US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:54 pm 

I have been messing with needle drops for about 18 months and am getting fantastic results. Some (most) of my digital recordings sound to me better (more tone both ends, FAT bass and highs that sometimes allow me to guess ACCURATELY if they are Ziljan or Paiste, better vocal / lyric comprehension, and never fatiguing, where the industry release CD of the same album seems thin, smeared, radio edits re-masters and re-mixes, all sound BAD compared to a nice needle drop of some great original scratch and dirt free 1969 LP.

How do 'they' do it ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:19 am 

just from my listening experience.....your getting better results because your original vinyl will hopefully be from a master tape.... if u did a needle drop on a vinyl from todays re-issues,you will probably get cd type results. the cd's can mostly be dubbed down lower generation transfers..hence,the bad sound...if i make a cassette tape from my amazing vinyl rig(nottingham analogue hyperspace,kiseki purple heart) into my nakimichi tape deck from an original pressing of fleeetwood mac rumors..it will blow away most,not all, but most cd;s found out there...regards andy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:20 am 

and id rather have tics and pops but the instrument sound correct than a cd that is harsh and nothing sounds correct

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:09 pm 

sharethemusic wrote:
just from my listening experience.....your getting better results because your original vinyl will hopefully be from a master tape.... if u did a needle drop on a vinyl from todays re-issues,you will probably get cd type results. the cd's can mostly be dubbed down lower generation transfers..hence,the bad sound...if i make a cassette tape from my amazing vinyl rig(nottingham analogue hyperspace,kiseki purple heart) into my nakimichi tape deck from an original pressing of fleeetwood mac rumors..it will blow away most,not all, but most cd;s found out there...regards andy

Very astute explanation and this is true in my own experience as well. The source is always the key factor.

Nearly 25 years ago I recorded several Beatles LPs' on high-bias metal cassettes using the original Parlophone and EMI pressings from the UK as sources. Those tapes were recorded with a Thorens TD125 and a Nakamichi 581Z. Not surprisingly those tapes just absolutely blow away the recent CD reissues of the same Beatles albums. And it's not even close.

But I will say that the gap can be narrowed somewhat with a premium CD player. I purchased a Linn Ikemi last year and I realize it's a cliche' by now to say so but this CDP has allowed me to rediscover my CD collection in a way that I would not have thought previously possible. The CDs' in my collection that feature high-caliber recordings and impeccable productions are relevatory, revealing nuances that all but escaped previous CD players that I've owned. And even marginal-sounding CDs' sound much better, with less glare and other digital artifacts.

Can't say it enough: Source, source, source. Or better yet....Garbage in, garbage out.

sharethemusic wrote:
and id rather have tics and pops but the instrument sound correct than a cd that is harsh and nothing sounds correct

True dat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:34 am 

A CD maker,
what's that?
There are so many digital file formats and so many bitrates you can use to make one,
it's sorta silly to try and form any kind of blanket comparison.
Then of course there's your player and all the associated hardware you have in the system as well.
To think any commercial CD maker is limited somehow to worn-out LPs as source is ridiculous.
I wonder too how many hi-fi people have ever heard real instruments in the context of a musical composition
from a perfect seat
in a perfect hall
with perfect hearing
so that they know it's 'not correct'.
But how does any amplified instrument or voice sound 'correct' in the first place?
What happens here is rhetoric standing in for experience.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:33 pm 

to hifi jones..i cant believe u just wrote what u wrote! as u can tell,im a total analog freak..and ive been stuck on vinyl last 5 years as my vinyl playback is on another level..however,im getting sick of making sure everything is perfect..its a pain in ass as we know..so,i said to myself,how can i enjoy cd's again as i have 5,000 in storage inclduding tons of sacd's.... a buddy taught me quickly about high quality dacs as he has one of the best in the world by CONCERT FIDELITY. i wasnt going to spend 12k..so,he said:"andy,u have an oppo bdp105,you can get it modified"..i was like what??? well,i did it.just sent it to modwright for modification..google what dan does at modwright..anyhow,the sound will be very analog,very warm and should be fantastic..im super excited.....and yes your beatles must sound awesome..
to the guy who wrote about how do i know what correct is etc...its funny ,u mention experience..u might want to know the person u are talking about before u state that its all rhetoric..ive been to over 1000 concerts from the age of 12-50..ive recently stopped as my ears are shot.im also a professional drummer..i know whats correct,not only based on experience..its more about my love and passion for music...sure,the average joe who listens to pandora may not know whats correct..but,i dooooooo lmao all the best,andy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:35 pm 

my buddy who has the concert fidelity dac from japan and some crazy crazy transport(super modified expensive)..says a regular **** cd will blow away my sacd's on my unmodified oppo by a giant margin.. as i said cant wait to get my mod oppo back in 2 weeks..