US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:34 am 

I have noticed that there have been numerous current model Revel speakers, specifically the F208s, for sale and was wondering why? Can anyone provide some insight on this?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:08 am 

I had a chance to buy a pair of demo f208 from sound advice for $2500 for the pair wow I was chopping at the bit to buy them. Then I demoed them what a let down, where they decent, yes. The amp and cd player running them miget have been the issue Sim moon . I listened for about 30 minutes and I couldn't listen any more they were irritating to my ears and brain not easy listening, Remember this, I was in a med size room and they definitely are for a large room, also not on my tube amp that should have warmed them up. I passed on them because it was a no return going out of buisness sale. IF I could have had 30 days to try them, break them in with my amp, I would have.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:26 am 

I heard the F208s recently and thought they sounded great and were easy on the ears as all Revels seem to be unlike some manufacturers who 'detail' you to death. I own Revel Ultima Studios and the similarity was evident. Great bass and an intoxicating midrange, providing the music has it and the electronics partnered with the speakers mesh.

I think there are so many REvels for sale is that they are affordable compared to so many of the other 'high end' speaker manufacturers and have better distribution and are sold by many dealers. I have never read a bad review of a Revel product, except here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:43 am 

I've never really warmed up to the Revel speakers. The Ultima & Ultima 2 series are pretty nice, but the Performa and Concerta series didn't float my boat.

I have a friend that has a complete Revel Performa series 5.1 HT system and my Paradigm Reference Studio HT system blows it out of the water.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:29 pm 

BUMP, The f208 needs watts! I listened to a pair that were driven by an Anthem 225i if I was in the market I would have bought them, but i'm still enjoying my salons.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:21 pm 

Now that Harman Int. is a part of Samsung, there may be a bit of nervousness on the part of owners regarding Samsung’s intention to support legacy products or even just a stigma to be associated with the marque.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:28 pm 

I was just about to put mine up for sale when I saw this post. There are a couple of reasons I am doing it and a couple of reasons I see others doing it.

My reasons:
1. Revel will continue to manufacture the F208 (for many years) but they are releasing a $10,000 version with Beryllium tweeter and ceramic woofers. I will migrate to it. Their is so much "right" about this speaker that the higher performing parts will really fill the gap between the F208 and Ultima2 Studio $16,995. Which is great but significantly larger.

2. Revel sold a lot of them. The F208 is the best many owners ever aspire. Speaker of the year type gear and many awards, etc. The tweeter and bass controls really allow it to "fit" into many situations. The front-firing bass port helps placement. There is no hype - at $5000, they're a great deal.

Others Sellers:
3. Upgrade to Ultima2 Studios or Salons. These mega buck speakers have the Beryllium tweeter already. They are available at good used pricing. Selected reviewers have these as current reference speakers in their own systems. If you have the space, they are great.

A couple of comments as an owner and through Dealer discussion. The F208 are pretty efficient 88.5db and have a 8ohm impedance. I have Mark Levinson gear which has solid, high-current amplification. These characteristics are not required to get good sound and I have run them with Priamre I32 Integrated class D with good results. The better the signal control; the beter the speaker performance. They are Audiophile and Home theater appropriate. A (quality) receiver is adequate but as with anything, setup can be the difference. I run them bi-wire. This makes a positive difference.

Samsung purchasing Harman will not have a profound influence. Likely a positive. Revel are manufactured within the Harman Luxury Division and there are manufacturing requirements stipulated for Mark Levinson and Revel in contracts with Lexus and Lincoln. These brands must maintain an "exceptional" and "market-leading" home audio component to continue the lucrative relationships with luxury car audio.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:32 am 

mg87544 wrote:
I was just about to put mine up for sale when I saw this post. There are a couple of reasons I am doing it and a couple of reasons I see others doing it.

My reasons:
1. Revel will continue to manufacture the F208 (for many years) but they are releasing a $10,000 version with Beryllium tweeter and ceramic woofers. I will migrate to it. Their is so much "right" about this speaker that the higher performing parts will really fill the gap between the F208 and Ultima2 Studio $16,995. Which is great but significantly larger.

2. Revel sold a lot of them. The F208 is the best many owners ever aspire. Speaker of the year type gear and many awards, etc. The tweeter and bass controls really allow it to "fit" into many situations. The front-firing bass port helps placement. There is no hype - at $5000, they're a great deal.

Others Sellers:
3. Upgrade to Ultima2 Studios or Salons. These mega buck speakers have the Beryllium tweeter already. They are available at good used pricing. Selected reviewers have these as current reference speakers in their own systems. If you have the space, they are great.

A couple of comments as an owner and through Dealer discussion. The F208 are pretty efficient 88.5db and have a 8ohm impedance. I have Mark Levinson gear which has solid, high-current amplification. These characteristics are not required to get good sound and I have run them with Priamre I32 Integrated class D with good results. The better the signal control; the beter the speaker performance. They are Audiophile and Home theater appropriate. A (quality) receiver is adequate but as with anything, setup can be the difference. I run them bi-wire. This makes a positive difference.

Samsung purchasing Harman will not have a profound influence. Likely a positive. Revel are manufactured within the Harman Luxury Division and there are manufacturing requirements stipulated for Mark Levinson and Revel in contracts with Lexus and Lincoln. These brands must maintain an "exceptional" and "market-leading" home audio component to continue the lucrative relationships with luxury car audio.

Great points. I wish i had the opportunity to hear these things ! lol.

There is some real engineering chops available there at Harmon. Samsung purchase means squat.

(Consider B&W Group purchase a couple years back (at about 430 million US$ purchase, I think, it pales to the billions on the Harmon Group acquisition) yet smart owner's understand today that product history, past/current has been a long-standing and intricate relationship best served by those in the host country(ies). Consider KEF (Reference): Made in UK owned/funded by Chinese corporation for dozens of years).

pj