US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:51 pm 

Russian Golden Lions. Are they any good? The Ruskies have been making tubes for years. Have they improved?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:20 pm 

Gold Lion, not Golden Lion. Of the ones I have tried the large signal tubes are excellent, KT77, KT88 and KT66, highly recommended. The U77 is, IMHO, inferior to vintage 5AR4s, but still a fine tube. The 12AX7 and 12AU7 I don’t care much for, particularly when vintage examples of these tubes are not very expensive.

They have all been reliable, save for a run of the KT88s early on that were subject to failures. Dramatic failures at that.

The rest I have not tried, but would not hesitate to if I needed them. I am intrigued by the 300B so I hope that someone chimes in with their impression of this tube.

Good luck with the hunt.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:33 am 

I have 2 quads of their KT88's in my Cary 120S mkII. They replaced the stock Electro Harmonix tubes the amp came with. A definite improvement. Not quite "as good" as say GE6550A's but excellent for the price. You'd probably have spend quite a bit more money to get better sounding KT88's, like NOS Gold Lions and good luck with that! They also appear to be built like tanks. I agree the 12AX7's aren't great, but I'm comparing them to NOS Mullard and Brimars which are awesome. If they made them, I would definitely try a 6SN7 from them without hesitation.