US Audio MartUS Audio Mart
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Static Discharge
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:29 am 

I thought I had this issue solved last year, but it's returned. Around this time the air in my home listening room becomes drier and I get random static discharges in the right channel when I play records. My turntable is a VPI Super Scoutmaster Signature with the orginal acrylic platter, a 10.5" 3D printed tonearm with Nordost wiring and a Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge. I've run ground wires from the nut under the spindle to the ground on the terminal box and from there to the ground on my ARC SP11 MkII preamp and from there to the ground in an electrical socket. I've sanded the paint of the top of the tonearm bases spindle for better mechanical grounding of the tone arm. I wet vacuum my recoreds with a VPI 16.5 record cleaning machine and have tried the Milty Zerostat gun to no effect.

Before I upgraded to the 3D printed tonearm and the Ortofon cartidge I ran the standard JMW 9" Signature tonearm with Nordost wiring and a Lyra Helikon cartridge. I didn't have this issue with that combination of tonearm and cartridge. I don't want to use a record mat because I feel they change the sound too much. Next to running a humidifier in my listening room to bring the humidity up to 40% is there anything else I can do?

Post subject: Re: Static Discharge
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:10 pm 

I can offer a suggestion you wont like at first, but if you try it you may have some new thoughts about how and why you are getting static, and how you might get rid of it.

I have personally tested about 10 DIY TT matts in the last 3 months, 1 mat above all the others exhibited really good anti static qualities.

with every other mat as I turned the LP over after playing 1 side would notice static ( I can hear it ) some were better some worse

but 1 had no static at all !!

At my local goodwill stores I can find unwanted yoga matts by the shelf full, these matts are made of different kinds of rubber, felt, neoprene, foam etc, some thicker and softer some firmer and denser.

I was experimenting with isolating the LP from the platter - compared to clamping the LP to the platter.

The mat I built for myself, in 10 minutes for $1.00.that I happily discovered is the only mat I have that seems to produce zero static !!

Is one of the denser pieces of a rubber (not foam) yoga mat, about 1/4 thick (or slightly thinner) but its not a soft rubber, it feels unusually heavy for its thickness, its not thick but it is heavy. I placed an old LP on the mat and marked the circle with a sharpie (don't forget to also mark and carefully cut the hole in middle ) and cut it with scissors and an improvised 'center punch' = 60 seconds.

then I took that heavy circle of rubber and carefully glued it to a single layer of bubble wrap (not the double bubble stuff) the single layer stuff that is quite fragile, I glued the bubbles inside towards the rubber mat leaving a flat smooth plastic surface to meet the platter.

my thinking when I made the mat was I wanted to try a matt that isolated the LP from the platter, on a 'bed of air' just to see if that might sound different to the same LP on the same system, being 'clamped to' the platter.

The sonic results Im not positive of as everything sounds great, but the anti static properties of that mat I can confirm 100%

Its the mat I have left on my TT permanently, I doubt I will experiment more, ever.

I cant be certain of the sonic differences but I am 100% certain of the total absence of static.

and Im 99% certain static is not great for LP playback ?

Haha, turns out I was wrong, I use the matt with the bubbles facing up ( I went to take a photo for you and discovered I thought I had been using it the other way up, for weeks)

bubbles ******up**** this mat has zero static

Attachments:
IMG_0899.JPG
IMG_0899.JPG [ 60.65 KiB | Viewed 142 times ]
IMG_0903.JPG
IMG_0903.JPG [ 140.22 KiB | Viewed 142 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:23 am 

I think I've solved the issue with a two pronged approach. 1) I found a small humidifier in one of our closets and have set it up near the turntable. 2) I changed the grounding scheme. I now have a ground wire running from the spindle nut beneath the turntable to a screw on the motor housing, and also have a 2nd ground wire running from the terminal box to the preamp ground, then from the preamp ground to an electric socket ground. I've played several records, including ones freshly cleaned with the VPI 16.5, and there was not static discharge during playback on either side.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:35 pm 

If you mix 5% or 10% liquid fabric softener with water, and put it in a spray bottle and lightly spray the rug, or near the rack, with it you will be surprised at how quickly the problem will be gone. You shouldn’t need to reapply for quite some time. Just don’t get it on the gear.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:59 pm 

viridian2 wrote:
If you mix 5% or 10% liquid fabric softener with water, and put it in a spray bottle and lightly spray the rug, or near the rack, with it you will be surprised at how quickly the problem will be gone. You shouldn’t need to reapply for quite some time. Just don’t get it on the gear.

Another option along this line is to take a dryer sheet and gently wipe the turntable and immediate area surrounding the turntable. Surprisingly effective.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:17 pm 

Even another option that surprised the hell out of me, (well, until I thought about it awhile), was to be sure to wear slippers or shoes with rubber bottoms and not just socks. Socks will create static. This alone solved all my static problems.