, insurance was a separate charge on top of the already doubled shipping charge. WTF?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:02 pm 

Word to the wise: never use any of the shipping calculators on USAM, CAM, AudiogoN or ebay. Their accuracy can be problematic, even if the calculators themselves are actually linked to the carriers: USPS, Fedex, UPS, DHL etc.

Once you have the weight and package dimensions (H x W x L) of the item that you're shipping, go directly to the shipper website of your choice and enter that information including insurance and any extra services that you might need like Saturday delivery, Signature Confirmation etc. When you have a break-down of the total cost you can send a screen-shot to your buyer so he'll know that he's paying the actual cost of shipping without any mark-ups....or screw-ups.

Happy buyer = happy seller.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:47 am 

Thanks for the reply and advice on how to determine shipping between the buyer and seller. However, why have a misleading "Calculate Shipping" button at all? Whether intended or not it just seems a bit Trumpish.

Brian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hello boleary,

Thanks for posting this question, and sorry you had such a negative and frustrating experience.

The shipping label calculator should reflect the exact amount purchasing a label on USAM should cost as long as all the parameters are the same: same shipping weight, same dimensions, same "From" and "To" address, and same insured value. The calculator and the label purchase systems use the same quoting services and get rates directly from UPS, Fedex, or USPS, from whom the labels are directly purchased. In actuality the calculator is not really a calculator so much as a shipping quote generator - whatever is quoted can be purchased at that exact moment for that price.

If there is a huge discrepancy we need to figure out what went wrong and fix it.

When I go to your ad and then click on the "calculate shipping" button and enter the to and from information as provided in the label you purchased, the shipping calculator estimates the cost within $6USD of what you ended up buying for your label. The estimator also already takes insurance cost into account as long as the insured value field is filled. You can test this by removing the insured value in the calculator and you'll see the estimates go down.

Can you try something out and go to your item again and hit the "shipping calculator button" and enter the "To" country and zip code again and try finding shipping rates again, then tell me how far apart the price for Fedex Ground Home Delivery is? I'd like to find out why you experienced such a huge (100%) price difference between the calculator and the final label.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:39 am 

Thanks so much for pushing me on this! My bad! The zip code field had my Pennsylvania zip code in it and not the buyers California zip code. What's weird though is that I never noticed it and I don't recall entering the zip code, but totally my fault anyway. Just now, when I entered the correct zip code, the price was only 6 dollars less than what I actually paid, something I could live with. Given the slight difference though, perhaps the button ought to be called "Estimate Shipping?"

How can I delete this thread. Again, thanks for pushing me on this. So sorry.

Brian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

Before we delete this thread can I double check something?

You mention that the zip code field has the your PE zip code instead of the CA zip code for the buyer, if you go to any of your ads and click "calculate shipping", when the calculator box pops up has it already prefilled your own zip code into the "To:" field?

See the image here:

Attachment:
shipping_calculator_zip_field.png
shipping_calculator_zip_field.png [ 14.13 KiB | Viewed 335 times ]

Where the arrow shows, what do you see when you go to your classified and click "Shipping calculator"?